Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A diesel convert, its just so much better

Options
  • 15-06-2008 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭

So I decided to get my first diesel car after being petrol for 20 years. It is just such a better proposition.

I had a Ford Mondeo 2001 with a 125bhp engine. It was decent enough but not that quick, 10.6s to 60 and did 38mph. It also felt very sluggish when overtaking.

Now I've got a 04 Passat TDI which is a decent bit heavier. It has 3hp extra yet seems so much faster. 0-60 is a second faster but it has buckets more torque and feels much livelier. Also does 50mpg.

So its clear, when its like for like diesel destroys petrol.
    And the passat is a far nicer car as well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Yes, from ONE example(and personal opinion) it's clear that diesel destroys petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I can see an argument gearing up here :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

It was decent enough but not that quick, 10.6s to 60 and did 38mph. It also felt very sluggish when overtaking.
    I'm not surprised that it seemed sluggish when it could only do 38 mph.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

I'm not surprised that it seemed sluggish when it could only do 38 mph.:D
    It didn't do 38mph does about 128mph. You are confusing mpg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I know, I'm only joking. It was a typo in your original post.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Well you're the one who wrote 38mph!

And by the way, the Mondeo is a far nicer car than the passat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Considering that you are a "climate expert" it is a great pity your have completely ignored the considerable ill effects on the environment that paraffin stoves have over petrol.

Your supposedly "greener motor" is allowed to pollute 10 times more PM than a petrol and no less than 6.25 times more Nitrous Oxide than your Mondeo.

And yet there are people out there that claim diesels are better for us:rolleyes:...
    So its clear... diesel destroys petrol.
    Indeed it does. 10 times more likely to kill people with its considerable ill affects on our health. Btw the earth has been cooling down for the past 2 years, so don't tell me about lower CO2(in any event every litre of diesel burned produces 13% more CO2 than every litre of petrol burned) being "better".
    It has 3hp extra yet seems so much faster.

Has anyone here other than JHMEG, Biro and myself grasped the concept of a gearbox, a rev counter and more specifically the red line on the rev counter? Cars have gearboxes for a reason...change up close to the redline in a petrol and then lets see what really is faster.... The key word in that sentence is seems. Perception is one thing, reality is another, and like for like petrol is not slower if you drive one properly, but most people think that because petrols don't deliver power in one big lump at low revs like diesels do and instead have a lovely linear progression as the revs increase that they are somehow slower, when as 0-60 times for like for like petrols and diesels, they're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

peasant wrote: »
    I can see an argument gearing up here :D
    E92 wrote: »

Has anyone here other than JHMEG, Biro and myself grasped the concept of a gearbox, ...

Yepp ...I knew it.

Not again ...not so soon after the last one.

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement