Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport flight paths.

• 15-06-2008 4:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭

I live on the southside of Dublin and my bedroom faces south. Looking left out of my bedroom window, which is looking east of course, I can often see planes heading towards Dublin airport. Some will also fly past westwards across the house, heading out to land on the runway they approach from the west. I've seen it before, but particularly over the last few nights the planes to the east have been flying in on a much closer path to me than normal. Normally when they are heading northerly, I can see but not hear them, but I can certainly hear them when they are on the closer path.

From my bedroom I obviously can't see to the north of the house, but there also seems to have been some circling the airport as I have seen a few appearing into my field of view, flying southward much further out over Dublin Bay, and then circling back and heading in towards the airport again on that closer flight path again. A few minutes later then I'd see another, which I presume to be have one of the same ones that passed earlier, coming southward and then back around again. At times I've seen as many as four in the air at once. I can remember seeing this kind of thing happening years ago too, but does anyone know if anything unusual has been happening of late? I know there was the radar problem, but that's a couple of weeks ago at this stage. One of those nights was cloudy, but another was almost completely clear. So on the closer flight path and the apparent circling, does anyone know anything?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The wind has been coming from the east quite a lot lately. Usually it prevails from the south-west. Also for the last month or two, there's maintenance being done on the main east-west runway in the evenings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Thursday night we came across from Wales to Bray, turned right up the coast and cut accross Dublin Port. Never landed that way before, but there appeared to be something going on on the main runway.

Flights are still buggered up because of the radar problems as well so more are landing at night due to the backlog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Wind direction determines what runway they use at the airport either the East/West (10/28) runway or North/South (16/34) But there is work being carried out on 10/28 at the moment but that is only happening at night between 11pm and 5am.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 qnhhpa

Dublin radar problem is solved and operations are normal.

Active runway was chaged from westerly to easterly and back to westerly in the space of a couple of hours on Sunday afternoon due to variations in the wind.

Depending on where your house is, you may be seeing aircraft in the TULSO hold, roughly between 10 and 20 miles off the coast from Bray, though aircraft there are usually at 5000 feet or above, therefore hard to see with the naked eye.

Even though it may appear you see the same aircraft again, chances are they are different aircraft from the same airline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

qnhhpa wrote: »
    Dublin radar problem is solved and operations are normal.

Active runway was chaged from westerly to easterly and back to westerly in the space of a couple of hours on Sunday afternoon due to variations in the wind.

Depending on where your house is, you may be seeing aircraft in the TULSO hold, roughly between 10 and 20 miles off the coast from Bray, though aircraft there are usually at 5000 feet or above, therefore hard to see with the naked eye.

Even though it may appear you see the same aircraft again, chances are they are different aircraft from the same airline.

so the delays are over? good news, twice in the last 10 days I've had to fork out €45 on a taxi because rather than a bus because of delays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

That's been happening a lot lately. As a result I managed to take off downwind on one occasion because it changed as I was getting ready. Couldn't understand why I was using up so much runway and didn't seem to climbing quite as quickly:eek:

On top of that, there has been a lot of CB activity around of late. When one of those babies hove into view, the wind starts all kinds of antics. Plus of course airline pilots begin to ask for vectors away from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

The instrument approach chart (this one is for rwy 10) may be of interest:

http://www.iaa.ie/safe_reg/iaip/Published%20Files/AIP%20Files/AD/Chart%20Files/EIDW/EI_AD_2_EIDW_24-21_en.pdf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Depending on where your house is, you may be seeing aircraft in the TULSO hold, roughly between 10 and 20 miles off the coast from Bray .

Where is the DINIL and ROCKNA hold?

Also, when atc says 'direct rolex'...where is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

Its is easterly, on what is called the L975, over the Irish sea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

cp251 wrote: »

On top of that, there has been a lot of CB activity around of late.

CB Activity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Culonimbus Cloud. Big grey yokes......flying into them is not fun

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭wittymoniker

Where is the DINIL and ROCKNA hold?

DINIL is over The Naul, hence the name, north of the airport.

Likewise, ROKNA is by Rockabill lighthouse the to north east.

DINIL hold for 10 and ROKNA for 28.

ROLEX is a waypoint over the Irish sea at the FIR boundry between Irish and UK airspace, cleared direct there to get rid of you.

DINIL is over The Naul, hence the name, north of the airport.

Likewise, ROKNA is by Rockabill lighthouse the to north east.

DINIL hold for 10 and ROKNA for 28.

ROLEX is a waypoint over the Irish sea at the FIR boundry between Irish and UK airspace, cleared direct there to get rid of you.

DINIL is bit further north and west than The Naul and ROKNA is a lot further north and east than Rockabill.

ROLEX is almost off the coast of Liverpool. Its a point inside Manchesters airspace that Dublin clears eastbound aircraft to. LIFFY is the point at the FIR boundary.

Being pedantic...

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭wittymoniker

DINIL is bit further north and west than The Naul and ROKNA is a lot further north and east than Rockabill.

ROLEX is almost off the coast of Liverpool. Its a point inside Manchesters airspace that Dublin clears eastbound aircraft to. LIFFY is the point at the FIR boundary.

Being pedantic...

fair enough, it's been a while since i've flown the B1, or whatever they call it these days!

it's been a while since i've flown the B1, or whatever they call it these days!

Yeah, used to be the 'Blue 1' I think a long time ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Aaah yes Blue 1 Red 3 Amber 1.. God be with the days.

Advertisement