Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you do?

Options
  • 15-06-2008 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭

Probably a stupid question but here goes.

You've just started surfin-Yourself and your partner drive west and arrive to go surfing-Get changed, get wsuits on and boards off the roof-All stuff left in car..... Question is...........

What the hell do ya do with your keys now that you've locked up your car???

Ended up leavin em under a rock nearby, dodgy as hell, but what else should I have done??

What is the obvious solution I'm def missin??!!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

most wetsuits i have come across have a wee pocket usually in the ankles for a key, have a look yours might have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

The best thing to do is to get a non-electronic copy of your key cut (it will only open the door generally) and take that out with you. Either your leash or wetsuit shuld have a key pocket on them. Hide you starter key somewhere inside the car/van.

Very dodgy trying to hide them nearby, you might come out of the water to find everything gone !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭tippbhoy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

cheers guys

Do you all have non electronic copies of your car keys??

Jeeees, really feel like a bit of a novice now!!

Do other people put their carkey in that little pocket in their wetsuits?

Is it secure? What happens if it gets wet? Is that ok?

youngblood wrote: »
    cheers guys

Thats why you need a copy that doesnt have any electronics on it so it doesnt matter if it gets wet. A lot of key cutting places can run those off pretty handy (Most makes except VW IIRC they have a different syle key) or if your having problems there go to your main dealer and they'll sort you out (bit more expensive though.

I havent had any problems with the key moving under the wetsuit, my key pocket is in an awkward place on my suit so I just wear boardies under it and put the key in a button close pocket on them.

As tippbhoy points out those keypods do look the business alright. I havent used one myself though so I cant comment.

Actually just bought myself one from that site - worked out at about E28 including delivery. Not a bad price at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

youngblood wrote: »
    cheers guys

Best €6 I ever spent was getting the non-electronic key. As well as surfing, I also use it when running, mtb'ing etc, basically any outdoor sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I bought a waterproof wallet, it does the trick although positioning it inside my wetsuit so it isn't somewhere uncomfortable is occasionally a pain in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Think i'm going to buy one of those, i'd like to check with the insurance company whether or not i'd still be covered if my car was stolen though (i know this is unlikely), but most car insurances will be void if the key was left unattended in or in the vicinity of the car.

Another idea for anyone who doesnt have a key pocket is using the keyring to attach the key on to the zip, i dont think this would come loose

Think i'm going to buy one of those, i'd like to check with the insurance company whether or not i'd still be covered if my car was stolen though (i know this is unlikely), but most car insurances will be void if the key was left unattended in or in the vicinity of the car.

There's no way they'd cover a theft if a key was left in the car or if was taken from under a rock or whatever by the thief. My car was stolen last year and the insurers made me produce the key before they would pay out my claim.

Would it make any difference if you "lost" the key I wonder. Just out of curiosity like ...

• Advertisement

c - 13 wrote: »
    Would it make any difference if you "lost" the key I wonder. Just out of curiosity like ...

I wouldn't like to find out :)

Bottom line is, keep the key on your person, or in one of those key-safe yokies. Hiding it under a rock or in a wheel arch is asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

Best €6 I ever spent was getting the non-electronic key.
    I got mine made today, it was at lunch and i was in a rush, and I knew I was being fleeced at the time but I paid it anyway... €14.95 :o

TheTubes wrote: »
    I got mine made today, it was at lunch and i was in a rush, and I knew I was being fleeced at the time but I paid it anyway... €14.95 :o

Yeah but which would you prefer, €15 out of pocket or your car robbed when you come out of the water ? I know which i'd pick :D

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭dutchgoldtony

If your suit doesn't have a key pocket, some of the bulldog leashes have a key pocket on the strap - not ideal but pretty handy all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

cornbb wrote: »
    There's no way they'd cover a theft if a key was left in the car or if was taken from under a rock or whatever by the thief. My car was stolen last year and the insurers made me produce the key before they would pay out my claim.

just tell them you only got one key when you bought the car. the previous owner lost the second key!

Advertisement