Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Network, Nokia E51 and Windows Live Messenger

• 16-06-2008 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

Basically, I got an E51 from meteor, sim free, for upgrading, but i still like my old handset so im still using it. However i recently purchased 3's prepay mobile broadband.

So i have a mobile broadband sim and a phone that's all about using the internet on the go. It didnt take me long to put the two of them together and trust me, the results so far have been pretty damn cool.

Except......

3 are real sticklers about you using any mobile on their network that they did not directly sell you, which to me seems like a company that doesnt wanna make money. (Truth be told 3 aren't in it for the money, which usually would come as a breath of fresh air but in this instance is a pain.)

I'm an avid user of MSN, or atleast i was until my life got painfully busy and i couldnt carry on twelve hour conversations with friends all over the world. I thought with this high tech phone and its extremely high tech simcard things would be different.

Basically if anyone can tell me where i can download windows live messenger for mobiles, for free and wont land me with a trojan i'd be really appreciative. Also, if anyone can tell me how to access planet3 from my e51 so i could download msn from there that would be equally cool.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Does it have to be a Windows Live Messenger port specifically? Because I believe you can only get that on the horrendous Windows Mobile platform based phones...

Try Fring (http://www.fring.com) - It's totally free. It touts itself as a VOIP tool, but I (and my colleague) use it all the time for GoogleTalk, MSN & AIM when on the bus to work, onsite visits, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

You should try calling customer care. It not being a 3 phone should not cause a problem as they now sell sim only packs. Once its a 3g phone just get the settings for planet 3 off them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

where can u download the windows live messenger client from planet 3?cant seem to find it for the life of me. for an e71 on 3 ireland. cheers.

skype working great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Unfortunately the MSN Meseenger link seems to be hardcoded into their firmware you get with the phones they "support" it on. They made me buy a phone recently to join them, so I got the k770 as it was the cheapest SE they had. I had no intention of using it as I have a W705 which I use.

Now, the link to download MSN is there where the "Internet" menu icon is on SE's factory firmware. So I followed that and downloaded MSN no problem on the k770. I looked for the link somewhere on 3's webpage myself and couldn't find it, so had a brainwave and sent the link as a text to my still active Meteor number on W705, hinking I'd be smart and get around it that way. Tried the link there but it wouldn't work, so put the 3 sim in and tried it again, link worked this time but I got a lovely message telling me that the MSN App wasn't supported on my handset at this time and got to "register your interest" for some time in the future when it will be compatible and they will let me know.

So if the website has the MSN icon below the picture of your phone (given that they sell that model) then the link should work, otherwise you'll have to register your interest and wait... PM me if ya like and I'll text on the link to anyone that wants it to check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Spipov wrote: »
    where can u download the windows live messenger client from planet 3?cant seem to find it for the life of me. for an e71 on 3 ireland. cheers.

skype working great

im not sure if this link still works, try it from your phone

http://mobile.3ireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

i found the link on planet 3>services>internet>messenger

however i keep getting a certificate error, contact your supplier.

ive managed to dig around the phone and came up with this jad file.

anybody knows how to get this thing working on a nokia s60?

Advertisement