Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Book Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭nimrodsson

Same with me guys - haven't got round to reading it yet. December was always going to be a tricky month - do def think Jan is the way to go, well, its the only way to go at this stage i guess.

To everybody else - feel free to come along once a date is set, last month was the first meeting since the group was resurrected, so its all still in its infancy...

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭conan doyle

Hi all you fellow book worms. I've just spotted your thread. I'm an avid book reader myself and just wanted to let you know that Waterstones are doing an event sometime in March, I think it's world book day or night- something like that. Any way the deal is if you register with them you can get 50 copies of your favourite books to give away to your friends, family or co-workers. I must have deleted the email but it's certainly worth looking in to for a large group.

To the best of my knowledge you can register on line or in the shop.

Good luck with the book club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 gingafriend

Hi everyone,

I just saw this post about the book club. I love reading and would really like to take part- do you have room for a newbie?

If you can let me know any details, that'd be fantastic!

Looking forward to hearing from ye

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Hey Ginga,
    Welcome aboard! Always room for more people :) The book we're reading at the minute is Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf. The next meeting is looking like being on Jan 6th, but that's just a provisional date for now! We had our first meeting last month in the Spalpin Fanach pub in the city centre, but we havent set a location for the next meeting yet!

Hi, thanks- I picked up a copy of the book today, looking forward to reading it over Xmas :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭rocky2010

Hi all, HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Hows the book club going? Has it be set up?

I would be interested let me know relevent details if it has.

Rocky

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Hi folks,

I've just realised that I never posted on this thread regarding the fact that I'm not actually in Cork any more. As I mentioned at the meeting in November, my work contract was only running until the end of December and hasn't been renewed so I am back in Galway for now.

If I do end up back in Cork again I will definitely get back into the book club but for now obviously I won't be attending any meetings. Hopefully the rest of you will be able to keep things going!

rocky2010 wrote: »
    Hi all, HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Hows the book club going? Has it be set up?

I would be interested let me know relevent details if it has.

Rocky

Hey Rocky, we had our first meeting in November, the book for the next one is Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf. No definate details on the next meeting yet!
    Malice_ wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I've just realised that I never posted on this thread regarding the fact that I'm not actually in Cork any more. As I mentioned at the meeting in November, my work contract was only running until the end of December and hasn't been renewed so I am back in Galway for now.

If I do end up back in Cork again I will definitely get back into the book club but for now obviously I won't be attending any meetings. Hopefully the rest of you will be able to keep things going!

Best of luck up in Galway! Hopefully we'll see ya back at some stage!

Ok, for everyone who's coming to the next meeting, is the proposed date of the 6th still ok? If it's a bit too soon for everyone we can leave it til the 13th, I'm good with either anyway! And the Spalpin for the venue again perhaps? Lemme know what ye think!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 kellyof

Hey guys!
    I'm looking to join a book club ... is there room for me in yours?
    If you're meeting on the 6th, then of course I won't have the book read but I'd love to come along to meet the group anyway?

Kelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

kellyof wrote: »
    Hey guys!
    If you're meeting on the 6th, then of course I won't have the book read but I'd love to come along to meet the group anyway?

Kelly.

I'm the same, just got the book the other day and didn't get a chance to read it over the weekend. Might come along to the meeting anyway if that's alright though?

• Advertisement

I'm still only half way through- christmas got in the way of reading, oops. I'll still go along if the meeting is on thursday though. I'd second the 13th if anyone wants to postpone to a later date too.

kellyof wrote: »
    Hey guys!

Kelly.
    tailgunner wrote: »
    I'm the same, just got the book the other day and didn't get a chance to read it over the weekend. Might come along to the meeting anyway if that's alright though?

Please do come along guys, the more the merrier! :D
    I'm still only half way through- christmas got in the way of reading, oops. I'll still go along if the meeting is on thursday though. I'd second the 13th if anyone wants to postpone to a later date too.

I agree Ginga, the 6th seems a bit too soon now to arrange. So Jan 13th it is, 8pm at the Spalpin Fanach pub in town. Who's in?! :)

Hi All,

I can be there on the 13th. Looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 kellyof

Brilliant! I was hoping ye'd reschedule!
    I ordered the book off of Eason's website a few days ago (for a fiver! Bargain!) and it arrived today in the post - so I'll have it read by the 13th :)
    See you guys then!

thanks,
    Kelly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 k.stewart

Hi! :)

I've been meaning to find a book club for a while now.. do you take new members?

What kind of books do you read? Bestseller's Lists? Classics?

Thanks! :)

k.stewart wrote: »
    Hi! :)

I've been meaning to find a book club for a while now.. do you take new members?

What kind of books do you read? Bestseller's Lists? Classics?

Thanks! :)

Hi K,
    We're a fairly new club so we've only started our first book, it's Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf. We're having our second meeting on Thurs Jan 13th at the Spailpin Fanach pub so feel free to come along and meet everyone, even if you dont get a chance to read the book!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 katie24

Hi there - another wannabe member here - new yrs resolutions - read more, and a book club sounds like the best way to do that!
    Have you space for one more?

I also won't have had time to read the book but would love to come along and meet everyone...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CME

Hey,
    Is the meeting still going ahead this Thursday? What time is everyone usually there at?
    I would love to come along and meet everyone and start reading some books I wouldnt normally go for.
    Havent got this months book yet but I will be working on it....

katie24 wrote: »
    Hi there - another wannabe member here - new yrs resolutions - read more, and a book club sounds like the best way to do that!
    Have you space for one more?

I also won't have had time to read the book but would love to come along and meet everyone...

Absolutely, the more the merrier! :)
    CME wrote: »
    Hey,
    Is the meeting still going ahead this Thursday? What time is everyone usually there at?
    I would love to come along and meet everyone and start reading some books I wouldnt normally go for.
    Havent got this months book yet but I will be working on it....

It'll be around 8pm CME, come along! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 katie24

Thanks TeletextPear - I'll be there on Thursday - I'll keep an eye out for a gang waving books in the air!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 k.stewart

Hi K,
    We're a fairly new club so we've only started our first book, it's Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf. We're having our second meeting on Thurs Jan 13th at the Spailpin Fanach pub so feel free to come along and meet everyone, even if you dont get a chance to read the book!

I doubt I'll have time to read it, but I'll come along if I can. It's at 8pm?

Thank you :)
    Katie.

See you all Thursday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 vicf

hi there, I've been looking for a book club for a while too. Do your meetings always run on Thursdays? What's the general age range of the group? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10 TruffleShuffle

Totally jumping on the bandwagon here but is there room for one more? :)
    Never taken part in a bookclub before but I'd love to give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ciara11

Hello all,

glad to see this thread. Have been looking for a book club for a while and finally sat down to have a look. Unfortunately I have just realised its tomorrow ye are all meeting and I cant go , but hopefully ye will have room for one more next month -- i look forward to hearing how this month went. Seems like there are alot of interested bodies which can only be a good thing!

Ciara

happy n y to all.

Everyone is welcome. This is the only second meeting, so the more the merrier - just come along - we'll be in past the bar to the left. They'll be books on the table to give you a clue! Also, if anyone wants to bring along suggestions for new books from whateve source, then please do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 TruffleShuffle

Disappointed I can't make it! :( And I read the book and all! Hope it goes well and I'd def be interested in going to the next one.

Thanks to everyone who came along on Thursday. The book for the coming month is The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. I'll put up the date for the next meeting as soon as it's decided

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MK85

Hi there,
    my friends and I were thinking about starting up a book club but there are not very many of us, maybe we could join up with you guys if you are still open to more members? Would love to come along to the next meeting!

• Advertisement

MK85 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    my friends and I were thinking about starting up a book club but there are not very many of us, maybe we could join up with you guys if you are still open to more members? Would love to come along to the next meeting!

Absolutely, come along to the next one sure!

The book for the next meeting is The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. Meeting's on Feb 10th at 8 in Spalpin Fanach.

And to anyone else who's reading and is interested, feel free to come along to the next meeting. The more the merrier!

Advertisement