Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

physics!

Options
  • 15-06-2008 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

hey im just wondering for the experiments is there any way of knowing which thing goes on the x-axis and y-axis or do you just have to learn all the graphs off???:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭The LeavyC

cartman444 wrote: »
    hey im just wondering for the experiments is there any way of knowing which thing goes on the x-axis and y-axis or do you just have to learn all the graphs off???:)

well it doesn't actually matter unless you're asked to find the slope. in which case, if you know the formula you can tell which goes on y and which goes on the x. (whichever is on top in the formula is going to be on the Y axis, and whichever is on the bottom is the X axis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭cartman444

The LeavyC wrote: »
    well it doesn't actually matter unless you're asked to find the slope. in which case, if you know the formula you can tell which goes on y and which goes on the x. (whichever is on top in the formula is going to be on the Y axis, and whichever is on the bottom is the X axis.

cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭shanedownfall

My chem teacher give a good explanation of this. Put what ever you are controlling on the x-axis. ie. If you're taking a reading of something every 5 minutes you are controlling the time... Just in case the other way doesn't work ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭salman85

My chem teacher give a good explanation of this. Put what ever you are controlling on the x-axis. ie. If you're taking a reading of something every 5 minutes you are controlling the time... Just in case the other way doesn't work ;)

+ 0.5

what ever you control goes on X what ever changes as a result goes on Y

because f(x)(which is y) is a function of X so if X changes y changes as a result

2x -4 = 0

if x is 2 f(x) = 0
    if x is 3 then f(x) = 2

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ian.f

Dependent on the y axis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Would you lose marks though if you got them mixed up and it didn't specify what axis to put it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

only if the axes are important. For a directly proportional graph no, you wouldn't lose marks because its the same shape. But for the I/V graphs you might. But for the I/V graphs current is always on the Y.

Advertisement