Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absolutely FREAKED for physics!!

Options
  • 15-06-2008 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

yeah, i'm in danger of doing worse than the mocks.. i got a d2 in that... :S!!
    I have studied since obviously,, but if bad questions come up i'll be destroyed..

Any1 else in the same boat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

Physics is my worst subject by a good few grades... Not a chance of it counting but I don't wanna fail :p Got a D1 in the mocks and have done basically no work since.. I just don't get it I suppose.. I'll just try to remember as much as I can.. And I could get decent marks in the experiments if nice ones come up :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭The LeavyC

The thing for me though is, i already do pass irish... so i need to count this. And i do understand it all quite well, i have after all been getting grinds in the institute on saturday mornings ,with the dare i say incredible Pat Doyle.
    Its just i haven't put enough effort in after that. i don't know any of the stuff off like i should... theres so much learning for physics... i never really appreciated how much there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

Why don't you take your finger out of your haras and get ****ing cramming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Stevieo

I can safely say I'm in the same boat....

Although I don't plan on counting physics, I'm already failing applied maths by not turning up to the exam. Two fails and I'm BONED! And I was only planning on expriments, mechanics, electricity and modern...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Calorimeterman

disssco wrote: »
    Why don't you take your finger out of your haras and get ****ing cramming.

I agree fully... I find physics the hardest subject I do, but I've worked at it for the last five days and I think that I'm definitely capable of a B1, if not the a!!!

Just start cramming the basics and you can pull a c out of the hat!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

Never was a truer word said. Many people underestimate the benifits of cramming. I would go so far as to say that cramming is the foundation of most if not all moderate to good grades.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

I wouldnt say im freaked.... But im not going to do that well. i have a basic knowledge of a lot of stuff, but i cant really go into detail on a lot of topics.

So... Yeah, a B1 is pretty much the best i can hope for. But a C1- B3 seems all the more likely.
    Itl be a tossup of which out of this and maths i count...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 conor563

Nobody in the country could be worse then me! I decided I'd take up Physics 2 weeks ago as it will allow me to do Computer Science in UCD on its own, like not in arts. I need 40% in pass. Have learnt 10 of the experiments and some of the main topics which people have told me to do. I have taught myself out of the Rapid Revision book and am going to hope for the best. If I don't get a pass I just can't do the course, if I do, happy days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

The LeavyC wrote: »
    The thing for me though is, i already do pass irish... so i need to count this. And i do understand it all quite well, i have after all been getting grinds in the institute on saturday mornings ,with the dare i say incredible Pat Doyle.Its just i haven't put enough effort in after that. i don't know any of the stuff off like i should... theres so much learning for physics... i never really appreciated how much there is.

He's a ledge...I only went to a few though(got tummy ulcer and hence agoraphobia :S) and ended up dropping to ordinary :eek:Wish I had him as teacher from the start! You may have seen me I was the chap down the very back who looked like he could puke any second on the right side with the other long haired fella...ha

I'm cramming with ordinary now and I fear I still may not do well...got a C2 in a recent paper I did but didnt study since aah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fivetwenty

Shut your complaining.

I'm doing 60 experiments (Mand & Non-Mand) starting now until 3am, then up at 6am to revise Mechanics . . .

If you want it - you'll do it - simple as.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Calorimeterman

conor563 wrote: »
    Nobody in the country could be worse then me! I decided I'd take up Physics 2 weeks ago as it will allow me to do Computer Science in UCD on its own, like not in arts. I need 40% in pass. Have learnt 10 of the experiments and some of the main topics which people have told me to do. I have taught myself out of the Rapid Revision book and am going to hope for the best. If I don't get a pass I just can't do the course, if I do, happy days!

A two week cover of the physics course? That is actually hilarious!!

I hope you do get what you need, but you should have made the decision to do one of the hardest subjects the leaving cert has to offer long ago :p

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

fivetwenty wrote: »
    Shut your complaining.

I'm doing 60 experiments (Mand & Non-Mand) starting now until 3am, then up at 6am to revise Mechanics . . .

I honestly think that that kind of cramming is ridiculous.. Just me? 3am?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Stevieo

And i do understand it all quite well, i have after all been getting grinds in the institute on saturday mornings ,with the dare i say incredible Pat Doyle.
    Incredible is a SERIOUS understatement there mate....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 krlq

lads has anyone got any ideas of any predictions for tomorrow???

• Registered Users Posts: 10 AndyOTea

One of the sonometer experiments is looking likely for section A, as well as the variation of resistance with temperature of a thermistor and a conductor.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Shut your complaining.

Maybe you should just have studied before now?

eoin2nc wrote: »
    Maybe you should just have studied before now?

I have, they should come back easily as it's been about a month since . . .

Stevieo wrote: »
    Incredible is a SERIOUS understatement there mate....

I actually dunno what i was thinking when i wrote that... I'd go through childbirth for that guy, and id do it with a smile on my face. And I'm a guy so i dunno how I'd even get it out... lucky thing theres lotsa physics people here to maybe offer a solution??

anyways, i came back on to say..

From people's experience, does staying up really late studying help? im getting some really good study done since I'm really concentrating, but i don't want to be wrecked in the exam 2mrw...

??????????

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

muffinman wrote: »
    I think it's pretty mad, but then again I could do that if I had the willpower and if I didn't have to draw for 3 hours after physics tomorrow.

It's gonna be a god damn long day. I can't draw when I'm tired, and I need an A1 in tech drawing if I have a flying chance to get 435 points for my course.

I can't cram for longer than about 2 hours in physics. Tomorrow in less than an hour before the exam I'm sure I'll get a glimpse at about half the course. I only need to remember it for a few hours after that.

EVER!

Predictions: capacitance, heat (if not an exp it will be a full section B Q), mechanics exp: boyles law or a proportional to F,a sonometer (sound) exp
    photoelectric effect/x rays, semi conductors, diffraction + interference and basic waves, basic mechanics, n lamda = d sin tetha, know ur option topic (if particle physics, 2nd half), SORTED.

I hope. Guy who teaches in Donegal gimme this, he does this everyyear and hasn't been wrong (he's only teaching about 5 years).

Have a general idea of everything and pick some of that stuff, and you just might get 3 good exps and enough section B Qs.

Get cramming, and good luck!

muffinman wrote: »

Not so - been doing it my whole LC, 3am/6am.

Sleep is overrated - why wont anyone believe me. (It's not like I'm **** either, I want over 500)

Did it for the JC too, it's a tried & tested, proven formula.

*EDIT - TG2 tomorrow also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

I'm truely fudged!!
    i barely get through o/l maths and this physics has me in a bit of a shock.. its the first exam that i'm regarding as hard :(

congo_90 wrote: »
    I'm truely fudged!!
    i barely get through o/l maths and this physics has me in a bit of a shock.. its the first exam that i'm regarding as hard :(

physics isnt mathsy. I'm pritty good at maths so i used to think id be good at physics because of that, but it really doesnt effect physics at all. theres nothing really above OL maths. its all just subbing into formulae that u have to have learnt off.

Also, i made a mug of coffee so i could be awake studying, but literally the thought of drinking it makes me want to vom.. im just gonna smell it for a while then pour it out. lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Not so - been doing it my whole LC, 3am/6am.

Sleep is overrated - why wont anyone believe me. (It's not like I'm **** either, I want over 500)

Did it for the JC too, it's a tried & tested, proven formula.

*EDIT - TG2 tomorrow also.

Some people get better quality of sleep than others , therefore can function on less sleep than others .

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

ah you guys will be fine. I'm going for an A2 tomorow and i got a B3 in the mocks. So you will get better in the LC than in the mocks, unless you cheated your ass off in the mocks. Youll be grand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 archplanner

From people's experience, does staying up really late studying help? im getting some really good study done since I'm really concentrating, but i don't want to be wrecked in the exam 2mrw...

??????????
    Yes, cramming got me through the leaving cert last year. I stayed up all night before my exams, with plenty of red bull in me - no sleep at all. I honestly think some people study better in the cramming phase - we need the pressure to push us. The adrenaline will get you through the exam but you'll be wrecked after. I ended up with a H B2. If your worried about what to study - know your mandatory exps. and definitions and option - easy enough to study and will get you a good few marks. Also if your stuck for an answer on a part of a question waffle it rather than leave it blank - you might pick up some marks for a waffled answer but youll get nothing for a blank - could be the difference between a grade. Good luck and get the caffeine into ye.
    PS. Pat Doyle - Teaching Legend

hope u get it! Looking over the stuff again now its all clicking into place.. hopefully it'll hold there until 2mrw! I've decided against staying up all night... gonna go to bed soon seeing as im starting to get tired, can't drink coffee and theres nothing sugary in the house.. Only 3 to go! then gonna relax soo badly its unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

hope u get it! Looking over the stuff again now its all clicking into place.. hopefully it'll hold there until 2mrw! I've decided against staying up all night... gonna go to bed soon seeing as im starting to get tired, can't drink coffee and theres nothing sugary in the house.. Only 3 to go! then gonna relax soo badly its unreal.
    I messaged you leavyC

sorry hadn't noticed. I'll check now.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

sorry to say this but... 9 hours to go!!!!!!

• Advertisement

you're too kind.....

Advertisement