Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

REQ: Cream sausage pasta recipe

• 15-06-2008 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I tried to cook a sausage, cream, tomato and pasta dish for four people tonight but it was way to creamy and didn't have much flavour. Does anyone here have a similar (and easy to make) recipe?

I would appreciate it if you could include the exact amount of ingredients.

Many thanks

PS When should I use sour cream and when should I use whipping cream?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I'd leave the cream out.

Open a 400g tin of chopped tomatoes and decant into a bowl. Stir a scant teaspoon of dark brown sugar into the tomatoes.

Finely dice a medium onion. Allow it to soften in about a tablespoon of olive oil over a medium heat. Choose a 'dinner sausage', the fat ones that come in a packet of six, something like pork and sage. Put the sausages, WHOLE, into the pan and stir with the onion until they take some colour all over. I like to seal them, but not caramelise them.

Then add your tomatoes. Finely chop (or grate) 2-3 large cloves of garlic, to taste, and add those.

I'd then add a large glass of white wine (200ml) and about half the amount of chicken stock (100ml) (if you have it) or water and a tablespoon of tomato puree. Add a good pinch of salt and a shake of black pepper.

Allow this to simmer gently for about 20 minutes until the sausages are cooked. I then like to take the sausages out of the pan with a tongs and cut each one into bite-sized pieces before returning to the sauce.

Before serving, stir through a large handful of chopped fresh basil.

There are really two serving options with this – you can either plate up some cooked pasta and ladle the sauce on top, or try this – take the whole, cooked sausages out of the sauce and keep warm. The sauce should be quite smooth textured. Cook fettucine until ad dente. Add the cooked, strained fettucine to the sauce and use a tongs to mix it with the sauce so the fettucine is well coated. Plate up the sauce-coated fettucine, adding any sauce that’s left in the bottom of the pan. Top the pasta with the sausages – either leave them whole or cut them into pieces, whatever floats your boat.

On the 'cream' front - I think sausages are quite fatty and rich and adding cream is overkill. With pasta, you can use fresh cream in a sauce with chicken and mushrooms, for instance, or bacon (trimmed of fat) and mushrooms. Use sour cream with tomato puree for a stroganoff sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I had planned to make bangers and mash for dinner this evening and this thread caught my eye.

Made the above with red wine instead of white (cos I drank it all!). It turned out really well. Made a big pot of tasty pasta we can have tomorrow too. It was like bolognaise but nicer. Cheap and filling too!

Thanks for the recipe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I think it depends on the sausage really.

I make it with Chorizo - fry some up with garlic & 1 onion. Add a tin of tomatoes and some veg if you want. I usually put 1 red pepper & a can of butter beans in it. Then I add some crème fraiche/sour cream or the like to make it creamy - depending on how creamy you want it. Some fresh rosemary or basil is great in it too. I've never made it with Toulouse sausage, but I'm sure it would work really well.

A loop of dried Chorizo would make enough for 3-4 people. I serve it with pasta, or with some roasted cubes of potatoes (like patatas bravas) and a garlic sour cream dressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Thanks for the detailed response minesajackdaniels. I look forward to giving it a go.

Olaola for your recipe how much cream do you use?

silvine wrote: »

Olaola for your recipe how much cream do you use?

I'd use about 2-3 tablespoons of creme fraiche. If you feel like it's not creamy enough, add more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Chirzo and peppers, onions, tomatoes and garlic, and a coupla spoons of cream! Manys a cheap 15 minute dinner has been produced and ate in my kitchen from thems there ingredients! And I think tonight will be the same! Yummy!

It does taste great... my mouth is watering just thinking of that smell when you add the onions to the frying Chorizo!

BTW - I think it's a great cupboard staple, those loops of chorizo will keep for a good while too.

Advertisement