Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloomsday cult...

Options
  • 16-06-2008 1:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Those Joyceans have gone too far this time!

Ahem... anyway, with the day that's in it, anyone round here label themselves a Joycean?

Anyone round here actually read Ulysses without giving up halfway through? Be honest! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

Wouldn't call myself a Joycean, but I did manage to read the whole book a few years ago. Found some of the sections to be fantastic and others barely readable. Thimk you really need good English, French, Latin and Greek to really enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I suppose I'm a Joycean in that I've more books about Joyce and his book than anything else but I've never done the Bloomsday thing (and didn't even realise it was today). Gone through Ulysses thrice and The Wake twice but refuse to dress up in Edwardian dress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Man what nuts. Its mostly upper middle class fools with more money than sense (see norris for example) they could easily charge for entry or whatever and keep it going themselves. The idea of a group of "scholars" setting fire to books is just too twisted for words. Storm the pub I say.

Btw, I read about half of Ulysses but I had other books to read for final year and had to stop. haven't tried to re-read it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

That was actually quite funny. I normally don't like gubuwire's spoofs very much.

Back in the real world, I'm not overly fond of Bloomsday. It somehow seems to be less and less about the actual book. Apart from encouraging women to wear bloomers (eh, we all have our special interests) I can't be bothered with it. I did enjoy Ulysses, though I haven't read it in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

read about 250 pages of it and just ...stopped
    I was actually enjoying it but I needed a break and might get around to finishing it someday.
    Loved his short stories Dubliners though.
    Portrait.. was ok until the hellfire section when it just got tedious.
    Joyce was a very interesting character though, love reading about the guy.

re the article above
    what a load of tossers, Joyce would detest these people

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

Read the entire novel through for college and really enjoyed it. We had a Joyce day in col and everyone dressed up. I wore an inside out man costume, claiming it was a representation of fragmented Joycean bodies.

Never criticise something you don't understand. Dangerous grounds :p

Advertisement