Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics:Question about a ><> F expt.

Options
  • 15-06-2008 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

In The Graph, What goes on the y-axis and the x-axis? because in the book "real world physics", it says acceleration goes on the y-axis and force goes on the x-axis.but in the Folens Exam Papers, it says Force goes on the y-axis and acceleration goes on the x-axis.I m confused.help!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 dshalloo

Force goes on the X and Acceleration goes on the Y :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Calorimeterman

It doesn't matter, you only have to show proportionality, just as long as you lable your axis acceleration and force, get a neat little line through the origin, they can't mark you wrong...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭starkinter

It's easier to put force on the Y and acceleration on the X, I think, because then the slope is the mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pocket aces

you usually put the unit you have control over (in this case, force) on the x axis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 benzwOw

acceleration y axis
    force x axis
    here look: http://www.mathsphysics.com/Physics/Newton.htm

this is nice site for physics expt.s :rolleyes:
    http://www.mathsphysics.com/Physics/applets.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

I have a problem drawing graphs in that I spend too long thinking about exactly where I should point my dot. "It's a little over half way between 0.5 and 0.6 so I'll put it up just more than half, but way should I go one or two or three boxes?" -> for every point, ****.

Does it need to be accurate AT ALL? within how many boxes?

Also, use pen for pointing the dots and the axis and pencil for the line is good right?

For diagrams, is it important to use pencil and straight lines as my teacher says or am I right in thinking you just need to get the diagram across to the examiner?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

declan_lgs wrote: »
    I have a problem drawing graphs in that I spend too long thinking about exactly where I should point my dot. "It's a little over half way between 0.5 and 0.6 so I'll put it up just more than half, but way should I go one or two or three boxes?" -> for every point, ****.

Does it need to be accurate AT ALL? within how many boxes?

Also, use pen for pointing the dots and the axis and pencil for the line is good right?

For diagrams, is it important to use pencil and straight lines as my teacher says or am I right in thinking you just need to get the diagram across to the examiner?

I know what you mean, i spend way to much time on the diagrams. just used pencil and be as accurate as you can without spending more than 30s thinking about it. a box or two off won't matter. It's only 12 marks!

Im using black pen for the axes and pencil for the lines. diagrams dont need to be perfect. It's not an art exam. :) just remember labels!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

dankes!

Advertisement