Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can you guards speed guns catch you when it's dark

Options
  • 16-06-2008 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Or is it just that the cops will never be out at night checking?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Garda guns use infrared beams to point at your car... short answer.. yup yer caught sunshine if you're speeding.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Yep, they work in the dark.

I've seen plenty of speed traps at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

the fixed gatsos work at night as they get the rear of your car( i have seen them flash at night). The mobile van mounted gatso needs to take a photo, as it takes the front of your car, I doubt they would fire a flash at you in the night and blind you temporarily. The tripod mounted ones may be different, if it was very dark they may not be able to target your car. This is all guess work though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

stratos wrote: »
    the fixed gatsos work at night as they get the rear of your car( i have seen them flash at night). The mobile van mounted gatso needs to take a photo, as it takes the front of your car, I doubt they would fire a flash at you in the night and blind you temporarily. The tripod mounted ones may be different, if it was very dark they may not be able to target your car. This is all guess work though.
    They only need to get the number plate and they can use IR flash for this without being visible - dont know if they do though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

My source says 'yes' on this one and they're also considering being more strict about the limit at night time, given the significantly increased risk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭bottletops

congo_90 wrote: »
    Garda guns use infrared beams to point at your car... short answer.. yup yer caught sunshine if you're speeding.

Drive with your lights off!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

its actually easier to clock a car at night although photo laser isn't much use and generally not used

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I don't an ir flash is feasible as i don't think the van mounted gatso cameras work in the ir range.
    If they did the heat from the road or your engine grill would flare them out.
    Even if they did the characters on the reg plate would be the same temperature as the background so they wouldn't stick out, the entire plate juat appearing as a uniform coloured rectangle.
    Though what do I know ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

congo_90 wrote: »
    They use radio frequencies; doppler shift radars.

stratos wrote: »
    I don't an ir flash is feasible as i don't think the van mounted gatso cameras work in the ir range.
    If they did the heat from the road or your engine grill would flare them out.
    Even if they did the characters on the reg plate would be the same temperature as the background so they wouldn't stick out, the entire plate juat appearing as a uniform coloured rectangle.
    Though what do I know ?

I don't know for sure either. Ever used a camcorder in 'night vision' mode, number plates stand out pretty well - these cameras use IR illumination.

You're thinking of FLIR cameras which just measure temperature, different beasts altogether.

They gave up on radar, it's all laser based now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

not much anymore man. its nearly all laser now and this should explain the difference............

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question396.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

D_murph wrote: »
    not much anymore man. its nearly all laser now and this should explain the difference............

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question396.htm

Excellent explanation +1. Op are you worried you were caught speeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I saw them on the N3 outside Blanch there in the dark last winter at 8pm pulling people over.

Advertisement