Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any ideas ?

Options
  • 15-06-2008 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

A few days ago I turned on the xbox only to find a nice red ring (single one in the bottom of the quad) and an error (E 68). So did what anyone would do and just turned it off and on again and it worked grand for the entire day.
    But the following day, and every day since it has not gone away.

E68 is apparently a fault with the hard drive or a connection to the hard drive. So simple test of removing it and trying, answered that as it works perfectly without the hdd ...super.

Console is well out of warranty (launch console), has already had a visit to the xbox holiday home for a 3-red rings, so obviously MS r going to tell me to fu*k off and buy a new one.

Firstly im wondering is there anyway to save my data on it, almost finished GTA4 and dont want to start again and got a good few other game saves that i would prefer NOT to lose. I know its a standard 2.5" SATA laptop HDD in there and could take it out and connect it to a PC, already got the explorer software that allows backups to be made.
    Secondly, has anyone got any ideas on a possible fix that doesnt mean buying the worlds most expensive 20gig hdd in a fancy case ? Already did a good bit of googling and as it doesnt appear to be a common problem so they arnt many solutions.

Also i can hear the hdd spinning so i dont think there is any problem with a connection to it, is it possible that its file system can get corrupted ?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

Error 68 basically means that your hard drive is gone. It happened to my girlfriends brother started off with being unable to save or the profiles going missing and then degraded to that. If you call Xbox support and tell them the error code they will send you a shipping label to have it replaced. Should be free of charge. There is no other way of solving the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 MIM-104

I had the same problem with my 360 after RROD and the HDD was still spinning but the HDD reader was broken

Problem is that microsoft wont replace it for free as the 3 year warranty is its only for the RROD

I really don't know of a cheap fix as replacing the HDD has had different degrees of success

If you dont use Live you can buy a memory card

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

right ive ring them, and although the warrenty is out they said they would still send a new one out! how bad

Advertisement