Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RROD on modded console

• 16-06-2008 1:24am

Hey guys

I have 2 xbox's , i have my elete that i play most and my other xbox that was modded .
    I switched on my modded console that i didnt use in about 7 months . All was fine. So i attached my HArddrive from my other console so i could use the save feature from a game.

I actually asked this question before on boards switching the hard drive, would it effect my consoles and i was told all was fine.

So i attached the hard drive and it asked me to update . I updated and BAM RROD .

Is there anything i can do to fix this ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

you can do the xclamp fix works great for most people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,192 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Did you get the 3 rings or just one ring?

If your console was modded ages ago an update could have effected it. Thats what would give the one ring. It can be repaired though.

If it is the 3 rings your going to have to the x-clamp or something. Where abouts are you based?

ITs the 3 red rings . I was looking at the xclamp, do i just take it off ?

I attempted it last night, but its a pain tring to get those little screws .

You have to take the xclamps off, but you need to replace them with machine screws and washers.

Ah Ok , i will see if i can do that. AS i said i tried to last night but the little screws are so hard to actually unscrew. I have blisters on my thumbs and still no movment.

The one thing about the 3 red lights is it possible it cant be fixed ? Are there any tell tail signs it cant be fixed ?

• Advertisement

Yeah there is, one tell tale sign thats it not the usual rrod is the fans not turning on, thats more than likely caused by a short on the board (which is usually caused by bent metal casing due to people doing the xclamp :p)

Try the power supply off your other xbox just to rule that out

Which screws are you struggling with? the ones holding on the xclamps? , do you have the clamps taking off yet?

yeah its the little screws holding he clamps, i managed one of them !! The other are not working . i am going to drop into a shop at lunch and see if i can buy the washers . Do you know what sizes i would need ?

there 5 x 15s i think, its been a while since i bought them. The CPU can take basically any length, but the GPU one needs to be 15 or less.

Forget about unscrewing them, get a small long nose pliers and bend the ends of the X to get them off.

great , thanks for your help . Fingers crossed it works .

I tried again and i was unable to get those screws out . IS there anywere in dublin that repairs them ?

• Advertisement

Is it the black ones at the bottom of the metal housing? They flew out for me? I used a T9 screwdriver (i think, could have been T8) that i got in a precision screw driver set from B&Q

If its the things that hold the clamp on (not really screws) dont be afraind to bend the xclamps, you'll just be throwing them away anyways!

EDIT: This set

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Hey if you are still stuck i can help you out im in dublin on the northside

Advertisement