Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solid fuel boiler in tandem with oil boiler?

Options
  • 16-06-2008 1:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Hi all

Thinking of adding a solid fuel boiler to work alongside an existing oil boiler considering the rising cost of oil.

Has anybody done this already and what type of controls do you use? I have zoned heating so I need to know how to control it especially when running on solid fuel as it goes out after a while.

Would it make sense to hook the solid fuel boiler to a tank and heat that? Then take the hot water from that to the house? And back it up with oil? So if the solid fuel boiler can be used to heat the tank the oil would need to be used less... I suppose the advantage of that is that the control for the boiler can be transferred to a pump to just pump the heat to the house. The boiler can be wired standalone via thermostats to just heat the tank as needed. Maybe firing it at night if the solid wood burned has failed to heat it to the required level.

What type of temperature would be needed in the tank? The oil boiler is currently in the shed so adding a large tank is possible as there is room. What type of solid fuel burner could generate the required heat? Would a standard wood stove suffice?

Can anyone shed some insights to heating in this way? Would like to invest in something like this as oil looks like it's not the fuel of the future...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Your existing system is probably sealed ,you cannot seal a system with a back boiler.
    There are a few important things you need to do
    It can be akward enough to do it properly ,I've installed systems like this myself along with gravity fed indirect hot water which means the water heats without the need for even a pump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 dellboy

Hi 311

My current heating system in the shed about 30m from the house. Can I do a gravity feed that far? Plus, would I need the buffer tank? I'm sure I would. I cannot automate the burning in the solid fuel stove so is there an easy way to plumb this?

Theres no way of knowing the best way you should do the job ,without actually seeing your house.
    I'm sure a plumber would go through things with you ,give you an idea what you can/can't do. If your thinking of doing it all on your own ,I wouldn't advise it. There are a good few things that need to be done and there all part of the finished job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

Looking to do the same thing. We have a pressurised system but want to add a backbolier stove as we have the fire on lot during the winter.

311 if you are a plumber & near Galway PM me.

sorry I'm based in dublin :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mechman

hi dellboy and pencil, you will have to have an open system for a back boiler, with a second coil in your hot water cylinder in the hot press,and you will need a feed and expansion tank in the attic, you will not be able to gravity feed from 30 meters down your back garden as pipes would have to be rising at all times, i dont understand what you mean when you talk about buffer vessels and tanks in you shed to store hot water, i have never seen or heard of this on a heating system before, buffer vessels are normally only used on large scale industrial projects and normally only on chilled water. it sounds pointless and uneconomical to heat a large amount of water that does nothing unless i am misunderstanding what you are talking about

mechman wrote: »
    you will not be able to gravity feed from 30 meters down your back garden as pipes would have to be rising at all times,

I was the only one who mentioned gravity feeding the hot water and I never mentioned putting a back boiler in the garage.:rolleyes:

Gravity feeding the hot water is perfect for a back boiler as there is no need for any electricity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mechman

i agree with you 311, the cylinder must be gravity fed or else the whole system becomes dangerous, but its not much good for heating the rads in the house as dellboy wants to do, especially the downstairs rads, they have to be pumped and i still dont understand about heating this tank in the shed maybe you could give me your read on it:confused:

mechman wrote: »
    i agree with you 311, the cylinder must be gravity fed or else the whole system becomes dangerous, but its not much good for heating the rads in the house as dellboy wants to do, especially the downstairs rads, they have to be pumped and i still dont understand about heating this tank in the shed maybe you could give me your read on it:confused:

Back boilers come with two flows and returns ,you isolate the heating side when the primary circuit is on.

Advertisement