Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shopping in New York

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hi i'm heading to New York in two weeks time and i was thinking of buying a digital camera - i checked out that place that was mentioned - bh photo i think it was but i didnt come across the particular model that i want (canon ixus 80) - is there anywhere else i could try? And are digital cameras really that much cheaper than in Ireland?

Thanks! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

Just thought I'd say...I'm going tomorrow morning! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

leahyl wrote: »
    Hi i'm heading to New York in two weeks time and i was thinking of buying a digital camera - i checked out that place that was mentioned - bh photo i think it was but i didnt come across the particular model that i want (canon ixus 80) - is there anywhere else i could try? And are digital cameras really that much cheaper than in Ireland?

Thanks! :)

Check out Best Buy - they are always cheap for electronics and have a store in downtown Manhattan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭FUNKYTOWWWN

just wondering has anyone been to chinatown?

just wondering has anyone been to chinatown?
    Yes, the food is real Chinese - more like what you'll get in China itself than in your local Chinese restaurant that caters for Western tastes.

For those thinking of buying electronic goods in NY, watch out for customs on your way back through Dublin airport. You are liable for import duties.

For those buying clothes or shoes (men and women) check out Syms at 400 Park Avenue. Their prices are excellent (Hugo Boss suits at $399, Ralp Lauren $250). If you're lucky you might catch one of their famous
    'bashes' when everything is slashed. Last time I caught one of these I was buying Calvin Klein shirts for $4, Italian shoes for $12 etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

PDN wrote: »
    Check out Best Buy - they are always cheap for electronics and have a store in downtown Manhattan.

just checked best buy website and I can't believe it but the camera i want is only 200$! That's 140e - it's about 300 to buy in Ireland!

Someone said something about import duty - can i not just pass it off as my own camera when i'm coming back - like i had it all the time?:D

leahyl wrote: »
    just checked best buy website and I can't believe it but the camera i want is only 200$! That's 140e - it's about 300 to buy in Ireland!
    Make sure that they have the camera you want in stock at that particular store. Occasionally some of the stuff on the website isn't available in the stores. A quick phone call should confirm it.
    Someone said something about import duty - can i not just pass it off as my own camera when i'm coming back - like i had it all the time?
    You can try. :)

Seriously, I travel to the US about once a month on business, and only once in three years have customs ever stopped me at Dublin - and that was because I had a couple of big boxes clearly labelled as being a desktop computer and a monitor. However, please note that this is purely a piece of information I am giving you. The mod of the Christianity forum could hardly be encouraging you to evade customs duty - could he? :)

I find that the bargains on clothes in the US are even better than with electronics. This afternoon I bought myself a very nifty Perry Ellis shirt for $3 and a really smart Ike Behar white dress shirt (retails at $150) for $7 - both on the clearance racks at TJ Maxx.

Happy shopping!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭LittleBear

This is a depressing thread...i do anything to go back 2weeks is not long enough!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭sonx

feck the budget while n New York, it's all going to be soooooooo much cheaper than what u pay for it here, so who cares if u buy a whole new wardrobe!!! Shop away... unless your bank manager rings you up to tell you they think your credit cards been stolen cause it was maxed out in a day, which hasn't happened to anyone I know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sillygrace

jus wonderin if any 1 can help!!! im travellin 2 nyc nxt month and i cant decide which to choose; woodbury or jersey gardens!
    im more interested in handbags, jeans nd hoodies than anythin else shopping wise!! and shoes and tops n jumpers!:D
    the brands im more interested in are guess, juicy couture, abercrombie, hilfiger, nine west etc! so im just wondering where is more suited to me! ive read that woodbury is very pretty whereas jerseys surroundings arent so nice but im not interested in scenery at all! just the actual shopping! if anyone can tell me what would be a better choice id be really grateful!
    im looking for a good selection of nice clothes, bags etc but at good value too! thanks! xx:)xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

sillygrace wrote: »
    jus wonderin if any 1 can help!!! im travellin 2 nyc nxt month and i cant decide which to choose; woodbury or jersey gardens!
    im more interested in handbags, jeans nd hoodies than anythin else shopping wise!! and shoes and tops n jumpers!:D
    the brands im more interested in are guess, juicy couture, abercrombie, hilfiger, nine west etc! so im just wondering where is more suited to me! ive read that woodbury is very pretty whereas jerseys surroundings arent so nice but im not interested in scenery at all! just the actual shopping! if anyone can tell me what would be a better choice id be really grateful!
    im looking for a good selection of nice clothes, bags etc but at good value too! thanks! xx:)xx

I have never been to woodbury commons but I really reccomend Jersey Gardens. It's a lot closer than Woodbury commons and for hoodies and jeans there is a good selection. Although I am sure whatever you don't find in either of these places will be easily available in manhattan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

+1 based on what you're looking for I'd recommend Jersey Gardens. More casual wear than Woodbury Common (altough I like Woodbury too), all the shops you mentioned are there, Juicy Couture is opening soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 wjc

Was in NY last January. Would recommend sticking to the likes of Bloomingdales, Soho, South Sea Seaport, Lexington. Found Woodbury and Century 21 hard work. Stay away from Times Square from a shopping point of view. Found Macys disappointing. You will still be making plenty of savings. Plenty else to do and see in New York. Waste of day going to Woodbury when you could be doing a lot more. Go clothes shopping early in morning and preferably mid-week as you will get shop assistants full attention and wont be queing for changing rooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭lolly.o

Does anyone know what are the big cd/dvd shops in New York - the likes of Virgin, HMV etc?
    And also the same for sports shops - what would be the equivalent to Champion Sports, Lifestyle etc over there???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

My two cents worth.

I have been to NYC the last two xmas'. I (male) found Woodbury Common head and shoulders above Jersey Gardens. While my girlfriend got alot of stuff at WC, she would have bought a hell of alot more had they had her size in it. She is size 8 and found it difficult to find clothes to fit.

I thought Jersey Gardens was terrible. I bought ONE item there. Absolute waste and disaster. My girlfriend got a bit but not alot. Alot of junk stores in it whereas WC is clothes and fashion only.

Just to mention Centuary 21, you need a cool head, big time. Clothes thrown everywhere and the worst thing I found about it was that they had too much hanging on the same rail, i.e you can't browse at the stuff because there is no room for the clothes hanger to slide down the rail look at the top or what ever! Annoyed my alot and I found I just couldnt concentrate to look.

I loved shopping around Soho, Abercrombie down at the port and places like that. Things are laid out well, not packed and the staff are great and its for nothing.

If I was to go again I would do all the shopping around the city tbh and maybe if I had a day, I'd go to Woodbury.

Thanks for reading:pac:

• Advertisement

lolly.o wrote: »
    Does anyone know what are the big cd/dvd shops in New York - the likes of Virgin, HMV etc?
    And also the same for sports shops - what would be the equivalent to Champion Sports, Lifestyle etc over there???

There's a huge Virgin Megastores in Times Square, you can't miss it.

Here's what I think...

Woodbury Common has more high end shops (Dior, Burberry, Chanel, Chloe, Fendi). I like Woodbury, but if I'm going to spend a few hundred dollars on a bag, I want it to be brand spanking new, you do make savings but you're still spending a lot of money on something that is last season's. Calvin Klein, Kenneth Cole, Banana Republic, Ralph Lauren all have a good selection of menswear and there's good bargains to be had, but their women's range is nothing special.

Jersey gardens has a lot of crap stores, but it's range of stores stocking casual clothes, Abercrombie, Hollister etc, is much better than Woodbury Common. I thought the Tommy Hilfiger shops, especially Tommy Kids had a better selection of both clothes and sizes than Woodbury, prices are more or less the same.

For men, older women and bigger brand names Woodbury Common is definitely better, but for younger people and more casual wear I'd recommend Jersey Gardens. The best thing for anyone who is torn between the 2 to do is check both websites and see which appeals to you most.

Woodbury Common
    Jersey Gardens

Also worth checking http://westfield.com/gardenstateplaza/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm heading over to Washington in December and I was wondering if anyone has visited the Leesburg Corner outlet - it's a sister to Woodbury Commons (which I've visited and loved).

wjc wrote: »
    Was in NY last January. Would recommend sticking to the likes of Bloomingdales, Soho, South Sea Seaport, Lexington. Found Woodbury and Century 21 hard work. Stay away from Times Square from a shopping point of view. Found Macys disappointing. You will still be making plenty of savings. Plenty else to do and see in New York. Waste of day going to Woodbury when you could be doing a lot more. Go clothes shopping early in morning and preferably mid-week as you will get shop assistants full attention and wont be queing for changing rooms.

+ 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Oniontops

Was in Woodbury Commons last Feb. Wasn't really impressed. Not a very good selection, very expensive. However, I think i went at a bad time of year...i got the end of the sales. Having said that i got quite cool shoes at really good prices in Saks there.

I guess it depends what you are after and what your syle is. I did a lot of shopping in Manhatten as well - Forever 21 is great.

Bloomingdales is good as well if expensive. Maceys was ok...it wasn't what i expected it to be but worth a visit.

I believe Saks is the place to go to get up to the minute designer jeans.

I'm disheartened here by reviews of Jersy Gardens, it can't be that bad can it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Hey, I'm heading to New York on the 13th december. I really want t oget a pair of Uggs. Any suggestions?
    Also where is the best place to buy MAC, beneFit etc?
    Designer bags- best place to buy these?
    and finally any good plus size stores?

THank you!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

lizt wrote: »
    Hey, I'm heading to New York on the 13th december. I really want t oget a pair of Uggs. Any suggestions?

THank you!!

Hey,

David z always does Uggs http://davidzinc.stores.yahoo.net/stores.html

And also, I was on the department stores websites, Bloomingdales, Saks etc, and they all have them. They seem to be the same price everywhere

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Here's what I think...

Woodbury Common has more high end shops (Dior, Burberry, Chanel, Chloe, Fendi). I like Woodbury, but if I'm going to spend a few hundred dollars on a bag, I want it to be brand spanking new, you do make savings but you're still spending a lot of money on something that is last season's. Calvin Klein, Kenneth Cole, Banana Republic, Ralph Lauren all have a good selection of menswear and there's good bargains to be had, but their women's range is nothing special.

Jersey gardens has a lot of crap stores, but it's range of stores stocking casual clothes, Abercrombie, Hollister etc, is much better than Woodbury Common. I thought the Tommy Hilfiger shops, especially Tommy Kids had a better selection of both clothes and sizes than Woodbury, prices are more or less the same.

For men, older women and bigger brand names Woodbury Common is definitely better, but for younger people and more casual wear I'd recommend Jersey Gardens. The best thing for anyone who is torn between the 2 to do is check both websites and see which appeals to you most.

Would agree with this. Been to NY 4 times and just back from my most recent trip.

Just went to Jersey Gardens this time and picked up some massive bargains.

3 CK suits for $700 dollars and 2 pairs of designer (man) shoes for $100

3 CK shirts for $70 dollars.

A friend got 4 Tommy jumpers for $120 normally €120 each in BT:eek:

GF got a Guess purse for $7 dollars... yes seven!

and a few other things which I cant remember.

Woodbury is more designer and status where as I find JG more casual and everyday wear.

Either way there are massive bargains to be had as JG was empty compared to this time last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

THank you!!

I found Uggs really hard to find when I was in NY. I got them in David Z in a mall outside the city. Journeys does them too. Download a list of Ugg stockists and ring them from your hotel phone when you're there. It's free to call a local number.

I'd get Mac in any dept store, but make sure to go to Sephora, it's a make-up paradise.

For designer bags, depends on which brand. I had to go to Saks for Gucci but LV was in a few places for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭GSpoon

Woodbury Comman is pretty cool, Ralph Lauren, Guess and Tommy Hilfiger have some great bargains.. There is also a saks store which was pretty good. Havent been to Jersey gardens.

Mainly casual stuff tho!

Worth a trip out if u havent been before. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭lochie

Hey I am heading to NY in a week and half. Never been before and just wondering where would be the best place to get Dermalogica products? tried the Sephora website but they don't seem to stock it.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

My mum is looking to buy some shoes in New York this December. She has kinda wide feet though and last year in NY the couple of shoe shops we wandered into didn't have anything that would appeal to her.

Anyone recommend any decent shoe shops that might cater for her? (She's only 50 by the way so she's not looking for "old lady" shoes either)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

lochie wrote: »
    Hey I am heading to NY in a week and half. Never been before and just wondering where would be the best place to get Dermalogica products? tried the Sephora website but they don't seem to stock it.
    Thanks!

The dermalogica website has a search function where you can find locations of shops that sell it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

There's a huge Virgin Megastores in Times Square, you can't miss it.

Didn't see that one but there's a huge one at union square.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

Jersey gardens i find to be a lot more up to date than woodbury, woodbury tends to have better discounts but you can tell why by looking at the clothes, dreadful a lot of the time. Been to ny for the last 6 years so have an educated shopping point of view.

For eau de parfum-toilette ? Canal st in chinatown, bargain and test a few places you'll get 5 x 100 ml for 70-75 dollars, haven't had a bad buy there yet.

Fifth avenue is brilliant if you have the money to match the ambition. There's "high street" aswell as high line fasion on tap at every corner.

Personally though Soho has to be explored, walk from canal st where it meets broadway north and you'll find what is essentially Soho's main street, plenty here like h&m (x2) zara (main difference in the soho stores is they are far more fashion and boutique concious than uptown counterparts)

Keep an eye out for sample sales, came across a good few this year in soho, picked up a pair of evisu jeans for $99 amazing value as only Harvey nichols stock them in the rep of ireland and usually retail at 350+.
    (Yes. ouch for mens jeans)

Avoid times square generally speaking on a shopping front, retail wise staff seem to be a lot more obnoxious here, 34th street is a decent bet(empire state building territory) from 7th avenue which is know as the fashion district to 3rd avenue there is a great selection of stores.
    For the ladies Victorias Secret is a must while the discerning gent will also find plenty to tickle the cobwebs of the wallet.

Macy's is on 34th and while it does not employ the worlds greatest staff from a customer service perspective, it does offer a huge product range and hosts some fantastic sales. Micheal Guineys prices would have some decent competition some days !!!!!!

Hope this serves as some purpose to those of you who visit the most frantic, crazy and INFECTIOUS city in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 silvergirl

I'm heaing to NY on Thursday and intend to do some serious shopping on Friday and Saturday. Sevens are first on my list. Any good stores which I can go to which will have a wide selection of them. I don't want to be going from place to place if possilbe. Time is precious!!

I've been to Woodbury before and TBH if you have the time to spare on your trip to NY it's worth a look. Last time I was there was in January - a lot of sale stuff. I picked up Tommy and Ralph for family but I would suggest that you get your sizes right before you go. It's worth having a list of the american sizes which correspond to the European sizes for both shoes and clothes. It will save you a lot of hassel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

Heading over shortly, hoping to get a few nice pairs of jeans, I'm curvy is it hard to get bigger sizes? Never been before:(

I'm with you on this. I am desperately seeking some fabulous jeans but am stumped. I'm fairly tall 5' 8" and am between a 12 to 14 yet its impossible to find jeans. I'm heading to NYC next weekend and hope to purchase.......any help appreciated.

kizzyr wrote: »
    I'm with you on this. I am desperately seeking some fabulous jeans but am stumped. I'm fairly tall 5' 8" and am between a 12 to 14 yet its impossible to find jeans. I'm heading to NYC next weekend and hope to purchase.......any help appreciated.

GAP are very good with size and length. Was over there last year and got two pairs of jeans for about $40 and I'm a size 16.

Old navy are good as well and Tommy hilfiger does big sizes too.

GAP are very good with size and length. Was over there last year and got two pairs of jeans for about $40 and I'm a size 16.

Old navy are good as well and Tommy hilfiger does big sizes too.[/QUOTE

Thanks for that. Isn't it a little crazy that at a size 12 to 14 (UK / Irish sizes) is now considered big? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭aoife161

lochie wrote: »
    Thanks!

Hi I bought some Dermalogica when I was in New York last year and a big bottle 500 ml of the special cleansing gel was 45 dollars. I since bought it recently from a website called care4yourskin.com and think it was about 27 pounds so its probably a bit cheaper to buy from that site and I got it in 2 days.
    In New york I got it in a beautician bar not far from Bloomingdales you might source it cheaper elsewhere.Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

It's worth getting the bus to New Jersey as there is no tax on shopping there. You'll find Ugg and Abercrombie in most shopping malls. The perfumes and make ups are much cheaper there too. There's a town called Flemington with an outlet centre and very cut price Hilfiger, Ralph Lauren, DKNY, American Eagle etc etc... :D

Old navy are good as well and Tommy hilfiger does big sizes too.[/QUOTE

Thanks for that. Isn't it a little crazy that at a size 12 to 14 (UK / Irish sizes) is now considered big? :confused:

I know what you mean... Personally I think it really depends on the person. Eg a person who's a size 12 or 14, that may be their perfect proportion. You only have to look at many of the plus size models who are out there to see that "big" can be beautiful. As long as your size doesn't impact on your health, I don't think there should be any problems. I'll never be a size 6 or 8 because it just wouldn't be natural!!

Sorry for going off topic....

I know what you mean... Personally I think it really depends on the person. Eg a person who's a size 12 or 14, that may be their perfect proportion. You only have to look at many of the plus size models who are out there to see that "big" can be beautiful. As long as your size doesn't impact on your health, I don't think there should be any problems. I'll never be a size 6 or 8 because it just wouldn't be natural!!

Sorry for going off topic....

I hear you! Being between 12 and 14 I'm carrying about 7lbs extra but at a 12 am perfect with a healthy diet and lifestyle. Any thinner and I'd be horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭kathy2

Just around the corner from macys opp empire state is a lane brant, I got nice jeans in there.

Near macys is also a kmart, great for some stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭hockeygirl

just thought seeing as how i originally started this thread ... ages ago ... lol
    I am finally on the countdown for my trip to NY..... 29th Dec!!!!

Helloooooo designer jeans!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Try Gap's Long and Lean jeans. They come in loads of washes and they're fabulous. My mum (size 14) and myself (size 10) both have a pair, they look great on the both of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Betsy-Wetsy

i went to New York last christmas to shop aswell and oh my, it was only spectacular!!!:D
    Saks 5th ave. is a must,you'll spend hours in there!!
    and aldo for shoes.
    some really good restaurants are Bobby Van's in Times Sq. and Smith and Wollensky steak house.
    have a brilliant time!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭mizzzy

just heard from a friend about a competition to go to new york with spending money!!!:)!!!

head to new jersey....10% tax on everything bought on manahttan island

..id avoid wodburry commons....bit over rated and FULL to the BRIM of irish!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭Carmeii

Does anyone know how much ugg boots will be from the ugg shop in woodbury common? my sister is gonna get them for me but im not sure how many dollars to give her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 crowlef2

I have just come back (saturday) and nearly every shop has a sale on, u will do so much shopping in new york itself you might find you dont even need to go to the outlets, i had every intention of going, but ran out of money and time. there is great bargins to be got at the minute- in macys, they are doing the usual 11% for international visitors, plus there are these other cards they are giving out for an additional 20% off, think its called a family and friends card, plus some items are on sale with up to 40% off, worked out great for the handbags.

Make up- there was some great sales in Sephora, 50% off some of the products.

In barneys i was able to get a pair of Christain Louboutin shoes for about 300 euro- bargin.
    Uggs were 170 dollars in Journeys and the EMU version were only about 70 dollars in shoemania.
    even my other half done great, pairs of offical timerland and caterpillar boots for about 35 dollars.

would go back tomorrow if i had the money, so poor now, but worth every penny:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

mizzzy wrote: »

Oh Christ, not the Irish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I was in the states for a weeks holiday recently, and we stopped off for a few hours at the Leebsurg Outlet just outside Washington D.C. (It's a sister outlet to the one in Woodbury Commons - though not as good.) I have a summary of my shopping on my blog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭*Dallas

someone said that Canal street was good for shopping? is there shops there or is where they sell all the fake bags?

I didnt get to shop on my first trip over there, but I loved the Manhattan Mall, they have a Charlotte Russe store and it is excellent. It is located on Herald square beside Macys.

However, a mild word of warning, the food mall court in the basement is disgusting and intimidating!
    There was people beggin coming over as you eat :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭GSpoon

*Dallas wrote: »
    someone said that Canal street was good for shopping? is there shops there or is where they sell all the fake bags?

its the spot for all the fake designer bags and (tiffany) jewellery!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

mizzzy wrote: »

Depends on what you are looking for, if it's big time designer then yeah i'd agree, the main problem I found was if you are L or XL sorted if not, they have a starbucks for coffee. I'm a 5'6" athletic build and could find very little to fit me, that said Under Armour had a load of stuff in my size so I ended up spending a fortune there and in Sketchers. The likes of Gap and The North Face (two stores I expected to give a lot of money to) just seem to use it as a dumping ground, still definitely thought it was worth the trip out there.

Two things though, get a locker early when you go in so you can use it later & definitely a good idea to bring a large bag or case it makes it a lot easy to bring the clothes back.

As for full of Irish, if fairness you did contribute to that problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement