Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Garden Centre??

Options
  • 15-06-2008 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just a quick question. We are gonna renovate our gardens (back and front) and want to start by laying a few slabs and putting down some rosebushes and shrubds. We went to B&Q today and were a bit disappointed So anybody know anywhere cheap and cheerful???:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

garden centres aint cheap! They are mainly seasonal and you are slam bang in the most expensive season for them! Yes, I found B&Q to be quite poor. Try maybe the co-op shops around the place, I know there's one out in Carrigaline (they may be worse though!).

You could also try Hanleys in Grange....again, these guys may not be cheap but they do provide a decent delivery service. I bought some fences from them last year and they delivered free of charge..(within reasonable distance I presume).

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

There's a garden centre out the Model Farm Road towards Ballincollig. Ugh, can't remember what the name of it is but it's out towards the cemetary?! We used to go out there to pick up flowers and plants for my grandparents graves but I remember it being impressive.

Sorry, i'm no help for you at all, but perhaps other boardsies can help with the name and exact location?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 al-007

Go to Beech Hill Garden Centre in Montonette - Its a Fantastic spot and will ahve a great range for you to choose from. All the staff have great knowledge and have worked there for years...

Also ...ALL... profit goes to Cope Foundation which owns it so you can think of your investment as a living gift to all the kids and families Cope care for throught Cork City and County...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

the one in Montenotte is good.

there's two in Glounthaune - Dunsland by tower hill, and Hillside. Both reached by turning left on the little island overpass (coming from town).

there's no such thing as a cheap garden centre though.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Behind Elm Tree Bar, Glounthaune - there is a big yard - they are well stocked in slabs/paving stones etc. - I got some gorgeous Sandstones one recently for a raised section of my "teeny yard" - but they are only open on a Saturday till about 14.00 and not on Sundays - if you wanted to have a look at weekends. Great brochure too.

I was "astonished" to see the price of plants/pots on the weekend, that was at the Carrigaline Co-Op or Home Stores (whatever they call them these days). So be nice to everyone who can give you a snip of a plant, once you realise ow expensive they are - you'll be happy to take anything with a root that may grow.

A lot of people recommended a garden centre in Ballygarvan to me - sorry, I have no name for the place - and I've also been told Montenotte/ Glounthaune way for a garden centre.

Back breaking stuff but so worth it in the end. Best of luck! J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

garden centres aint cheap! They are mainly seasonal and you are slam bang in the most expensive season for them! Yes, I found B&Q to be quite poor. Try maybe the co-op shops around the place, I know there's one out in Carrigaline (they may be worse though!).

You could also try Hanleys in Grange....again, these guys may not be cheap but they do provide a decent delivery service. I bought some fences from them last year and they delivered free of charge..(within reasonable distance I presume).

Ah exactly what i like to hear... I not looking for like really cheap just reseanable and ones where the flowers don't look like they have had a corornary

Judes wrote: »
    Behind Elm Tree Bar, Glounthaune - there is a big yard - they are well stocked in slabs/paving stones etc. - I got some gorgeous Sandstones one recently for a raised section of my "teeny yard" - but they are only open on a Saturday till about 14.00 and not on Sundays - if you wanted to have a look at weekends. Great brochure too.

I was "astonished" to see the price of plants/pots on the weekend, that was at the Carrigaline Co-Op or Home Stores (whatever they call them these days). So be nice to everyone who can give you a snip of a plant, once you realise ow expensive they are - you'll be happy to take anything with a root that may grow.

A lot of people recommended a garden centre in Ballygarvan to me - sorry, I have no name for the place - and I've also been told Montenotte/ Glounthaune way for a garden centre.

Thats Judes... its true i remember my mother getting "slips" from people and if she saw the garden now she'd cringe lol thanks!

:eek:
    deRanged wrote: »
    the one in Montenotte is good.

there's two in Glounthaune - Dunsland by tower hill, and Hillside. Both reached by turning left on the little island overpass (coming from town).

there's no such thing as a cheap garden centre though.

yeah i hear ya... cheap doesn't seem to come into the equation... thanks

al-007 wrote: »
    Go to Beech Hill Garden Centre in Montonette - Its a Fantastic spot and will ahve a great range for you to choose from. All the staff have great knowledge and have worked there for years...

Also ...ALL... profit goes to Cope Foundation which owns it so you can think of your investment as a living gift to all the kids and families Cope care for throught Cork City and County...
    that is great and a worthy cause will defin take a trip there... all advice from the staff would be appreciated!

Advertisement