Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd Year Computer Science Choices

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it depends.

i was interviewed not knowing what department and what job i was even going to be doing. HR were a little slow in telling me (told me after the interview :p)

but i'm working with mysql databases and a database tied into IBM rational clearDDTS. the mysql database would include creating my own schema from scratch but they wouldn't be terribly complex databases a few simple tables with some primary and foreign keys etc. probably a little more complex than what you'd do in databases in college.

i don't think any jobs specifically mentioned databases though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Ok cool, but like you said before you could be given a job in IT support?

Are all the jobs based around the city centre or could you land one in the buisness parks or the down the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Ok cool, but like you said before you could be given a job in IT support?

Are all the jobs based around the city centre or could you land one in the buisness parks or the down the country?

Mostly within the Dublin area I think, but yes and yes. Could potentially be in Galway. But that's only when they are scrapping the bottom of the barrel and you would be one of the last to be placed. One of the business parks would be quite common however.

PS: Nothing wrong with Galway, :p but that's a bit of a travel.

well it's not IT support as such, i'm part of the group who support designers with design issues. so there would be software build guys, software quality guys, config management guys etc here. i wouldn't get any calls/emails to fix a pc or unix machine as such as that's dealt with by hp who are on site.

and although i'm in this design support group i really don't support the design that much, i update old tools and develop new tools.

there were job offers for cisco in new york and another multi national - who's name escapes me now - in china, but that's two jobs out of 40 or so.

New York???? Jaysus I would love to go to America to work. Is there a chance that some places take on a few students so you could end up working with your buddy from college?

Edit -- And Galway wouldnt be that bad I suppose. Would really like somewhere close to home though.....unless its New York.

• Advertisement

afaik the new york placement was for the same company that was in galway and there was no telling where you'd end up, and by the time the offer came in (late january) the majority of people were placed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

It all depends on the company you end up working for. The impression I got was that the last few companys offering jobs were just offering IT Support jobs.

One company took on 4 students i think, not sure if their all working in the same department though.

I'm based in Dublin but i'm working in London at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

orla wrote: »
    It all depends on the company you end up working for. The impression I got was that the last few companys offering jobs were just offering IT Support jobs.

One company took on 4 students i think, not sure if their all working in the same department though.

I'm based in Dublin but i'm working in London at the moment.

hmm so sounds like the best bet would be to go looking for stuff yourself,
    i know i have some contacts at a few companies i would want to work for, if i ended up in IT support i was be bored to death to be honest.

hmm so sounds like the best bet would be to go looking for stuff yourself,
    i know i have some contacts at a few companies i would want to work for, if i ended up in IT support i was be bored to death to be honest.

You can't look for yourself. As previously stated in this thread, Mark Deegan finds the company for you. You can however suggest a company but he will send all CV's to that company not just your own.

I was reading on the course handbook that some students get rejected for work placement, whats that about and what are the conditions why they do?

Also what language does the UI Programming be thought in? Is it C++?

• Advertisement

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    I was reading on the course handbook that some students get rejected for work placement, whats that about and what are the conditions why they do?

Also what language does the UI Programming be thought in? Is it C++?

Do you mean they can't do work placement or they get rejected from a job?

If it's the latter it's because it's like going for any job, if the interview doesn't think your capable for the job they won't hire you.

Otherwise I think that only applies to foreign students regarding visa's etc

UI programming is in Java

also the obvious if you have modules to repeat in the second semester.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

orla wrote: »
    You can't look for yourself. As previously stated in this thread, Mark Deegan finds the company for you. You can however suggest a company but he will send all CV's to that company not just your own.

Well yea i was making the point that i would suggest some companies to Mark Deegan

You mean if you fail something in semester 1 you have to repeat it in semester 2 and therefore cant go on Work Experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

No you can still go on work experience if you fail modules in the 1st semester.

sorry should of made myself clearer, if you have to repeat a subject from semester 2 in second year, you can't go out on workplacement.

Ok cool, thats grand.

Advertisement