Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Dublin International Tattoo Convention '08 [ARTISTS CONFIRMED]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

No worries, I'm in work so have restricted net access, wouldn't have minded having a nosey around their sites but most are myspace places so they're blocked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 tattooannie

boo! looking to get anything in particular done?

ps im new here hai!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Jimmy Trigger

Will wrote: »
    €25 for the weekend or €15 per day, first come, first serve basis so go early
    CianRyan wrote: »
    WHERE DO I GET IT?

Dido ...???

Ticketmaster??? Im in Kilkenny. problemo me thinks ... ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

pay at the door dude. no need for ticketmaster

shall be bringing along 2 r 3 others with me for this:D

lol was bringing one the girls as part of her bday present...she was bringing me as part of mine:D

• Advertisement

xRonix is coming from Poland, was in contact with him through BME. Should be a great laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭copperfacegaz

hi, never been to one of these conventions ,, looks cool , im looking to get some work done at this but wouldnt have a clue were to start,,, im looking to get ancient egyptian tat on my arm with some hieroglyphics (ancient egyptian writing) ... anybody have any ideas who wud be the best artist to go to for this ?? tanx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

hi, never been to one of these conventions ,, looks cool , im looking to get some work done at this but wouldnt have a clue were to start,,, im looking to get ancient egyptian tat on my arm with some hieroglyphics (ancient egyptian writing) ... anybody have any ideas who wud be the best artist to go to for this ?? tanx

Would you have an example of the style you're looking for and what level of detail. If you're looking for plain black with not much detail and just lots of little characters any decent artist would fit the criteria. Give us some more info on what you're looking for. No one I know of specializes in Ancient Egyptian style tattoos......probably wouldnt pay the bills I'd imagine. :p

Any more international names confirmed yet? I know Paddy was in Londons conv so I presume he asked a couple to come over. The line-up on Bodyshock.ie looks p1ss poor (from an international perspective) tbh.....What else is on at this ? I'm very much hoping its not a flop of an event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Warhammer

Had a look at the link. Its still the same line-up as far as I can see. Some trade names (Tower etc) a couple of heads from England, Germany and the States and a glut from Ireland. One or two other countries too but they tattoo in Ireland anyway. Where's Jason Butcher, Paul Boothe, Robert Hernandez, Analog Tattoo, Tim Kern, Bob Tyrell.......I've heard the price of a booth is putting off some artists. Pity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭copperfacegaz

Diceicle wrote: »
    Would you have an example of the style you're looking for and what level of detail. If you're looking for plain black with not much detail and just lots of little characters any decent artist would fit the criteria. Give us some more info on what you're looking for. No one I know of specializes in Ancient Egyptian style tattoos......probably wouldnt pay the bills I'd imagine. :p

Thanx diceicle, yeah id be lookin for plain black in an egyptian band around my arm but in the middle have my name in hieroglyphics ! i have pics of the alphabet in ancient egyptian and ideas for the band ,, so i guess ill just go along wit dat and see wat happens .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

The convention lineup is dissapointing to say the least. The booth prices have put a lot of people off, I was supposed to get work off a guy but his boss is no longer willing to pay the price as it was unlikely they'd even be able to break even from it. Very few of the artists (that you can't get tattooed by any other day of the week) are worth even looking at, there's some terrible work in their portfolios. It seems to be money over quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭demon83

whats the entrance fee for the convention, cant seem to see it on the flyers

demon83 wrote: »
    whats the entrance fee for the convention, cant seem to see it on the flyers

You'd be looking around €25 per day over 3 days and maybe a €60 weekend pass. Looks like I'll be saving my money and heading to Manchester in March instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 hibrat

having been to a good few big conventions in other countries €25 a day is pretty steep and I'd have to agree that with the line up it has, it doesn't really seem worth the money. Might be something to do on Sat if nothing else though... :)

15 a day isn it?? 25 for the weekend

yeah i was told 15 per day or 25 for the weekend.

hibrat wrote: »
    Might be something to do on Sat if nothing else though... :)

True. Line-up as posted so far is pretty weak. Over half the artists are Irish or tattooing in Ireland anyway. Maybe the venue is tiny and thats the reason for the low number or tattooists there? Now maybe Bodyshock tried, but this really should have been organised for the week before / after the London convention, better chance of getting over some decent artists that way.

Itd be great to see a full on, all singing, all dancing, well represented tattoo convention held somewhere like one of the sections of the RDS. They had that one day metalfest there a few years ago and that was killer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 hibrat

oopps my bad...got the wrong end of the stick on the whole price thing. Was at the Frankfurt convention again this year and it was a great buzz with diff performances during the day and night like japanese drummers, bondage show, singers, dancers etc. It would be great if something similar was put on here in Dublin :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Eire_Tattoo

Had a look at the link. Its still the same line-up as far as I can see. Some trade names (Tower etc) a couple of heads from England, Germany and the States and a glut from Ireland. One or two other countries too but they tattoo in Ireland anyway. Where's Jason Butcher, Paul Boothe, Robert Hernandez, Analog Tattoo, Tim Kern, Bob Tyrell.......I've heard the price of a booth is putting off some artists. Pity.

These guys do a lot of travelling and seem to limit themselves to the bigger show. Ireland wouldn't have the interest to be able to hold fort with the big names. How many people have heard of any of the above except for people really into tattoos. The above are part of a specific genre of tattoo styles which would not suit Dublin, where a decent Jack of all Trades tattooist would suit much better. I have been tattooed by two of the above and would love for them to come to Dublin, but I am happy enough with what is planned for the Convention and am really looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

These guys do a lot of travelling and seem to limit themselves to the bigger show. Ireland wouldn't have the interest to be able to hold fort with the big names. How many people have heard of any of the above except for people really into tattoos. The above are part of a specific genre of tattoo styles which would not suit Dublin, where a decent Jack of all Trades tattooist would suit much better. I have been tattooed by two of the above and would love for them to come to Dublin, but I am happy enough with what is planned for the Convention and am really looking forward to it.

Have to disagree with you. Boothe did the 1st Dublin convention, Jason Butcher has done not the last con but the two prior (in Leopardstown) and they've attracted some reputable names in the past, Jack Mosher being one that springs to mind. If it were possible (and I dont see why it wouldnt be) the Dublin convention being held a week prior or after the London con at least some of the quality artists that attend London would make the trip over. As for people not knowing the better known artists, the majority of people who go to the Dublin con are people into tattooing and who read the mags etc so I think they would definately know whos who. My basic point is this, Dublins Convention line-up has been better in the past and with the talent thats accross Europe surely something better could have been organised if there was a will there to do it. The line-up as is is over 50% Ireland based anyway, why pay 15 - 25 euro to see / get tattooed by people you can easily get to any other day of the year. I would love to see Dublin being one of the best in Europe, but this seems thrown together. Is this really the best convention we can get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

think i might head to this, just read over 18's only cooooool, other half will have to mind kids hehehehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭tayto909

+1 with diceicle.. the more i read the artists list, the less i feel like going to this.. maybe a tattooist or somone who is involved with the tattoo industry [a.k.a. not a piercer who runs a piercing studio!]will put somthing more substantial together for next year. a decent line-up with some worldclass names.it could be so much better and the sad fact is that many of the U.K.'s regional conventions would put dublin to shame...:mad:

tayto909 wrote: »
    +1 with diceicle.. the more i read the artists list, the less i feel like going to this.. maybe a tattooist or somone who is involved with the tattoo industry [a.k.a. not a piercer who runs a piercing studio!]will put somthing more substantial together for next year. a decent line-up with some worldclass names.it could be so much better and the sad fact is that many of the U.K.'s regional conventions would put dublin to shame...:mad:

Have to agree with you re: the artist list. Its a real pity the quality that is available in Ireland isn't well represented no matter about the quality internationally. From what I've heard, artists at the 2005 convention in the SFX were treated poorly and are not bothered coming to Dublin for work under the current organisers, if someone can confirm this or blow this out of the water all the better. From an artists perspective its a hefty chunk of change to come work in Dublin, if i'm right, its €900 for a booth, on top of that you've flights, food, hotel, drink transport to pay for so a large part of any profit is eaten up straight away.
    For me these conventions should represent the chance to see new artists who you can follow their work / get tattooed by, you can see artists you're a fan of at work and in alot of cases you can get work done by these artists at a convention even when they are booked up for months (or years) in their home studio. So for me at least, this convention fails on many levels.
    With a bit of luck someone fresh might take the reigns for 2009 and we'll get a bigger, better convention deserving of a capital city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

It wouldn't have been so bad had they not told people they were getting the likes of Bob Tyrell, Dan DiMattia, Paul Booth etc. Somebody new should definetely take it over next year and lower the crazy prices per booth. I'm going to this to look around and stuff but I'm saving my money for actual work at the Brighton convention in February.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Eire_Tattoo

Have to disagree with you. Boothe did the 1st Dublin convention, Jason Butcher has done not the last con but the two prior (in Leopardstown) and they've attracted some reputable names in the past, Jack Mosher being one that springs to mind. If it were possible (and I dont see why it wouldnt be) the Dublin convention being held a week prior or after the London con at least some of the quality artists that attend London would make the trip over. As for people not knowing the better known artists, the majority of people who go to the Dublin con are people into tattooing and who read the mags etc so I think they would definately know whos who. My basic point is this, Dublins Convention line-up has been better in the past and with the talent thats accross Europe surely something better could have been organised if there was a will there to do it. The line-up as is is over 50% Ireland based anyway, why pay 15 - 25 euro to see / get tattooed by people you can easily get to any other day of the year. I would love to see Dublin being one of the best in Europe, but this seems thrown together. Is this really the best convention we can get?

Whats with the thumbs down? The Artist list is not great, but if the big names could not pull it off in London this year they certainly won't do it in Dublin. A lot of people who I have talked to at past conventions are very into Tattooing but are not Superstar Tattoo fans or would be willing to pay Superstar prices.

It is not the best convention we can get by far, but the organisation involved in an convention like London, Wales or even Brighton is massive and needs the crowds to pull it off. I am just happy that there is some type of convention to have a few beers and talk tattoos for a few days.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I am just happy that there is some type of convention to have a few beers and talk tattoos for a few days.

My thoughts exactly--at least we`re getting some sort of convention this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

yep beers on the friday night and then saturday when hangover is eased, have a good look round the convention :D

Whats with the thumbs down? The Artist list is not great, but if the big names could not pull it off in London this year they certainly won't do it in Dublin. A lot of people who I have talked to at past conventions are very into Tattooing but are not Superstar Tattoo fans or would be willing to pay Superstar prices.

It is not the best convention we can get by far, but the organisation involved in an convention like London, Wales or even Brighton is massive and needs the crowds to pull it off. I am just happy that there is some type of convention to have a few beers and talk tattoos for a few days.

Thumbs down is because I believe the convention organisers should be executed gladitor style........:eek:
    Lets be straight, the artist list is a step above dog sh1t, not sure what you mean about London not pulling it off or pulling in the names or whatever, but having attended this year, London was killer. One or two well known artists I can think of werent there but most of the artists I do know were. Tyrell, Mosher, Hernandez, Butcher, Zhou, Kern, Yeo, Barba, Bugs, Dimitri, Boris, Tim Hendrix and on and on....and they're just the ones I know of from magazines etc, the other (new to me) talent was also of an unbelievable standard. Why shouldnt Dublin have a standard as high with respect to our size. I'm not expecting to have something on par with London, however what has been organised and who has been organised isnt even as good as previous years ffs.
    As for prices, prices in London were £100 ph and a set price for a larger piece (i.e. usual practice), and as far as I'm aware Tyrell et al were charging the same as everyone else.
    Whats the draw factor here? No big names to get tattooed by or see them at work.............why pay €15 to see some Irish artist you can see tattoo for free in their own studio plus expect some inflated pricing to pay for the luxurious booths.

• Advertisement

In fairnes to Paddy (the organiser) he has been busting his balls to get this together. While I agree there are no huge names, but really, so what? It will hopefully be a good weekend.

There hasn't been a dublin convention in 2 years, there was plenty of time for others to step in and take charge, no one did.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement