Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Book Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 posie

Great, sounds good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Vixter07

hi so what time we sayin the 25th? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Okay, the 25th of this month seems like a goer. I'd say meeting early before the regular pub heads get in might be a good idea. That way we hopefully won't be fighting for space or trying to shout over music. Is 8pm okay or too early?

I'll bring a few copies of the Top 100 Novels Ever so we have something to discuss. Any preference for The Guardian's version or the BBC's version?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭nimrodsson

Great, i'll come along

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Malice_ wrote: »
    Okay, the 25th of this month seems like a goer. I'd say meeting early before the regular pub heads get in might be a good idea. That way we hopefully won't be fighting for space or trying to shout over music. Is 8pm okay or too early?

I'll bring a few copies of the Top 100 Novels Ever so we have something to discuss. Any preference for The Guardian's version or the BBC's version?

8pm is perfect, Ive got a couple of books in mind that I think could be interesting so I'll bring along some stuff too.

• Advertisement

Thursdays are perfect but I have just remembered I have my Graduation the 26th in Galway so Ill catch everyone the 2nd night .:)

Apologies for not posting this sooner. Who is definitely coming to meet up this Thursday then? I will be there and I will have at least one other person with me (as long as they don't chicken out of meeting people from the Internet ;) ) and I guess nimrodsson, posie and TeletextPear as well? Any others?

As I mentioned previously, I'll bring a few printouts of the top 100 books to give us something to get started on anyway.

See you then

Yup, I'll be there!

I bet there will be a deluge of lurkers showing up tomorrow night :).

• Advertisement

thinkin of coming along so hope to see you guys there :D

So, do we all have to wear red carnations in our button-holes so we recognise each other?? :D

I'll PM you my mobile anyway just in case the shops are sold out of red carnations..

The last time I met a group of strangers off here for a tag rugby team in Galway one of the girls brought her pink laptop so it was easy to identify the table. I'll do my best to be there before 8pm and I'll do up a sign or something that I'll put on the table. I guess we'll try for a table near the fire as it'll no doubt be cold :).

• Registered Users Posts: 21 swirley

Hi!
    I'd like to come along too! Just spotted this thread now and would be really interested in joining. :D

swirley wrote: »
    Hi!
    I'd like to come along too! Just spotted this thread now and would be really interested in joining. :D

Excellent, the more the merrier :D

swirley wrote: »
    Hi!
    Good stuff, you're more than welcome.

Just got some stuff printed off in work. See you all later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 posie

Hi- so sorry I couldn't make it to this one. Hope ye are having good time. Am not around next Thursday either so hoping it stays going until following one.

Posie

Apologies for the delay in getting this post together. First of all thanks to everyone for turning up and for being a very chatty bunch. Who says the Internet just consists of anti-social blokes? :p

So after a debate on what book to choose we picked Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf. I've had a quick look online. There are copies of the book available pretty cheaply on Amazon and Abe Books. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to get copies? I'd have no problem ordering a few copies and distributing them at the next meeting. That'll save a few quid on shipping charges. We would probably want to decide fairly soon if we're going down the mail order route given the time of year.

Thanks again to everyone for coming and for anyone else interested in coming along, feel free to post on here.

• Advertisement

Hi all,
    I've picked up a copy on Amazon for very cheap - I was ordering other stuff so got free delivery, but it can be around €6 or so for delivery if that's the only thing you're ordering, so play.com could also be worth a look - free delivery!

Hi all,
    I've picked up a copy on Amazon for very cheap - I was ordering other stuff so got free delivery, but it can be around €6 or so for delivery if that's the only thing you're ordering, so play.com could also be worth a look - free delivery!
    That's interesting about Play.com, I had always assumed they just did computer and console games. I guess I was wrong :).

I went with AbeBooks in the end. I picked up a couple of other books at the same time so the shipping charges didn't really matter. Also considering I ended up paying less than €3.80 per book I think I did okay. Now I just have to hope the books actually arrive at some stage in the near future weather permitting!

hi i bought a copy in good old easons for 2.50. what time are we meeting at ? i missed last week coz I had my graduation.

:)

Vixter07 wrote: »
    hi i bought a copy in good old easons for 2.50. what time are we meeting at ? i missed last week coz I had my graduation.

I don't think we had planned to meet up this week and it might be a bit too short notice but out of interest is anyone else interested in meeting up this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭LeNNoX

Hi,

I saw this mentioned on TV last night and thought you might be interested.

http://www.worldbooknight.org/

"We’re looking for 20,000 people across the UK and Ireland who are willing to give away 48 books on Saturday, 5 March 2011. Each of the givers will be sent a parcel of books, to be collected from a local library or bookstore in the week leading up to World Book Night, and will have to be able to distribute all 48 that weekend"

They have already selected 25 books to choose from.

I'm going to apply myself once I decide on a book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Gillie7

Would love to come along to the next meeting - when's it all happening?

Vixter07 wrote: »

Gillie7 wrote: »
    Would love to come along to the next meeting - when's it all happening?

We never really decided a date for the next meeting - Christmas kinda gets in the way of having one on the 25th of this month! Im sure most people will be away/tied up with family stuff over Christmas week, so for a possible next meeting we could have Dec 16th (which might be a bit soon for people to have had Mrs Dalloway read by, my copy hasnt even arrived yet!) or we could just leave it until Jan 6th (which might give everyone more time to read over Christmas). Any preferences either way?
    LeNNoX wrote: »
    Hi,

I saw this mentioned on TV last night and thought you might be interested.

http://www.worldbooknight.org/

Thanks for the link Lennox, looks interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Gillie7

16 Dec might be a bit too soon all right so my vote is for 6 January!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ellibela

I'm new to this book club and would like to attend the next meeting, but can't finish the book by 16th so I'd prefer the 6th too :)

• Advertisement

We never really decided a date for the next meeting - Christmas kinda gets in the way of having one on the 25th of this month! Im sure most people will be away/tied up with family stuff over Christmas week, so for a possible next meeting we could have Dec 16th (which might be a bit soon for people to have had Mrs Dalloway read by, my copy hasnt even arrived yet!) or we could just leave it until Jan 6th (which might give everyone more time to read over Christmas). Any preferences either way?
    My copy of Mrs Dalloway hasn't arrived yet either. I'm hoping it arrives soon but I'm glad I'm not the only one who hasn't been able to start it yet :).

Advertisement