Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I oiled the hop up on my sniper rifle ? Was this a bad thing ?

Options
  • 16-06-2008 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Was it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

When you say oil, what type of oil did you use?

It was actually a bad idea, I'm just trying to asses how bad...
    If it was silicon oil, I'd just remove it, carefully clean it the rubber and replace it. If it was anything but silicon oil, unless you clean it off pretty quick-snap I'd say you're as well off just tossing it and getting a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

it was silicon oil

do you mean remove the rubber and clean it ?

or clean the whole hop up system ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭little buda

its best to clean the lot while your there, some of the oil hangs around for ages:rolleyes: (i went a bit nuts with the silicone oil one day when i was a noobie)never again i tell ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

You really want to keep the hop itself lubrication free, it's whole principle of operation relies on the friction built up between a dry hop rubber and the bb. Adding silicone oil will dramatically reduce that friction, giving your hop little to no effect on the backspin of the bb as it passes by. It's just about the one place on the rifle you shouldn't oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Depending on how much you oiled it, you can just run a few mags worth of BBs through it to clean it out, with the hopup turned on, you'll see the BBs are dropping while there is still oil on the hopup, once the oil starts to come off, BBs will start to fly straighter again, if they start to curve upwards then the hopup is on too much.

When you've done that, you'll likely have a fair bit of oil in the barrel, you'll want to turn your hopup all the way off and clean the barrel with a cleaning rod and some strips of cloth.

Moved to troubleshooting

Edit: Just noticed it's a sniper rifle, no full auto, you'd be there all day running BBs through it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

dismantle the gun and dry the hop and barrel.

All that oil will attract dust too, and end up as grime.

Advertisement