Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Confused second-hand moped buyer

• 16-06-2008 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

Decided I'm buying a moped, and found a nifty looking little whizzer in a dealer's in West Dublin. The moped is an '06, and Quinn Direct didn't have the model on their books to give me a quote. The dealer said it was imported - would this have any affect on insurance quote?

Also, as it's imported, would this mean there is no service history? How would I know it hasn't been in a crash etc?

Any other advice on what I should be asking for about a second-hand moped, as this is my first bike??

Would also be interested to know if anyone can recommend good places that I might get a modestly priced bike? And, would a 50cc do the job? I saw a brand new 50cc Yamaha neo's priced the same as a brand new Suzuki 125 - shouldn't the 125 be more expensive?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

I drove a moped for a few years.A nice one you could get is a yamaha aerox,they can be derestricted and then they are quite fast.

This one you are looking at is a dodgy buy imo,it will be hard to get parts for and hard to insure.My advice would be to stay away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Would you advise going for a 50cc? Not looking to spend anything over 1200 second hand, but don't want it to be too old. Is it difficult to de-restrict?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Anything over 50cc and you need an A1/A license and not an M (which is included on some B licenses)

For the cc it really depends on your age, if you're under 20 the insurance will be a lot even on a 50cc, and even offputting on a 125.

A 125 is a little better for keeping up with traffic than a 50cc, they also weight more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

What is the make and model of the bike you were looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

BrynW wrote: »
    What is the make and model of the bike you were looking at?

it's a yamaha axis 100cc, or a honda lead 100cc.

In 2 minds about whether to go for a 50cc maybe if i can get one for about 1000euro

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Honda Lead 100cc is a quality bike!
    I got one in January and it seems to be a big seller, there are loads around.

I had a 50cc Peugeot Vivacity for two years before that and while 50cc is grand for city driving, I think it's much better to have 100cc so you can handle the many 80km/h roads around and not get pushed to the gutter :mad:. Defensive driving ftw!

You can buy a Honda Lead for €2,000. What's your budget?

Advertisement