Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AA Ripped me off!!

Options
  • 15-06-2008 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Just checked my credit card bill today. AA have debited my credit card for renewal on breakdown service, can they do this, as I didnt authorize them to do this, as I had no intention of renewing my membership with them. I didnt receive any notification that they were going to do this.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Just checked my credit card bill today. AA have debited my credit card for renewal on breakdown service, can they do this, as I didnt authorize them to do this, as I had no intention of renewing my membership with them. I didnt receive any notification that they were going to do this.

Try contacting them and asking them about it perhaps before accusing them of ripping you off? It may simply be a mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You authorised them when you signed up the first time, it automatically renews. You should have received a new card about a month before it was due, together with the statement of what was due.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

No, they didnt rip you off. They always renew annually unless you tell them to stop.

I have always found them very good to deal with.

Give them a buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

As the others have said, it renews automatically, but you should definitely have gotten notice about it in the post along with a new card. A quick phone call this morning will have you sorted in no time I'm sure.
    BTW Is there anything else you were expecting in the post that you did not receive? I'd be more worried about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭englander

Happened to me with RAC.

I didn't get any notification of renewal or anything - they just took the money.

Apparently there was a letter sent to me offering other services and also to remind me if I didn't tell them otherwise they would renew.

Not a particularly nice way to do things and shouldn't be allowed.

Can this happen for other services like car insurance also ?

I sorted mine out eventually after a bit of argy bargy and threatening words got a refund (took many weeks though).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

englander wrote: »
    Happened to me with RAC.

I didn't get any notification of renewal or anything - they just took the money.

Apparently there was a letter sent to me offering other services and also to remind me if I didn't tell them otherwise they would renew.

Not a particularly nice way to do things and shouldn't be allowed.

Can this happen for other services like car insurance also ?

I sorted mine out eventually after a bit of argy bargy and threatening words got a refund (took many weeks though).

To be honest, it is fairly standard practice with all forms of insurance. It offers advantages to both the company and the customer. The company benefits because the customer is less likely to leave, while the customer benefits by not accidentally forgetting to renew their insurance! Imagine how pi$$ed off you would be if you paid insurance on your home for 10 years, then forgot to renew, only to have your house burn down to the ground the next day!

However, the insurance company should notify you that the policy is up for renewal to give you a chance to cancel and move to another company. Are you sure they have the correct address for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭timemachine

I received nothing in the post about my membership about to expire. I had not inention at this point in renewing as I have a similar service with Mitsubshi when I bought my new car, so I wouldnt need AA until the mitsubshi thing expires. When that does expire my intention was to go back to AA, but unless they refund me I wont be going back. I tryed to ring today but couldnt get through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I had a similar case with Alliance a number of years ago when they raised my combined commercial insurance policy from 600 to 1100 pounds in one year without notification. I was on direct debit. Two months later I copped it, was like a bull when i discovered that they subtly took it out of my bank account without notification of this increase; I never even made a claim with them. I threatened legal action on the grounds that they should have informed me in writing about the increase. I was refunded the full two months premium without question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

I had a similar case with Alliance a number of years ago when they raised my combined commercial insurance policy from 600 to 1100 pounds in one year without notification. I was on direct debit. Two months later I copped it, was like a bull when i discovered that they subtly took it out of my bank account without notification of this increase; I never even made a claim with them. I threatened legal action on the grounds that they should have informed me in writing about the increase. I was refunded the full two months premium without question.

Well that was definitely wrong on their behalf. Whatever about not notifying you about each individual payment, I do know that under the Direct Debit Scheme, they must notify you if they change the amount they are taking out of your account. The only difference to this is variable rate loans and mortgages etc, whereby the bank must publish the figures in at least 1 national paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

I have a similar service with Mitsubshi when I bought my new car, so I wouldnt need AA until the mitsubshi thing expires. When that does expire my intention was to go back to AA

AA operate most of the manufacturer breakdown services in Ireland such as VW/Audi/Skoda/Opel/Renault/Ford so they probably do the mitsubishi scheme aswell.

Just ring them up and they'll either freeze your membership until the mitsubishi cover expires or might sort you out with a refund (it's in the fine print on the application form that they will automatically renew your cover unless you advise them not to)

• Advertisement
Advertisement