Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Working in a hostel

• 15-06-2008 8:29pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I want to go to the states next year, not on a J1 per se, but just to be there. My main problem is I can't easily afford accommodation, so I'm thinking about living and working in a hostel. I know staff get free board generally in return for doing a certain level of work in the place. Does anyone know anything about this, have experience of it, or know how I can find out about it? Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Yeah i done it in USA hostels in San Diego with a mate a few years ago. But i gave it up pretty quick and moved into an apartment. They gave me a free room and i would work instead of getting paid. It would only be for a while in the morning and in the evening/night but the 7am hoovering and stuff just wrecked my head so i gave it up. I had to go knocking on doors and clean the room. Most people do be up at the crack of dawn but you get some people sleeping off a hang over and the last thing they need is me knocking at 8 in the morning. You'd also clean up the kitchen, make beds, clean up the common room, fill general customer requests, help organize nights out etc. They were sound to work for and got on great with people staying there and other people working there but it wasn't for me. Think i lasted 3 weeks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Thanks for the reply! How did you find out about the job? Did you apply before you went, or while you were there? Did you only get board, or did you get some pay too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I was going to college over there and went over a bit early. So i had to get a hostel first before i sorted things out accommodation wise. So i just happened to ask one of the people working there about jobs and he said that they needed a few people. So i asked and i got one of the positions. As did a mate i got to know in New York before i headed out to SD. Nah i wasn't paid. I think receptionists might have got paid. I would work for 3-4 hours every morning 6 days a week. But they allowed me to go on tours down to TJ and because i can speak Spanish i would translate things and get tips. My mate worked in this make shift bar in the common room and got tips for that too. But i was eating into my own money too much and plus i got pissed off with it. So i quit and went to work in a bar.

Advertisement