Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for African grey parrot

Options
  • 15-06-2008 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭

hi just trying pm,ing you,but you must have your pm messaging off.
    can you please pm me as i,m looking for help on a african grey parrot,seen from one of the old threads here you might know who sells some?.

i tryed richie at birdworld,none at the moment,any help please m8.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

bond will reply hes probably away.
    I found this from an old thread.
    http://www.parrotsocietyireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Hi - sorry only just seen this - its been a busy weekend!

Have no idea where to get African greys at the moment - are you looking for a hand reared bird or aviary bird? I know Richie had a pair of avairy greys in the shop.

If I hear of any I will pm you.

Cheers

Faye

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭bassy

looking for a hand reared african grey,keep me in mind faye thanks.
    Bond-007 wrote: »
    Hi - sorry only just seen this - its been a busy weekend!

Have no idea where to get African greys at the moment - are you looking for a hand reared bird or aviary bird? I know Richie had a pair of avairy greys in the shop.

If I hear of any I will pm you.

Cheers

Faye

Will do :D

hey must get a look at your monkeys some day as i,m not far from portlaoise,could only imagine owning a monkey,the really are top pets to own.

Will do :D

• Advertisement

I will have a look for you also. I have my African Grey 6 years now. Wonderfull pet. You do need a hand reared one though. If its not , its like a dinosaur and would take your finger off.

thank you Dre,no i don,t want T-REX lol.will be going with a hand tamed one.
    hows your 6 year old one m8?,i say there a lot of fun especially when the start talking and picking up on different sounds etc.

I will have a look for you also. I have my African Grey 6 years now. Wonderfull pet. You do need a hand reared one though. If its not , its like a dinosaur and would take your finger off.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gversey

Copsewood avaries in Kilmacanogue Co.Wicklow, owned by Eddie Drew, was there about two weeks ago, he had some African Greys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

bassy wrote: »
    can you please pm me as i,m looking for help on a african grey parrot,seen from one of the old threads here you might know who sells some?.

I have my CAG coming up to three years now - she's a cracker.

I wanted to get her in Ireland but was unable to do so as nobody seemed to have them. However, I came across this site

http://www.parrotlinks.com/modules.php?name=Forums

and ended up meeting people in Holyhead who sold me "Chuckie". I had spoken to them a few times before I went over and since then they have answered every question put to them. Chuckie has turned out to be an incredibly tame CAG and in the three years I've had her she has not drawn blood once with me. I know other people with African Grey's who are literally butchered by their bird or cannot hold them at all - Chuckie is the opposite.

I would thoroughly recommend buying a hand reared CAG from the same people I did, though it would entail a trip over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I think there is one available in Sligo, if thats any good to you.

Cannings House and Garden
    Pearse Road
    Sligo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

Not to up on the whole parrot scene....but the pet shop in Kinsealy, Dublin has a good selection of parrots and similar birds. Very funny imitators...and loud as hell :)

not really as i,m in kilkenny,thanks for your input sueme.
    sueme wrote: »
    I think there is one available in Sligo, if thats any good to you.

Cannings House and Garden
    Pearse Road
    Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

bassy wrote: »

So Bassy did you get the parrot yet?

no not got one yet m8.
    IrishHomer wrote: »
    So Bassy did you get the parrot yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Just be careful who you buy a parrot from there is one in the Hollywood/Ballymoreeustace are that I would avoid like the plague. Not fond of the set up in a certain Wicklow one either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Do these birds usually have their wings clipped? I was horrified when I was told that a pet shop that I had previously thought was great was keeping clipped birds.
    I mean, why have a bird as a pet if you don't want it to fly?
    Its like having a fish that can't swim.

would you like to see your ag bird that cost a couple of hundred euros fly off.

Do these birds usually have their wings clipped? I was horrified when I was told that a pet shop that I had previously thought was great was keeping clipped birds.
    I mean, why have a bird as a pet if you don't want it to fly?
    Its like having a fish that can't swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

It's more a case of If the bird happens to fly off it will more than likely be mobbed to death by crows, and will probably starve to death.
    Also, birds with clipped wings tend to be less boisterous/flighty, if you'll pardon the pun. The feathers don't take long to grow back either, so it's not really a huge issue to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Pet birds wings should not be clipped if you cannot provide a secure home for them then there is no point in getting them. Although they can still flutter about they cannot fly as good and lack of proper excercise can result in prolapses and other health issues.

The wings take a good few months to grow back fully. One arrived with a wing clipped he couldn't fly straight and it took a long time before he could get his balance right but now his flies perfectly and is very fit.

My personal opinion with pet parrot type birds, don't bother getting one if you cannot provide a secure home. Ok accidents happen but if you use a double door system or have a special bird room with a double door system there should never be an escape.

I have 4 birds, no wings clipped and in my 8 years of having birds here I have never had an escape or a near miss. I use a double door system on the aviary and close all windows and lock doors when they are out in the house.

I lost my Misty for a few days & still will not clip the wings!

The only birds I have with sort of clipped wings are a feather plucking macaw - she was a rescued bird & I was given a feather plucking African Grey called Annie - I hope in time these birds will both stop! Annie is off to the vet in the next 2 weeks to be blood checked - if she is healthy she will be housed next to Misty - I hope to get Mickie a male macaw soon & move her to an outside enclousure that is 36 feet long in the hope that she will relax & stop plucking & act like a bird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I read somewhere that parent reared greys aren't as prone to plucking as hand reared birds.
    On the wing clipping issue, I never said I agreed with it, I have kept many parrots and not one of them was clipped by me, but they were clipped when I got them on several occasions and none of them ever received injuries of any kind. So I guess it's down to individual experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I clip my CAG for various reasons - mostly that she won't fly into the walls, windows, or fly off. She seems very happy, never bites, is full of beans etc...

Personally I don't think it's cruel.

I made the mistake of clipping the wings when i first got mine. I was told to get them clipped. The vet clipped the inside wings but everytime he flapped the outside feathers had no support and started breaking.
    It took a few years to get them back to normal.

A good shop to try is Marco's Pet shop in Edenderry .

A good shop to try is Marco's Pet shop in Edenderry .
    Is he still in business. I thought he closed down years ago?

just been offered a 8 month old timneh african grey parrot or should that be (timneh grey parrot?)

owner tells me he is 8 months old good with kids,no biting at all.
    and he is the same room as a 2 year old talking timneh.

i have done a bit of googling and reading up on the timneh and the say there a great bird and can talk as good if not better than a congo.

like to hear the views of any timneh owners on here or anyone that has experience with these timnehs,cheers.

My first grey was a Timneh - they are fab birds just smaller than a congo & the other species which I can not for the life of me remember what it is.

My guy unfortunately escaped & we never found him :(

hi 007 sorry to hear about the one you lost:(
    whats the going price for a timneh here in ireland?.

My first grey was a Timneh - they are fab birds just smaller than a congo & the other species which I can not for the life of me remember what it is.

My guy unfortunately escaped & we never found him :(

Advertisement