Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion from a Atheist viewpoint

Options
  • 15-06-2008 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

This was brought up in another thread. Rather than veer way off topic I felt this could use a thread of its own.
    There's a poll. It's public so people will be able to see what you voted for. I do this (much like my poll in the Christianity forum) so people the poll is not aimed do not skew the results.
    People of religious faith feel free to join the discussion, but please refrain from voting.

As an atheist (or agnostic I suppose) how do you feel about abortion? 192 votes

I am very much 'pro choice'
    0%
    I am against abortion entirely
    81%
    TwoShedsJacksonStephenSir Digby Chicken Caesarsixpack's little hatBalfaDont be at yourselfIvanDasilva94the_sycopHGordonseamuslaykeGoodshapeBottle_of_SmokeBeruthielMrPuddingWintersradiospanChad ghostal 157 votes
    I am against abortion except for in cases of rape
    6%
    Rev HellfireAn Fear AniarbeanskmickTar.AldarionCtrlSourceSam VimesMinderSplendourMarcus.AureliusPhototoxinPlowman 12 votes
    I am against abortion except for in cases of rape and also incest
    1%
    GalvaseanAtomicHorror_JOE_ 3 votes
    Undecided
    10%
    shinobiCaliboshusseyDampsquidbada_bingNichololasGegertyParsleyMooseJamTim RobbinsZorbaTehZMehhjackdawXxlauraxXWooPeeAShinji Ikariroy harperMuppet ManMy name is URLDude111 20 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

I voted pro-choice. I would be interested in your reasoning Galvasean. Do you think the foetus suffers in most cases?

Whilst I am pro-choice I do think there needs to be continued scientific study to see what foetuses can feel at certain stages of development. I don't think it's black and white.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Nothing fits with my opinion in that pole. I am against abortion along with rape cases. In life threatening instances and so on a case can be made. If you believe a foetus is a human and is a life I don't think it should be punished for the crimes of it's father.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Hmmm, it would seem the poll is not public. I could have sworn the box was ticked...

Onward. On the topic of the foetus suffering it seems likely that a foetus can feel pain from fairly early stages. Since most abortions are carried out after said stages it looks likely that suffering occurs. Although i also agre that we need to do more research on this topic.
    As I voted that I will only condone abortion after rape has occurred (assuming this can be proven too, so people don't yell rape every time they were careless win the bedroom) I should explain my position. If a woman has had to go through the trauma of being raped one can only imagine the stress of pregnancy would be detrimental to her mental health. Also, giving birth to the offspring of one's rapist would, I can only imagine, be very traumatic.

Hope this helps. If anyone wants me to elaborate please don't hesitate to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Undecided
    Galvasean wrote: »
    This was brought up in another thread. Rather than veer way off topic I felt this could use a thread of its own.
    There's a poll. It's public so people will be able to see what you voted for. I do this (much like my poll in the Christianity forum) so people the poll is not aimed do not skew the results.
    People of religious faith feel free to join the discussion, but please refrain from voting.

I am mainly against the concept of abortion. The problem with "pro-choice" is you never specified the choices. It's quite a complex issue so there would be quite a range of potential choices.

I am mainly against the concept of abortion. The problem with "pro-choice" is you never specified the choices. It's quite a complex issue so there would be quite a range of potential choices.

I put 'pro choice' in inverted commas as that is generally the phrase used when people mean 'I am in favour of allowing abortion'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hmmm, it would seem the poll is not public. I could have sworn the box was ticked...

Onward. On the topic of the foetus suffering it seems likely that a foetus can feel pain from fairly early stages. Since most abortions are carried out after said stages it looks likely that suffering occurs. Although i also agre that we need to do more research on this topic.
    As I voted that I will only condone abortion after rape has occurred (assuming this can be proven too, so people don't yell rape every time they were careless win the bedroom) I should explain my position. If a woman has had to go through the trauma of being raped one can only imagine the stress of pregnancy would be detrimental to her mental health. Also, giving birth to the offspring of one's rapist would, I can only imagine, be very traumatic.

Hope this helps. If anyone wants me to elaborate please don't hesitate to ask.

The poll is public.

On the topic of it being traumatic, I believe she would be ok after a while, the baby(in my eyes) wouldn't have such a chance. It is traumatic yes but I don't think it justifies a death, she would need the right help around her during this. I know this would be a tough experience for the lady involved.

Someone already said. It is public, you have to click on the results to see who voted what.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

I don't understand why whether or not someone being raped has any affect on it. I think the abortion debate is about whether or not the foetus is a person. If it is a person, you can't kill it, if it isn't you can. Whether or not the woman was raped has no baring on this, murder is already illegal.

It's mainly a scientific debate, not a philosophical or moral one as far as I'm concerned. And since there is a great deal of doubt in the scientific region, (on when brain function starts .. etc) people should er on the side of caution when murdering babies (lolz)

Anywya, I best get out of here, I was only drawn in by the evolution topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭,8,1

Abortion is Neo-pagan human sacrifice.

,8,1 wrote: »
    Abortion is Neo-pagan human sacrifice.

Good contribution.

• Advertisement

raah! wrote: »
    I don't understand why whether or not someone being raped has any affect on it. I think the abortion debate is about whether or not the foetus is a person. If it is a person, you can't kill it, if it isn't you can. Whether or not the woman was raped has no baring on this, murder is already illegal.

To me, its kind of like a 'balance of suffering' issue. If the raped woman having to go through her pregnancy causes more pain than terminating the unborn I feel the abortion could be justified. Likewise were the woman to be suicidal, then both will ultimately end up dead, so abortion would be the only logical conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Unfortunatly when dealing with laws, we cannot take these things into account. If you murdered hitler you woudl still be sent to jail for murder, and since we are talking about making it legal/illegal that is really all that should matter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I put 'pro choice' in inverted commas as that is generally the phrase used when people mean 'I am in favour of allowing abortion'.

I voted 'pro-choice' as this was the nearest option to what my personal opinion would be, but it only shows that your poll options are incomplete. I would not be in favour of allowing abortion in all cases, but of course the issue of where to draw lines is the big problem, and it's a problem that will likely never be solved as it's such a complex issue on which there will probably never be agreement.

Unfortunatly when dealing with laws, we cannot take these things into account.
    Considering there has been proposed legislations to have abortion outlawed with exception of in cases of rape and incest such things are very much being taken into account on a wide scale.
    If you murdered hitler you woudl still be sent to jail for murder, and since we are talking about making it legal/illegal that is really all that should matter

If you murdered Hitler in a war scenario you'd be a hero, but i suppose that is beside your point.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I voted undecided.

I would say perhaps I veer towards pro choice.

I don't have kids, and I don't feel I have the right to decide for people in that situation whether they should be forced to come to term.

I would assume my opinion on this will change one way or the other with age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Well, as you can see I'm very much pro-choice. My reasons are that I don't think a woman's uterus is the property of the state, nor do I think a human embryo can be considered life, any more that your arm, heart, liver etc..

Also, I highly doubt that something with no developed brain or nervous system can suffer pain, or have a concept of what 'being alive' even is.

SDooM wrote: »
    I voted undecided.

I would say perhaps I veer towards pro choice.

I don't have kids, and I don't feel I have the right to decide for people in that situation whether they should be forced to come to term.

I would assume my opinion on this will change one way or the other with age.

I'd say that not having kids is advantage to you when considering this issue, as you are less likely to allow your emotions to cloud your judgement.

Well, as you can see I'm very much pro-choice. My reasons are that I don't think a woman's uterus is the property of the state, nor do I think a human embryo can be considered life, any more that your arm, heart, liver etc..

Also, I highly doubt that something with no developed brain or nervous system can suffer pain, or have a concept of what 'being alive' even is.

Abortions that occur at later stages include those that have started to develop nervous systems. So it ain't quite so clear cut. :p As for the development of the brain - well, like I said, more research!

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure the nervous system develops fairly early. As for the functions of the brain, that is later, but we're not sure yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

100% pro choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Where's the pro-abortion option? I hate the term "pro-choice".

If it's acceptable for a guy to masturbate or a girl to menstruate, then I don't see the problem with killing a zygote. After that, there's really no way of determining when it becomes a human.

Ultimately, I might seem a bit cold for saying this, but I really amn't too pushed about the death of something with zero real life experience or anything to define them as a unique person (DNA means nothing to me in this context).

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    If it's acceptable for a guy to masturbate or a girl to menstruate, then I don't see the problem with killing a zygote. After that, there's really no way of determining when it becomes a human.

Abortion is not just about zygotes. A zygote is a very early stage of the development. Abortions can be carried out at much later stages.

Ultimately, I might seem a bit cold for saying this, but I really amn't too pushed about the death of something with zero real life experience or anything to define them as a unique person (DNA means nothing to me in this context).

Exactly! Where's the value? Some might say that abortion takes away potential for a life to develop, but like you said, so does masturbation, or indeed to decision to not have sex with somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

But there's a difference to those two terms. I'm pro-choice in that I'm personally against abortions, but believe that everyone should have the right to choose for themselves. So, I can't really be fully described as pro-abortion.

iUseVi wrote: »
    Abortion is not just about zygotes. A zygote is a very early stage of the development. Abortions can be carried out at much later stages.

I think we need more options in the poll! :D

iUseVi wrote: »
    Of course. But my point was that I can't see a problem with abortion at the moment of conception.

Of course. But my point was that I can't see a problem with abortion at the moment of conception.

Well I can't see a problem with that either. As Sam Harris says, with the advances in genetic manipulation these days, every time you scratch your nose you are committing mass murder. All those skins cells were potential people! :pac:

For me the crux of the matter is the cut off point. At what stage does a foetus suffer? Not an easy answer I don't suppose. :rolleyes:

So would you be ok with painless (to the foetus) abortions?

I never understood the suffering argument.....

So would you be ok with painless (to the foetus) abortions?

I never understood the suffering argument.....

Hmm well the way I use the suffering argument is thus. If YOU were the foetus, would you be conscious of any suffering by your removal from the womb? If yes, then it is wrong. If no, then fine.

Obviously a zygote is not conscious of pain or suffering. A small foetus would also be unaware of anything, since it has no developed brain.

It's not a question of pain perception per se. You can easily kill full grown adults by anaesthetising, and they won't feel pain. But an adult would be entirely conscious of the process. They have a brain, and a fully developed nervous system, etc.

I don't know enough about embryology to make an informed judgement on abortion cut-off points. But in theory I am pro-choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

I'd be pro-choice. As has already been said it is no concern of the government if a girl wants to have an abortion.

But since it can be a life altering decision either way I think it's important that there is some degree of education about both outcomes, i.e. make them aware of the possibility of regret if she decides to along with an abortion as well as the difficulties faced with having a baby.But I'd hate to see abortion become commonplace and like a '1 hour photo' shop, or a place to go during lunch.

Advertisement