Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy Cold Water Pipe

Options
  • 15-06-2008 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Hi all i'm wondering if someone could help me here ?

It's a minor problem in that when i say flush a toilet and the water tank in the attic starts to fill up again it's a bit noisy, nothing excessive but it'd be nice if it was a bit less vocal when it's doing the job ! I've heard there's some sort of pipe or maybe some sort of cover u can get for the pipe that will make it a bit less noisy which would be great.

Does anyone know what this is or how it works ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭muggyog

There is a light plastic (as in plastic bag) sleeve used on toilet cisterns which goes into the water allowing water in but collapses when water goes the other way (prevents syphoning).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

muggyog wrote: »
    There is a light plastic (as in plastic bag) sleeve used on toilet cisterns which goes into the water allowing water in but collapses when water goes the other way (prevents syphoning).

Sorry don't think i explained myself properly. I mean the pipe that fills up the water tank in the attic is the one i was to quieten down. Or is it possible to make the whole filling the water tank in the attic less noisy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭muggyog

I dident make it clear that this system could be used in the coldwater cistern also. You could just replace the ballcock unit with a better one. Depends where the noise is coming from. Is it the ballcock unit itself or is it the water going into the tank?

Ah right getcha now. The noise seems to be coming both from the pipe feeding the water into the tank and the noise of the tank itself filling up. The water drips down into the tank until it reaches the required level if u know what i mean ?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

is there a lid on the tank?
    you could also insulate the tank with aeroboard would quiten the noise a bit.

• Advertisement

is there a lid on the tank?
    you could also insulate the tank with aeroboard would quiten the noise a bit.

Yeah there is actually an aeroboard cover on it, so guess that's that idea gone !
    It's only sitting on it though.

put areoboard around the tank and change the ballcock every little helps.

put areoboard around the tank and change the ballcock every little helps.

Ok might try that then, will definately look into getting a new ballcock to see if that helps first.

Thanks for your help.

no bother hope it helps.

Advertisement