Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dodgey email to class list

• 16-06-2008 1:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭

Got this email today form dcu apparently!!!!!!!:

Dear DCU.IE Email Account Owner,

This message is from dcu.ie messaging
    center to all dcu.ie emailaccount owners.
    We are currently upgrading our data base and
    e-mail account center. We are deleting
    all unused email account to create space
    for new accounts.To prevent your account
    from being deactivated you will have to
    update it.

CONFIRM YOUR EMAIL ACCOUNT
    Email Username : ...............
    Email Password : ..............
    Date of Birth : ..................
    Country or Territory : .........
    Warning!!! Account owner that refuses to update
    his or her account within Seven days of receiving
    this email will lose his or her account
    permanently. Thank you for using dcu.ie!
    Warning Code:USV64MT1

Thanks,
    DCU.IE WEBMAIL Team
    DCU.IE Beta

-Sounds like the biggest load of **** ever and anyone who replies is an idiot id say. im pretty sure we were told we get that email address for life and there is **** all you can store on it anyway so i doubt the want to free you space. dcu dont seem quick to warn people about this scam though.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Yea, its a trap.

Dont reply or do anything with it. DCU will never ask for your username or password via email, its a terribly insecure way of doing things. Report it to CSD if you are worried about it, but I think a few other people may have got similar spam the other month too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

Well I fell for it. In America on a J1 and needed to keep it open to see if post grad offers were coming in and when i got them email i panicked. Now my account wont open. Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

Send an email to CSD helpdesk@dcu.ie telling them exactly what happened right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

Brow wrote: »
    Well I fell for it. In America on a J1 and needed to keep it open to see if post grad offers were coming in and when i got them email i panicked. Now my account wont open. Any advice?

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

oh wow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Not only are all americans stupid but apparently when you go and work there for a summer you catch it too :D

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Not only are all americans stupid but apparently when you go and work there for a summer you catch it too :D

(Colt 45 alcohol at $2 per 40oz) * 4 + early morning = my situation

Anyway good old CSD worked it all out. Nothing happened. They were on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

ANY email that asks you for a password in it is at best highly suspicious. General rule of thumb.
    Kippy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

You're waiting on a business postgrad right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭public_enemy

Yea, its a trap.

ackbar.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Your in america? well did you know your credit card expires after 1 month when you go there. If you give me your credit card details ill stop it from deactivating!!!! throw in your bank details and send me your car keys while your at it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Defenestrate

Well I fell for it.

picard-facepalm

picard-facepalm

Maybe write it again minus any abuse?

Looking back on it, thats how i feel.... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Off topic spam and flames have been deleted. adamski8, your posts were deleted for that very reason as per the forum charter.

As for the OP, as Kippy said any email asking you for your password should always be ignored, its a general rule of thumb really.

Advertisement