Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bypass Opening Date.

• 15-06-2008 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭

Slightly off the appropriate thread perhaps but I think it applies pretty well to the town. What is the expected opening date for the new bypass (on the Slieverue side)? Seems to be advancing well and I assume the Slieverue section will open prior to the new bridge section. I drive to Wexford every day and the traffic is a disaster every evening getting over the bridge, especially the right hand lane. Its common to see only one car get through the lights because they cant turn right and only get across in the space between light changes. Drives me mad :mad:.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm not aware they are opening any sections early and its city ;)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

mike65 wrote: »
    I'm not aware they are opening any sections early and its city ;)

Mike.
    Oops. Sorry Mike :o.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Isnt it supposed to be in 2012? I doubt they will open any part of it early... I dont think there are any intentions of.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The Waterford City bypass is due to open to traffic in 2010. Construction on the various sections are progressing well and it is very possible that a section or sections may open early, before the Suir bridge, but it is too early at this stage to speculate on this.

Contact the National Roads Authority for more information:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The Waterford City bypass is due to open to traffic in 2010.

Correct. According to a big roadside advert in Kilmeaden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Correct. According to a big roadside advert in Kilmeaden.
    Those signs cost around €10,000, what a waste of money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Those signs cost around €10,000, what a waste of money
    not really because everyone see,s them and its great way to advertise a product or service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I heard a little rumour that the roundabout section at Slieverue/Port Road will be open sooner rather than later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

not really because everyone see,s them and its great way to advertise a product or service

Agreed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭JMcL

But it's taxpayers money, and the road'll be open when it's open, so what's the point? If anybody's curious enough as to when it'll be done, the info is all available on the NRA website.

Since the NRA woke up after much prodding a few years ago and were made realise that the contractors were making out like bandits as there were no late clauses (or at least none that were being enforced to any degree), schemes have started to tend to come in ahead of schedule and it all seems much smoother now. Given this, I'd there's a good chance the bypass will be open sooner than the end of 2010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

JMcL wrote: »
    But it's taxpayers money, and the road'll be open when it's open, so what's the point? If anybody's curious enough as to when it'll be done, the info is all available on the NRA website.

Since the NRA woke up after much prodding a few years ago and were made realise that the contractors were making out like bandits as there were no late clauses (or at least none that were being enforced to any degree), schemes have started to tend to come in ahead of schedule and it all seems much smoother now. Given this, I'd there's a good chance the bypass will be open sooner than the end of 2010

This is a PPP project and the 30 Year franchise clock started ticking when the contract was signed in April 2006 . It is is in the contractors (CRG JV) interest to have it finished before the deadline.

As a matter of fact, CRG stated that they hoped the build would take 36 months and not the 44 months as indicated by the NRA.

If this is the case expect that the bypass will be open sometime between April 2009 & July 2009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

trishw78 wrote: »
    I heard a little rumour that the roundabout section at Slieverue/Port Road will be open sooner rather than later.
    Thats what I thought as well. They seem to be putting quite a bit of effort into that area. Maybe they will finish that section first but not open it up until the rest is complete though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

JMcL wrote: »

the project is steaming ahead and anyway not everyone has access or the time to check out the nra website just to see when the by pass will be finished!!!! hence the billboards they also have the same billboards up around limerick for the limerick tunnel project which is also due for completion the same time as the waterford by pass!.
    the waterford by pass will more than likely be finished ahead of time i,d say anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Bards wrote: »
    This is a PPP project and the 30 Year franchise clock started ticking when the contract was signed in April 2006 . It is is in the contractors (CRG JV) interest to have it finished before the deadline.

I suppose this means its gonna be a toll road , but we're lucky to have so can't complain too much

rasper wrote: »
    I suppose this means its gonna be a toll road , but we're lucky to have so can't complain too much

Yes:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The M9 will not be tolled however, unlike the other (longer) interurbans so that should compensate somewhat

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Wilde_37

And they certainly get their money's worth ! Have you noticed that they leave those signs up for YEARS after the projects are finished. I was driving to cork the other day and there is still one up for the Youghal bypass - and how long is that open!!!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sure the only one the Kilmacthomas bypass/realignment is still I think.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

thanks for posting that. very interesting. Living out in Slieverue, work seems to be flying along....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

Wilde_37 wrote: »
    And they certainly get their money's worth ! Have you noticed that they leave those signs up for YEARS after the projects are finished. I was driving to cork the other day and there is still one up for the Youghal bypass - and how long is that open!!!:o

I know the one for the M9/M7 is up and that road is open years! Surely there is a time limit on them?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I know the story if the EU Funded they need to wait for someone to come over and give it the approval from EU before the signs can be taken down. I think the time frame is 12 years?

Sully wrote: »
    I know the story if the EU Funded they need to wait for someone to come over and give it the approval from EU before the signs can be taken down. I think the time frame is 12 years?
    They advertise a service? What service - a road? Surely driving along that road is good enough advertising for a service? And would Gay Byrne and those other chaps who get paid to go on the news every few days and tell us people die in road crashes not argue that trying to read who the county engineer and road contractor is while driving along is dangerous driving?

Do we really need to know who funded a road though? Surely the money that is spent on them could go into a pool to just improve other roads? Or even spend on anything useful

The cost of flying some cnut over from Europe to look at a road with a sign on it probably adds a few more thousand to the cost, no doubt they don't book their flights over in the Ryanair sale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

They advertise a service? What service - a road? Surely driving along that road is good enough advertising for a service? And would Gay Byrne and those other chaps who get paid to go on the news every few days and tell us people die in road crashes not argue that trying to read who the county engineer and road contractor is while driving along is dangerous driving?

Do we really need to know who funded a road though? Surely the money that is spent on them could go into a pool to just improve other roads? Or even spend on anything useful

The cost of flying some cnut over from Europe to look at a road with a sign on it probably adds a few more thousand to the cost, no doubt they don't book their flights over in the Ryanair sale

Most signs are now Irish Government NDP signs, they are put up when construction starts and are the responsibility of who the road/project will ultimately belong to belongs to(like the NRA or Co.Co.), some will take them down some will leave them. I really think you are clutching at straws by suggesting they put the money spent on these signs into other road projects, An E200m road project might spend 40k on these shiny metal behomeths. Come down my way where a R road was upgraded in the mid 1990s to see a shiny blue sign declaring 80% of the project came through EU funding, it still looks new(the sign & the road).

But 40,000 is an awful lot of money, even if it is only a small percentage of the overall budget for the road, there is no excuse for just squandering it on a few signs which in my opinion are utterly useless

Whatever about if we lived in a perfect country, we dont, and 40,000 X number of roads built in Ireland with these signs would leave a sum which could be used for something useful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

But 40,000 is an awful lot of money, even if it is only a small percentage of the overall budget for the road, there is no excuse for just squandering it on a few signs which in my opinion are utterly useless

Whatever about if we lived in a perfect country, we dont, and 40,000 X number of roads built in Ireland with these signs would leave a sum which could be used for something useful

The NRA has overspent by up to E10 billion in the past decade or so, 40k just doesnt seem as important in that context does it?

But its that point im trying to get across.

Even if the money they have wasted on these signs is say 10 million, the fact that they have overspent by 10 billion (im not surprised) is no excuse. It might cost 40,000 for one sign, but how many of them are there around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Sorry guys where are you getting 40K out of for those signs 'cause if there's a construction co. paying more than 10K for those signs I can assure you they are really getting ripped off. I know the price 'cause in the past 4 years I've bought 4 sets of them.

EDIT: They're called Scheme Signs

I didnt come up with the 40,000, but 10,000 is still a complete rip off

• Advertisement

Can we stick to the Topic please.. if somone wants to start a thread about signage then please feel free.

Meanwhile Back on Topic:

I reckon it will be Late Summer / Early Autumn 2009

Advertisement