Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Predict the most popular import post july?

Options
  • 15-06-2008 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

I was in the VRt office during the week declaring yet another vehicle that had to be done before the july and they were telling me they have never been busier and expect to be mad busy after july with the declaration of cleaner vehicles from the uk etc.

so, got me thinking........what will be the most popular import post july?

Honda Diesel, Bm520d,merc 220cdi....what do you think and what do you hope to import and declare to the nice vrt people yourself maybe?
    :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd say the 320d will be right up there. Unfortunately the new rules don't favour my kind of imports.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Ya the 320d for the 520d... The market will be full, can't wait, i'll get my 02 530d m-sport sooner and cheaper haha:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

I am planning on importing early 2009 - not sure what yet but it will be a "family" 7 seater such as ford smax, galaxy etc

Anyway, would I not be right in saying that to get true benefit of importing I will need to wait till later in year as the car needs to be 1st registered (UK etc) in calendar year 2008, to get reduced road tax, and be over 6 months old to get no VAT?

So logic says that no real benefit straight away until the early 08 2nd hand models appear on the UK forecourts over coming months?

Hope I am not missing something - either way; broke till early next year as moving house this month:D

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

GT-TDi Golf's, Thier all over the place with northern and english reg's still on.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

I am planning on importing early 2009 - not sure what yet but it will be a "family" 7 seater such as ford smax, galaxy etc

Anyway, would I not be right in saying that to get true benefit of importing I will need to wait till later in year as the car needs to be 1st registered (UK etc) in calendar year 2008, to get reduced road tax, and be over 6 months old to get no VAT?

Paddy
    Yep bang on. Interested as to why importing s max or galaxy. Ford same spec here and should have taken a decent depreciation hit.

Posted via Mobile Device

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

speedfreak wrote: »
    Yep bang on. Interested as to why importing s max or galaxy. Ford same spec here and should have taken a decent depreciation hit.

Speedfreak - still nothing decided yet and on initial research there is not massive saving to be made but I will see how things pan out over coming months.

Paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

BMW 520d.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Around about 40% of second hand imports are BMW already, so I'd say this'll continue but with a sway towards diesel, and the 320D in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 2manyturbos

BMW 320D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

BMW 520d.

&
    BMW 320D

&
    JHMEG wrote: »
    Around about 40% of second hand imports are BMW already...

+1 for all the above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Honda's?

Only Honda that'd do well is the diesel Accord. Civic diesel will in time, but probably a bit pricey yet. AFAIK, there are more 3-series sold in Ireland each year than all Hondas put together, so relative to the 320D (and probably 520D) the Accord and Civic will be nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭roughan

might not be a popular import but as far as i can see
    if you have a 2.7 Porsche Boxster now you pay 1147 per year
    on the new system it will fall into the 1000 bracket (222 grams CO2)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

JHMEG wrote: »
    Around about 40% of second hand imports are BMW already

That high already? Any source / link to this would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Homer

roughan wrote: »
    might not be a popular import but as far as i can see
    if you have a 2.7 Porsche Boxster now you pay 1147 per year
    on the new system it will fall into the 1000 bracket (222 grams CO2)

/Nitpick hat on/

It's 1109 for the year on the 2.7! Just taxed it recently for the year...

/Nitpick hat off/

• Registered Users Posts: 23 bones36

just put deposit on audi 2005 a4 2.0tdi avant , coming down from 30 to 24%, i will probably have to appeal the book value as that sould come down, but knowing the revenue, they will be slow to do so, still in the dark about annual road tax, will this be at the new co2 based system or old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

bones36 wrote: »
    just put deposit on audi 2005 a4 2.0tdi avant , coming down from 30 to 24%, i will probably have to appeal the book value as that sould come down, but knowing the revenue, they will be slow to do so, still in the dark about annual road tax, will this be at the new co2 based system or old.

Road tax wil be on old system I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭Soarer

Moanin wrote: »
    Road tax wil be on old system I'm afraid

Which is why I can't see anything over 2ltr in a diesel being a popular import.
    So Honda/Lexus/Merc, nope.
    BMW/VAG, yep!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Hornswoggle

Going on the current trend, id say the 320D...

Have a feeling that Accord imports will pick up too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Question for the BMW droids?

320d or 520d which is the biggest seller?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Ive seen a lot of 06 and 07 high regd mercedes, audi and bmw around. Most of these cars were sold since January. I would probably think that these cars will still be popular after july vrt change.

unkel wrote: »
    That high already? Any source / link to this would be great
    EDIT. Can't find 2007 figures on the CSO site, but BMW was #1 most popular 2nd hand import in 2007 according to one of the papers late last year/early this year.

However I did find the 2006 figures from CSO site. I'd expect 2nd hand Jap imports to all but vanish from July, not least because of difficulty in proving CO2 figures when it comes to VRT.
    Table 1.8 Number of Second-hand (Imported) Private Cars Licensed for the First Time by Most Popular Make, 2006
    Toyota 8,760
    Volkswagen 5,724
    BMW 5,116
    Ford 3,747
    Honda 3,433
    Nissan 3,306
    Audi 3,230
    Mercedes-Benz 3,019
    Vauxhall 2,536
    Peugeot 2,245
    Renault 1,945
    Mitsubishi 1,839