Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Book Club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

id love to be involved in this. so is it definite for the 7th of July? ill read anything, my reading has gone downhill somewhat after college so would like to get back into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

chuci wrote: »
    id love to be involved in this. so is it definite for the 7th of July? ill read anything, my reading has gone downhill somewhat after college so would like to get back into it.

:O just looked at your bebo and you know Gillian too >_<

Kold wrote: »
    :O just looked at your bebo and you know Gillian too >_<

Cork is just way too small

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

The 7th sounds good for me anyway!

I would read anything except chick lit and history!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Corcaigh abu

yep Mon July 7th is good for me to kick off. Well at least we can all meet - and decide on something to read for next meeting August so by Sept we should be well set up. By the way popped into quay coop for quick bite on Friday night hadn't been there in years but might be a nice place to meet as if people coming from work its cheapish affordable/fast healthy food, choice of tea/coffee/wine, snacks. It has 2 floors so should be space. Only thing is closes at 9. But maybe if people were interested could meet 7.30 - 9 for first book club. www.quaycoop.com
    Other options wine bar opposite kino good but not sure about music(!!), reidys could be nice and cosy in winter months! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Hi All,

I just came across this thread and am wondering where will ye meet on Mon 7th July?

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭corkgal1981

7th July is good for me too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭pinkmonkey

There is already a book club setup in Cork which has a lot of members....We/They meet the 3rd Thursday of every morning in the same place at the same time.....If anyone wants the details please let me know.

It has been established for a few years now and has a dedicated yahoo group. They actually believe in book crossing, for those who do not know what it is well here is how it works:

You all meet and chat etc....Take a book, read it, release it into the 'wild' ie put it anywhere you like, in a pub, on the street, on the train, in another country. Each book has an ID number which you can register on the site and watch it travel around the world. You can find out if someone picked up a book that you 'released' and so on....

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

Thanks for the suggestion pinkmonkey. I think a lot of us prob work 9-5 so it wouldnt really suit.

Is Monday the 7th still on for meeting up? Just need a time and a place?!

Hi everyone,
    As I started this I decided to be daring & name a place: REIDYS WINE VAULT - Monday July 7th @ 7pm.

Hope everyone that showed an interest can make it.

Thanks to the book club who left a comment but I was thinking if theyre already established and all and if theres still a good few of us interested it would be better to start a new group.

Could anyone who is definitely going PM me so we can get an idea of how many of us willl be there.

Hope to hear from everyone soon

• Advertisement

Reidys Wine Vault is opposite Jurys Hotel on the Western Rd :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭pinkmonkey

Apologies my post should have said 'The 3rd thursday of every month' and not the '3rd thursday of every morning'. They usually meet around 8pm. I have not been in a few months but it was good when I was there...

I moved to cork last year and do not know that many people so I am always up for meeting new people....anyone interested? A coffee and a chat at the weekend perhaps?

Oh and I will not be able to make it tonight. I am going to a poetry / open-mic evening. Hopefully I will see you all some other time. Enjoy yourselves though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

hey, i was hoping to get to the first meeting but i ended up being stuck up country until today.

how did the meeting go? and will there be another?

Hi everyone,
    The first meeting of the book club took place on Monday night and it went really well. The first book has been chosen: The Outcast by Sadie Jones. Its the current No1 bestseller. Click below for a short review:

http://www.bookreporter.com/reviews2/9780061374036.asp

As the first Monday of August is a bank holiday, the next meeting will be on August 11th - plenty of time to read the book!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Excellent stuff.

he internet was down at home ill read the book and come to the next one. ill pm someone my mobile no to keep me posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

I'd be interested in this as well. I wouldnt be able to attend every meeting though due to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 browneyedgirl

how many people are attendin d book club? is it still d 11th august, reidy;s wine bar??? also ironically ive just realised that ive started reading the recommended book, knew the title was familiar....

Yes, its still 11th August in Reidys Wine Vault. Thats were we went last time and its the perfect setting for a book club! Not sure about time yet, will probably have a vote soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 lillie25

just wondering is it open to everyone or do you guys all know each other... would love to join the book club

• Advertisement

Its open to everyone so feel free to come along to the next one!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭CommieBaz

As a matter of interest, how long is this book? I was thinking of coming along for the next meeting, but I haven't actually read the book yet. Would I be able to blast through it in a few days, or would I need a while to get through it?
    I don't wanna end up being the only one who doesn't have the full gist of the story, that's all...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

yeah ditto. I/ve been really busy and trying to finish another book and jobhunting so i'm not sure what to do............

Its 441 pages but its one of those books that you can fly through, theres lots of dialogue in it so it can be read in a few hous!

NEXT MEETING:

MONDAY 11TH AUGUST
    REIDYS WINE VAULT
    8PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 deebeebeegee

what are you all reading now? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 pokkets

Hey!
    Was hoping to get in on the next one if theres still room? Whats the book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Activism 101

great idea...wat sort of books wud dis book club read??

Hi everyone,
    The book for the next meting is No Time for Goodbye by Linwood Barclay.
    The provisional date of next meeting is Monday 8th of September, it will be confirmed soon.
    Anyone who wants to be involved is very welcome to come along :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Hi all,

I just saw this today, and would be really interested in joining. I won't be able to make it tonight, though.
    Could you post the next book you want to read here tomorrow, and I'll just drop by for the next meeting?

Advertisement