Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing bootleg with real version of XP

• 15-06-2008 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

my laptop broke down in China and they only did bootleg versions of the English XP there but now that I'm back in Ireland I want to restore it to my legitimate version again, before I begin I was wondering is there I should be aware of? Can one XP pro be "upgraded" to another XP pro?

Also my restore CD is windows XP home and I have a separately bought XP Pro upgrade - they should work perfectly fine right? (I remember something about only being allowed to install 3 times or something...)

I'm just trying to find out the best way to restore my computer to legitimate status :)

Thanks for your advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Simplicity

As far as I am aware you just need to change the license/Serial key. That is what I had to do once before.

Google is your friend.

If you do go over the three times (Like I did with Office 2007 due to reformats) you can just ring MS and they will give you a code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

most cracked versions have custom system files and are prone to failing eventually. to top it off eventually it will stop receiving updates.

just take it on the chin and reinstall, it'll be easier in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I did something similar to this for someone a year or two ago.
    I think if you go to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/ and follow the prompts, you get an option to change your product key.
    There's also a file you can download from microsoft that will let you change your key.
    Once you've changed the key then you will be able to apply updates and service packs which will correct any modified files that the 'bootleg' copy installed.
    Reinstall is the better option but it's not the only option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

^ Thanks a lot for that info - I don't want to have to reinstall all the applications and re-sync my calendar/contacts etc. :)

Advertisement