Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Book Club

Options
  • 15-06-2008 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭corkgal1981

Would anyone be interested in forming a book club in Cork? Ideally the club would have to have 6/7 members to start with I think. Preferably it would take place in the city centre. Just thought Id put the idea out there :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

If you're looking for some ideas for the book club a few people on the Galway forum started one:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055064051

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭corkgal1981

Thamks for the tip! It was quite useful, exccept instead of meeting at peoples homes it would probably be best to meet in a cafe/bar. Would have to be somewhere quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Yeah they ended up meeting in quiet pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Sounds like a good idea. I might give it a go.

Ya, I think its a good idea too! I looked at whats on in all the cork libraries and there are book clubs but only for kids & teens and the grand parade does a book club but they meet at 2pm on weekdays which isnt great for people who work/have kids etc. Anyone else interested? If enough people show an interest I think it would be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

i think that would be fun.... i need to get back into reading... how would it work? i think mondays would be a good idea?

I suppose we would meet in a place where its quiet enough to discuss the books. The first meeting could be a get to know each other sort of thing and a chance to discuss what genres people would be interested in reading.

Monday night would work for me.

Not sure how frequent the meetings would be, perhaps every 2 weeks - we'd need time to read the books of course!!

fortnightly would be good for me. just trying to think of where we could hold it....
    would a cafe bar be better? for thos of us who gotta walk home? not sure how receptive tribes would be....
    i am pretty sure brookfield hotel would be happy to have the custom.... but its not very central.

Ya, Id be walking/getting bus too. Tribes is good but can be noisy sometimes. Hmm, suggestions anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Nice idea, stuck to get you guys some visibility.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Corcaigh abu

Hi

I'd be interested too! Tribes prob gets a bit loud and this time of year probably a lot of teenagers on summer hols hanging out mid week. Prob need somewhere - quietish where can hang out for about an 1.5/2 hrs. Maybe meads wine bar on Oliver Plunkett st although not sure of there opening times or maybe crane lane just for an initial chat and se what peoples interests availability is and take it from there?

A wine bar would be ideal!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

the wine bar opposite (ish) the kino is good. decent space.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

Ooh count me in too!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bill_lumbergh

i'm moving to Cork in a couple of weeks and would be very interested in this too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Corcaigh abu

How about meeting first Monday of month. That being Mon 7th July, I know its a bank hol the next month (Aug) so maybe change for that week but can continue from there??

I would definitely be up for that!

How about meeting at the wine bar opposite the Kino which was suggested before?

being currently unemployed i am lookin forward to this!

any preference for types of books? fact? fiction? biography? i am more of a fiction lover..... or will we just randomly pick books from some kind of best seller or prize list?

I'd give anything a chance really! Once I start reading a book I absolutely have to finish it even if Im hating it! I read mostly fiction these days though. Would people like to stick to the latest bestsellers or delve into the classics too?

• Advertisement

well i'd not mind a few classics at all! might have even read a few of them..... i warn u i have totally gone out of pleasure reading in the last four years bar a few thomas harris novels..... my repertoire is embarassing so i look forward to the chance to improve it!

Do you mean you just got out of the habit of reading for pleasure or did you have to read things you didnt want to, for college or something?

well i guess i got to be a bit more ahem "sociable" and my avid reading lapsed....

plus college does drain the brain somewhat.... four years of nursing makes u WISH u were illiterate.

I studied German & history for 5 years & now I really enjoy reading fiction, overdosed on books about war for years!

very good. i must away to beddy byes!
    later bookworms

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MoonMoose

Would be interested in this as well. Most bookclubs seem to take place during the day, Mon-Fri. Have taken part in online bookclubs and I usually end up being one of two people to actually read the book selected before the reading thread fizzles out! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

all_smilz wrote: »
    plus college does drain the brain somewhat....

it's kindof supposed to do the opposite. :)

books would have to be acceptable to everyone.
    So no Brief Histories of Time, or PS I love yous.

What about choosing from the Sunday Times best seller list?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Good idea. Or just randomly hit a post on the "What are you reading?" thread in the Literature forum.

I agree witH the two previous posts. The sunday times is a good idea. I don't read much 'chick lit' really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Somewhere like Reidys Vault is a pretty quiet place on Monday nights.

Advertisement