Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dont laugh - genuine question !

Options
  • 16-06-2008 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭

I bought an 04 diesel transit connect this week. When I went to start it up, the seller told me I didnt need to wait for the glow plug light to go out as is was "direct injection"

Was he taking the p or is this something new I dont know about.

Thanks in advance

Jeff

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Don't know a whole lot about it but I know plenty of people driving diesels that don't wait.

It pre-heats the cylinder to give better ignition from cold so maybe it's only something to use on a very cold morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I'm not sure if its because of direct in jection. But I haven't had to wait for the orange coil to go out since i had a sherpa :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Fiat's Multijet engines don't even heat the glowplugs unless it's below 5 degrees C out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Afaik, most diesels moved to direct injection long before '04. It's a totally separate issue to glow plugs solving a totally different fuelling characteristic.

Also, I would think that if you didn't have to wait for the glow plugs, they wouldn't bother putting a glow plug light on the dash....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

you wait when its cold.......in the morning perhaps.
    but when its warm after running and your re-starting it, crank away!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

I don't have to wait for my Ducato.... they are very quick.

Also, some cars have had a system where the glow plugs turn on when the drivers door opens so they are done by the time you put the key in.

If it starts without waiting then there is no problem.

Advertisement