Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearms Certs.

Options
  • 15-06-2008 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

How many is too many? 1 2 3 4 5 _ _ _ _
    Just wondering how many you have ?
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Sika_Stalker

you can never have too many:D just as long as you have a use for it
    personaly i only have 3 and just about to get a forth and maybe a fifth

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Three myself, 2 shotties and a .22 hornet. Might move on to four at some stage when I get deer permissions sorted, might just as well trade the Anschutz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭pestshooter7

4+1 dual cert

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

3. When I get a rifle it'll be 4 and depending on whether I keep that for bunnies or trade up for a foxing rifle it might become 5.

Thats not including my intent to shoot BP if it ever becomes viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jimmyzx

3. a shottie and two rifles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

boc121 wrote: »
    How many is too many?
    In maths, that'd be called a badly formed question, meaning it doesn't really make any sense. A firearm is a tool - you have however many you need to accomplish the task at hand. "Too many" doesn't really come into it. For instance, I have three because I compete in three seperate disciplines. If I was to add a fourth, I'd need a fourth firearm, and so on. But I know many people who compete at a higher level than me and they'd have "backup" firearms - same stock, same configuration, etc, etc, in case they suffer, oh I don't know, a stock break for example. If you're going to a world cup and you've spent somewhere in the region of fifty grand to get there in kit and training, then an extra two to handle the case where a baggage handler snaps your stock by throwing about your rifle case, well, it's cheap insurance. So if you can have two firearms per discipline, would three be too many? Well, no, because again at high level, you can find people using three firearms per discipline (50m 3P shooting for example, might see up to three rifles being used, each one set for one of the three positions). Factor in backups and you could see one person needing an entire armory (and in many cases, that's the case - the US AMU teams go to major competitions with an armory and people from their own unit of armorers...).

Basicly, you have as many as you need (and that's not just common sense, it's the law as well). "Too many" isn't a concept that stands up to too much scrutiny outside of the tabloids I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Well written sparks, i understand what you're saying, what i was wondering was how many is too many for the local fao. I have 4 at the minute 3 rifles and 1 shotgun im trading a .22 for an o/u but i was thinking of just getting the shotgun and trading the .22 for something like a .204 or a .22-250. Just wondering how many others have, 5 seems to be pushing it. Mine are all for hunting by the way. Dont want him thinking im going gun mad.
    Cheers.

Well, obviously every FO will have different opinions, but the three important things to remember are:
    • The Superintendent is responsible for making the decision, not the FO;
    • The Superintendent must make the decision in accordance with the law, and the law makes no provision for a maximum number;
    • The National Crime Prevention Unit recommendations, however, recommend that your security arrangements must increase as the number of firearms you're storing increases. What's okay for one or two is not going to be okay for nine or ten, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Sika_Stalker

boc
    once you get a suitable reason and you have the ground to use the firearm there is very little reason for the super to say no seeing as you already have other certs
    as to the gun mad reason im my own house there are at the moment there are 3 shotguns and 5 rifles with another 3 rifles on the way
    rifles incoming rifles
    .308 .22lr
    .270 x 2 .220 swift
    .25-06 .270 wsm
    albit we have a very good relationship with the local guards(always give them a bit of venision) the super will nearly always go on his advice.

SS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Cheers lads, i think i'll give it a lash. I think myself that in most cases its down to the local man as he's the one who knows us and the super goes with his recommendation. I've never met my super and hope i never do.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

4 shotguns, 3 Rifles and an air rifle. Also another rifle just been approved. Each has its own use and is quite necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Sparks wrote: »
    ...................Basicly, you have as many as you need (and that's not just common sense, it's the law as well). "Too many" isn't a concept that stands up to too much scrutiny outside of the tabloids I'm afraid.

My super has told me personally during an interview that as far as he's concerned 4 certs is the limit he will give anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

My super has told me personally during an interview that as far as he's concerned 4 certs is the limit he will give anybody.

You should tell you Super that you can't drive stakes with a claw hammer nor do can you drive panel pins with a sledge. right tool for the job and all that. If your fortunate enough to have varied shooting you need the correct tool for the task.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

8 of them, 5 shotties,2 rifle,1 handgun.3 shottie and rifle dual liscensed with the mother. [two rifles in waiting for permit and import]
    One rifle liscense is a combo rifle/shotgun.does this make an extra shotgun as well??:confused:
    Not enough by far.....:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

Hezz700 wrote: »
    . If your fortunate enough to have varied shooting you need the correct tool for the task.

Or you could get a Glock, I've yet to find ANY discipline where it doesn't excel, including coarse fishing and ping pong (or taaable tennis if you're really posh!):D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

You do I find, have to explain in great detail why you want another gun. You do have to have good reason for it, so if you've a hornet for foxes and you want a 223, expect the eyebrows to be raised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

combo rifle/shotgun

410/22lr ??

B'Man

G17 wrote: »
    Or you could get a Glock, I've yet to find ANY discipline where it doesn't excel, including coarse fishing and ping pong (or taaable tennis if you're really posh!):D:D:D:D
    10m air rifle.
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Bananaman wrote: »
    410/22lr ??

B'Man

In the Grizzly armoury I'd say it'll be more down the lines of 20 or 12ga on top and deer suitable below. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

A home we have 2 x .308's, 2 x .22lr's, 3 shotties and a handgun. So thats 8, with an application for a shotgun to be collected and an application for a .243 in the process, that will be 10 between the 3 of us...However i am just about to move all of mines to my new gaff so it will be back down to 5...
    I will be applying for a 9mm for practical and a .204 for foxing within the next year and will be transfering a shottie from the bro's name to my own....I will be the first to say it that we are very lucky as we have a super who is interested in firearms be they for game or practical and he has said that he will not refuse an application if the applicate has just cause for the firearm......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

Mac Tire wrote: »
    A home we have 2 x .308's, 2 x .22lr's, 3 shotties and a handgun. So thats 8, with an application for a shotgun to be collected and an application for a .243 in the process, that will be 10 between the 3 of us...However i am just about to move all of mines to my new gaff so it will be back down to 5...
    I will be applying for a 9mm for practical and a .204 for foxing within the next year and will be transfering a shottie from the bro's name to my own....I will be the first to say it that we are very lucky as we have a super who is interested in firearms be they for game or practical and he has said that he will not refuse an application if the applicate has just cause for the firearm......
    are you starting your army:p if so can i be in it:eek:steve

Advertisement