Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Book Club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 gem25x

Hi everyone,

Next meeting is Monday, 2nd February, 8pm at Reidys Bar, book is:
    MASKERADE
    by Terry Pratchett
    New members are very welcome :)

what kind of books does terry pratchett write? excuse my ignorance:o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

gem25x wrote: »
    what kind of books does terry pratchett write? excuse my ignorance:o

Humourous fantasy books. Mostly all set in his 'Discworld'. They're quite fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

Guys/Girls...I am sorry...I am not gonna attend the book club meeting tonight :(
    I've had sad news and I am trying to find a way to go back to Italy immediatly for a few days...don't really feel like going out.

Sorry about that, the book was funny and quite interesting, hope you will have a good time!
    Let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭corkgal1981

Hi everyone,

Next meeting is Monday 2nd March, 8pm, Reidys Bar and the book is:

The Suspicions of Mr Whicher
    by Kate Summerscale

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭rmkfda

Hello,

I'm moving to Cork on Monday, and would love to come along if I can get hold of the book by then.

I look forward to meeting you guys.

R

• Advertisement

rmkfda wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm moving to Cork on Monday, and would love to come along if I can get hold of the book by then.

I look forward to meeting you guys.

R

Hi,

Hope you can make it on Monday! If not I'll post details of next meeting here anyway. Im loving this months book! :)

I haven't been able to get and read the book in time. But now I am in Cork and will be prepared to come along next time.

:)

*rachel*

Next meeting: Monday 6th April, 8pm @ Reidys.
    HOLD TIGHT
    by Harlan Coben

Has anyone finished their copy of Hold Tight?! I would love to read it and join in but can't get hold of a copy (I have no money and the library doesn't have it).

I can swap you Darkly Dreaming Dexter (Jeff Lindsay) or Cocaine Nights (J.G. Ballard) until the Book Club meetup?!

PM me if you can help.

PS I never read in the bath/on the wc/mark my page with corners!

Rach

Next meeting 11th May, 8pm at Reidys on the Western Rd & the book will be:
    DEAR FATTY
    BY DAWN FRENCH

Also, heres link to our Facebook site in case anyone wants to sign up to it: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=18993329518&ref=ts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

I'm just about to start "My Sisters Keeper" by Jodi Picoult. I got it for Christmas, but I've had so many Vince Flynn books to catch up on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 GardenerGirl

Hey I was just wondering if you have room for a new member. I've been interesting in finding a good book club for a while now.

Hey I was just wondering if you have room for a new member. I've been interesting in finding a good book club for a while now.

You are very welcome to attend the next meeting. Hope to see you there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dozemode

I shall return to Cork soon after many years and would love to join if I may :)..........i think most people like to discuss their favourite books, and having just finished Journey to Nowhere by Eva Figes, if elected a member ,I would love to suggest it as a future topic..................( being slightly out of touch, I am assuming that the term Book Club is NOT some kind of Euphemism ) :eek:

Typical something has come up tomorrow night so I can't make it. But will make it for June so I look forward to the book choice. I am just finishing Dear Fatty. Somthing I normally wouldn't have picked up myself to read.

Typical something has come up tomorrow night so I can't make it. But will make it for June so I look forward to the book choice. I am just finishing Dear Fatty. Somthing I normally wouldn't have picked up myself to read.

Pity you can't make it but hopefully we'll see you next month :)

What did you think od Dear Fatty? :)

I didn't like the whole letter writing idea I think it made it a bit disjointed. But I never normally would have picked up that book so it was good to read something different.

Hope you had a good night last night. Looking forward to the next book choice.

I didn't like the whole letter writing idea I think it made it a bit disjointed. But I never normally would have picked up that book so it was good to read something different.

Hope you had a good night last night. Looking forward to the next book choice.

I didnt like the Madonna letters at all!! Overall, I liked it though :)

Next meeting is Monday, 8th June, 8pm, Reidys Wine Bar and the book is
    Secrets
    by Freya North

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 anniehall

I've just discovered this group and would love to join in- can I just drop by on June 8th?

• Advertisement

anniehall wrote: »
    I've just discovered this group and would love to join in- can I just drop by on June 8th?

Of course you can, you're very welcome to join us at next meeting, we'll have the book on the table so you know who we are! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 anniehall

Of course you can, you're very welcome to join us at next meeting, we'll have the book on the table so you know who we are! :)

great! I'll see you there :)

Next meeting is 6th July @ Reidys:
    The Return
    by Victoria Hislop

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rebelchick2

Would love to join ur book club I u dont mind???

Would love to join ur book club I u dont mind???

Course you can :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Marianne 20

Hi!
    I recently did a degree in English Literature and I would be very interested in this book club idea. May I join? I am looking for a way to meet some cultured and intelligent individuals in Cork and expand my social circle and I think this would be a very interesting as well as "educational" way to do so..Also, could you please tell me about the predominant age group who engage in this? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Just a heads up. Myself and a few others have started an online book club over in the literature forum. We pick two books a month, this month being Dead Souls by Gogol and Death and the Penguin by another ukranian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 willow days

Hi ! Id love to come along to the next meeting please. A book club sounds like the kick I need to curl up and read again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

turgon wrote: »
    Just a heads up. Myself and a few others have started an online book club over in the literature forum. We pick two books a month, this month being Dead Souls by Gogol and Death and the Penguin by another ukranian.

Nice... do you have a link to the thread? I have a copy of Dead Souls here that I've been meaning to read for the last few months...
    edit - found it (wasn't hard, a few threads open on Literature forum) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Hey Folks,

Jane is taking a break for a few months so I said I'd take care of the organising and posting for her.

1. The first Monday of August is the bank holiday weekend Monday. When this happened before we changed the meeting to the monday after as most people will be away/coming back from holidays - thus the next meeting changes to 8pm Mon 10th in Reidy's wine bar.

2. The book for the next meeting is "Tender is the night" by F. Scott Fitzgerald

See you all there

Shane

Advertisement