Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion from a Atheist viewpoint

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I am against abortion entirely
    aidan24326 wrote: »
    At what stage can we say to a woman it's too late, you can no longer abort your baby?

I suppose its a bit like the age of consent. Sure, there's a whole spectrum rather than discrete stages, we don't suddenly go from child to adult over night. But we do need to, for sheer practicality, say "Ok, this is the point" and agree that we'll go with that even if its a little hamfisted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

I think the poll pretty much speaks for itself at this point.

I'd be pro-choice also.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

For the most part you are right, people should take care of their kids until aldulthood (and the people who take of their kids out of love will continue to care after adulthood). There are some cases, though, where the most responsible thing is to let more capable people take care of the children.

Who would judge who would be capable?
    I don't know why an atheist would see this as a punishment.

I'm not atheist, and I see it as a punishment as your forcing women to do something they don't want to do.
    The only punishment I can see is to the foetus, for daring to be formed against the odds, and adding the responsibility of a child to someones future.

We shoudn't "reward" a featus simply because it "survived against the odds". If this was the case, would it have precedent over the womans life?

If you get into a boxing ring, wearing all the headgear, the gum shield and the gloves, but you end up with a broken jaw, do you see that as a punishment? No, its merely the undesired outcome, which you have to deal with. You can't say "well I don't want a broken jaw, I took precautions, therefore I'm not dealing with it".

Yes, but you receive treatment for the broken jaw. Doctors won't let you deal with your own consequences. Even if you wore no protection. You can refuse medical attention, but thats your choice.

Things is, parasite, zygote, featus or baby, its still human, and I don't believe in the killing of humans, least of all because it makes someones life harder.

You believe it's human when the sperm and egg combine. Why then is it a human and not before? What characteristics does it have over an animal? (I'm aware your against animal abortion, but I doubt many people would care if we were talking about a rat or spiders)

You've just shown that each scenario needs to examined seperately. The responsibility is to make sure the child has the best upbringing it can get, so you'd have to examine whether or not the parents are capable of taking care of the child and raising it in a good enviroment. There are some cases where the child staying with original parents might be bad for the child, so adoption could be the best thing for it. I don't believe there is a black and white solution to this.

This is once again flawed. By this scenario, I could adopt a baby from a poor family in Africa because it'd be "better" for him. People don't have children so they can give them away. Also using your logic, why would people take the children away to orphanage, surely we'll wait and let the children decide? I mean the parents had to endure the child they didn't want for 9 months anyway. another 3 years shouldn't be that much of a problem as it's their "responsibility"

This is why I avoided discussing rape, its very complicated. On the one hand, I'm sure there are women who would abuse that system and claim rape to get an abortion, but this might make men a damn sight more careful about who they have sex with. As to women who are actually raped having to go through a review precedure, that may necessarily be a bad thing. More rapes would be reported, so more rapists would be caught.

Not true. Most women don't want to relive their experience and don't want others to know that they were violated. Going through a review procedure would be traumatising as having women "prove" that they don't want the rapists child.
    it would be hard for the women, sure, but I think dealing with rape, withe help of a mental health councellor would be better for them in the long than keeping the rape bottled up for so long.

But you can't force women to do that. Thats the whole point of my arguement. You can't make people do things they don't want to.

I don't think the responsibility should be given to the rapists to look after the kid, or make decisiions on its wellbeing, but things like financial responsibility, then yes, the rapist should be made responsible (while in prison, of course)

Why? Why should rapists who have been given their sentence not be allowed raise the child? Like a rapist getting 50 hours community service. He is "reformed" and paid for his actions, yet he should never be allowed raise his child? Why? Because of one action he has paid his dues for? Would murderers be allowed raise children? Would thieves? Would people who are to "drunk and disorderly" be allowed raise their own children? Your case only works if the childs life would be in danger.

If a woman is already pregnant, then she wont get pregnant by another man, so why would she get an abortion because of the rape?

Well, why would rape have special status over anthing else in this matter? Besides the pregnancy would just remind her of the incident, not to mention she would get a feeling that the baby would have been tainted by the rapist and she'd wish to try again. All I'm saying is that abortion should never be locked up in a country as a "NO". It doesn't make any sense. Your forcing your own beleifs on others, which in this day and age is a joke tbh.

Well assumin that incest was actually has been shown to give a large increase in the chance of birth defects in every child birth (some thing I don't know, if anyone can confirm or refute this, then please do), then I would think that the best thing would be sterilisation, so that no kids can be conceived and then if they really wanted kids, then they could adopt.

I'll take it that there is a high chance of birth defects. How about people more likely to pass on their conditions to their children? Should they be allowed have children? Should they be all sterilised? Adoption is not a solution, neither is sterilisation. I'd like to have my own child not someone elses. I'd also like to be able to concieve and not be forced into sterilisation.

Leave a baby in a shopping centre, with all the food, clothing, medicine etc that it could possibly need to grow, but absolutely no-one is allowed into the supermarket. Will it continue to grow? Will it even survive? Sure, essentially anyone allowed into the supermarket could take of it, but it wouldn't survive by itself.

So, your classifing babies and featus as the same? Does getting older mean we're more "human", or are we all the same? The funny thing is, the baby can move and probably won't figure it out. However, the featus, definatly will die. No questions asked. I'm not saying thats why a baby should live and a featus not.

Surely your friend should get her cat neutered before it could get pregnant? (if nothing else it would mean only one vet visit, not two, saving her a lot of money)

It's not about saving money (your arguement). Anyway, it was a hypothetical situation. She couldn't find a difference between a human featus and an animal featus. I acknowledge you find them both worthy of life. However, she couldn't find the difference. So I'm asking all the "no" people why should we value animals lower than humans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I am against abortion except for in cases of rape
    Burial wrote: »
    So I'm asking all the "no" people why should we value animals lower than humans?
    We should value both people and animals on their worth or potential worth to society.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

so, abortions for unemployed people?

• Advertisement

Goodshape wrote: »
    Pro-choice.

I think the issue should constantly be debated (incl. when does life start, does the embryo feel, etc.) but while the debate is ongoing the choice should be available.

I agree that the choice for anyone should be there. It's not fair to force your beliefs on people who don't believe as you do.
    Personal opinion -- I'd find it hard to "shed a tear" for the loss of an embryo which has no experience, concept or idea of life.

How does one judge/ask this featus, and find out what its concept or idea of life is? Someone just born would hardly have any conecpt, idea or experience of life...
    Tar said above that the child shouldn't suffer for the sins of the father (re: a rape case)... but what about the suffering of the mother with an unwanted pregnancy and unwanted child... or the suffering of being the unwanted child.

I agree.
    Zillah wrote:
    I suppose its a bit like the age of consent. Sure, there's a whole spectrum rather than discrete stages, we don't suddenly go from child to adult over night. But we do need to, for sheer practicality, say "Ok, this is the point" and agree that we'll go with that even if its a little hamfisted.

Even then it's still wrong to force a woman not to have an abortion. I think the point for stopping a woman having an abortion is if the featus could be saved surgically.
    We should value both people and animals on their worth or potential worth to society.

So your saying lets not abort featus X because I think it has potential to benefit society? Where would you draw the line? How would you draw the line? You will not know who will be a Hitler or Einstein. Or are you saying we value them by their parents worth/future worth to society or the featus' future worth to society??

We're speaking of value here or realistic potential.

A person who is unemployed has the potential to be beneficial to society once they regain employment.

I simply disagree with the idea that either animals or humans are somehow simply deserving of life simply by being.

There are too many unanswered questions to get anywhere near a satisfactory conclusion to the abortion issue, and people may never agree on it.

People will never agree on it. No matter who made the better arguement. Some people will still view themselves in the featus and think "omg, that could be me" No joke. This has been peoples sole reason for not liking an abortion before...
    To summarise:

1.What does it mean to be human?

This is a tough one, I'll try to respond to it best I can in awhile.
    2.Does the fact that a clump of cells contains all the necessary genetic ingredients to become a human give it some right to protection?

No, because it isn't human.
    3.Do we draw a distinction between an embryo in a lab and one already in the womb, and if so why?

No, we don't. They are both embryo's.
    4.At what point in its development does the embryo/foetus become something recognisably human?How do we even measure this? See question 1

For measuring it see my above post. As for recognisably human, see above also.
    5.If we see the foetus as a parasite, then in what way is the new-born baby so different? It needs almost constant care and supervision.

It greatest difference is that it's not living off another person to survive. It's developing/learning skills to survive on it's own.
    6.Since we can't currently say at what point a foetus becomes 'human', should we just draw a line at birth altogether? No universal right to life until the umbilical cord is cut?

No. If the featus can be saved then it should be saved. however, I'm still not 100% sure of my stance on that issue yet,(Surgically removing the featus?) though for now it's if it can be saved, it should be saved.
    7.On the other hand, the foetus/child both developed the potential to become human at the moment of fertilization, why is the unborn foetus more deserving of protection than the embryo? Surely it's just an accident of timing and luck that one has made it further than the other.

That is what I've been saying. If you don't approve of abortion, you mustn't approve of contraception. Though even I admit thats a bit of a leap, you must understand that I can't get how people only approve if it's further on in its development process, then something else, even though they both have margainly the same potential...
    I believe until we can answer these questions and others the abortion debate will go on and on and round and round because we just don't know what it truly means to be 'alive' as a human being.

Personally I believe to be alive (as a human) requires consciousness, self-awareness, a functioning mind. Does that mean that someone who is severely retarded or brain damaged is less alive? I suppose it does. Yet the foetus who can hear, feel, respond to voices, music etc is not entitled to any protection, while someone who is effectively a vegetable still has all the same rights to life as every other living person?

The difference is that the featus is essentially living off of someone. The person on life support has their choice to live or die. The one who is retarded or brain damaged, is still alive and can still function and live on his/her own. Why is someone who is brain damaged, have less of a functioning mind? What would a functioning mind must be able to do before it is a "working" mind?
    I've always considered myself pro-choice. But where do we draw the line? At what stage can we say to a woman it's too late, you can no longer abort your baby? Is it always the woman's right to choose? If not then why?

Read my post regarding drawing the line.
    Sorry for all the questions, but I'm just trying to summarise on how hopelessly complex an issue this is, and that this thread could probably run to 1000 pages and still get nowhere.

This debate has been going on since abortion was figured out/invented. I doubt it'd end anytime soon...

A person who is unemployed has the potential to be beneficial to society once they regain employment.

I simply disagree with the idea that either animals or humans are somehow simply deserving of life simply by being.

So is a person who is on life-support who has no chance of recovery should die? Why must we benefit society? Should all prisoners die too?

Burial wrote:
    aidan23246 wrote:
    To summarise:

1.What does it mean to be human?
    This is a tough one, I'll try to respond to it best I can in awhile.

Not the essence of realiibleness but check Wikipedia. (It's down atm)

All I can see from the description is this "Humans have a highly developed brain, capable of abstract reasoning, language, introspection, and emotion"

I don't think I can come up with a list of what I think being human is.

So is a person who is on life-support who has no chance of recovery should die? Why must we benefit society? Should all prisoners die too?
    Well I think its fair to question the value of maintaining people with no prospects on life-support. It happens everyday of the week and machines are turned off for such reasons by medical professionals for purely clinical reasons or reasons of resources.

I'm not suggesting euthanasia in case you think I'm am, I just saying some people and some animals have no value and it is of little consequence if they die.

As to what this has to do with the debate on hand is simply that just because something is alive doesn't mean we are obliged to maintain state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Who would judge who would be capable?

The same people who judge now.
    I'm not atheist, and I see it as a punishment as your forcing women to do something they don't want to do.

Taking responsibility for your actions isn't punishment.
    We shoudn't "reward" a featus simply because it "survived against the odds". If this was the case, would it have precedent over the womans life?

Would it not be equal to the womans life.
    Yes, but you receive treatment for the broken jaw. Doctors won't let you deal with your own consequences. Even if you wore no protection. You can refuse medical attention, but thats your choice.

Treatment is just assistance (from a trained profession in the case of a doctor) I'm not against people getting assistance in raising their kids
    You believe it's human when the sperm and egg combine. Why then is it a human and not before? What characteristics does it have over an animal? (I'm aware your against animal abortion, but I doubt many people would care if we were talking about a rat or spiders)

Its a human after egg and sperm combine because it contains all the gentic information required to make a human, and assuming nature takes its course, it will make a human.
    This is once again flawed. By this scenario, I could adopt a baby from a poor family in Africa because it'd be "better" for him. People don't have children so they can give them away. Also using your logic, why would people take the children away to orphanage, surely we'll wait and let the children decide? I mean the parents had to endure the child they didn't want for 9 months anyway. another 3 years shouldn't be that much of a problem as it's their "responsibility"

I didn't say anything about a child needing only money for a good upbringing, just because you can give it more money doesn't mean it would have a better upbringing. Also I don't see how my logic implies that you should wait for the child to decide wether or not to send them to an orphanage, for one a child of 3 couldn't make that decision.
    Not true. Most women don't want to relive their experience and don't want others to know that they were violated. Going through a review procedure would be traumatising as having women "prove" that they don't want the rapists child.

But you can't force women to do that. Thats the whole point of my arguement. You can't make people do things they don't want to.

Why not? People are "forced" to do things they don't want to do all the time. You "have" to go to work, you "have" to pay taxes, you "have" to follow laws. I think you are mistaking freedom of choice with freedom of action. Freedom of choice exists, you can make the choice to do whatever you want, but that doesn't mean you get to do it.
    Why? Why should rapists who have been given their sentence not be allowed raise the child? Like a rapist getting 50 hours community service. He is "reformed" and paid for his actions, yet he should never be allowed raise his child? Why? Because of one action he has paid his dues for? Would murderers be allowed raise children? Would thieves? Would people who are to "drunk and disorderly" be allowed raise their own children? Your case only works if the childs life would be in danger.

I don't think a rapist would make a good parent for a child. 50hrs of community service is not a realistic sentence for a rapist.If the childs enviroment is unsuitable for it, a child can be taken from its parents, regardless of wether its life is in immediate danger.
    Well, why would rape have special status over anthing else in this matter? Besides the pregnancy would just remind her of the incident, not to mention she would get a feeling that the baby would have been tainted by the rapist and she'd wish to try again. All I'm saying is that abortion should never be locked up in a country as a "NO". It doesn't make any sense. Your forcing your own beleifs on others, which in this day and age is a joke tbh.

I think you have a pretty unlikely situation there, I don't think a pregnant woman would see her child as being "tainted" by someone who rapes her anymore than she would see the child as being damaged when having sex with her husband.
    Note that I'm not saying that abortion should be all out banned in every country. I just believe it should be avoided whenever possible. While I could also point out that you are just "forcing" your beliefs on others, I'd like to know how I'm actually forcing my own beliefs over the internet, does it onvolve smileys :)?
    I'll take it that there is a high chance of birth defects. How about people more likely to pass on their conditions to their children? Should they be allowed have children? Should they be all sterilised? Adoption is not a solution, neither is sterilisation. I'd like to have my own child not someone elses. I'd also like to be able to concieve and not be forced into sterilisation.

Theres what people like and then theres what people get. Why try and concieve a child if there is a large risk of its life being short and painful due to illness? Assuming I were to adopt a child, I would no longer see it as someone elses, I kinda thought that was the point.
    So, your classifing babies and featus as the same? Does getting older mean we're more "human", or are we all the same? The funny thing is, the baby can move and probably won't figure it out. However, the featus, definatly will die. No questions asked. I'm not saying thats why a baby should live and a featus not.

I'm sure the baby will die too. A newborn can bearly move and is little more than a screaming digestive tract.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

That's complete nonsense. A person's right to live cannot be judged by their usefulness to society, as who could possibly have the right to decide what is 'useful'? Useful to who? To what?
    Well I think its fair to question the value of maintaining people with no prospects on life-support. It happens everyday of the week and machines are turned off for such reasons by medical professionals for purely clinical reasons or reasons of resources

Once someone is clinically brian-dead they don't typically keep them on life-support after that, as the person is effectivel dead anyway. That I agree with.

As to what this has to do with the debate on hand is simply that just because something is alive doesn't mean we are obliged to maintain state.

Yes but that doesn't mean anyone has the right to end a life either. They don't. The issue with abortion is in deciding just what does and doesnt constitute a life, in the value sense of the word. And I mean value to the individual not to society.

If we are to accept that an early stage embryo is nothing more than a potential person, then abortion at that stage seems acceptable. As for a foetus in the later stages of pregnancy I just don't know.

Once someone is clinically brian-dead they don't typically keep them on life-support after that, as the person is effectively dead anyway. That I agree with.
    A person doesn't have to be clinically brain dead to have life support removed. A person or child who for example is severely disabled may be denied treatments which would ordinarily be granted to an able bodied person.

It such cases it can be because it is simply not worth effort maintaining them, they will never advance or get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

A person doesn't have to be clinically brain dead to have life support removed. A person or child who for example is severely disabled may be denied treatments which would ordinarily be granted to an able bodied person.

It such cases it can be because it is simply not worth effort maintaining them, they will never advance or get better

That I agree with too. But in those cases the life support machine or other medical treatment isn't being removed because the person is no longer of any use to the world, it's because their life would no longer be of any value to them, for example in the case of someone who would be profoundly brain damaged or in a vegetative state.

The doctors may then withdraw medical treatment to allow the person to die. It isn't called euthanasia but that's more or less what it amounts to. Personally if I was going to be severely brian damaged I would rather be allowed to die too, and I think it's the prudent thing to do where a person would be so brain impaired as to effectively not even be the person they were anymore.

Advertisement