Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mini Cooper Vs BMW Series One

Options
  • 16-06-2008 7:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Need advice as I am completely torn over this, looking to buy a car and totally fell in love with a BMW 116i but for 8 grand cheaper I can get a Mini Cooper. I drive long distances, often through little country roads and want a car that is going to last me at least 5 years, is very safe and handles the road well – should I bite the bullet and take out the extra loan . . . . . any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

If you didn't drive long distances the no question the Mini, but as you drive long distances then BMW would make more sense with a bit more comfort, better ride quality and more space.

Now get ready, as you are going to get lots of suggestions as to why you shouldn't buy either! With prices falling there are going to be a lot of price reductions all over the place, especially in the second hand market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

MJ3 wrote: »
    totally fell in love with a BMW 116i but for 8 grand cheaper I can get a Mini Cooper. I drive long distances, often through little country roads and want a car that is going to last me at least 5 years, is very safe and handles the road well – should I bite the bullet and take out the extra loan . . . . . any advice?

If I was a girl, I'd pick the Mini out of these two. It's cute, small but powerful enough for the open road, and good to drive. The BMW is ugly, no quicker and not that much bigger. A more premium-feeling cabin, I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Neither one is really designed for long distance driving. However, to answer your question, though not a fan of the Mini, that's what I'd recommend. I never could see the point in the 1 series, and eight grand is eight grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I was going to post a query on a Mini so may as well do here as you are discussing them

whats the basic difference between a Mini One and a Mini Cooper

on topic:

I wouold go for Mini over 1 series, don't get the 1 series at all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Mini - I think you'll buy and run the mini cheaper and it will be more enjoyable to own.

While I like the 1 series the 116 is a bit puny and the ride is not supposed to be very good ( this is not from personal experience though its car magazine regurge ).

You sell the mini on easier too I reckon.

• Advertisement

Riskymove wrote: »
    whats the basic difference between a Mini One and a Mini Cooper

The One is a 95 hp 1.4, the Cooper is a 120 hp 1.6, and the Cooper S is a 1.6 turbo with 175 hp. The engines are shared with Peugeot/Citroen.

On the previous model, Minis all use the a crappier 1.6 with different outputs (and a supercharger in the S).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

The Mini would certainly be easier to sell on down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

MJ3 wrote: »
    Need advice as I am completely torn over this, looking to buy a car and totally fell in love with a BMW 116i but for 8 grand cheaper I can get a Mini Cooper. I drive long distances, often through little country roads and want a car that is going to last me at least 5 years, is very safe and handles the road well – should I bite the bullet and take out the extra loan . . . . . any advice?

In defence of the 116i, its not a hot hatch but it is economical and it holds the road very well. Its RWD and probably one of the few hatchbacks that can beat the Mini in this respect. The suspension set up is quite hard tho so this could be wearing over high miles. Both cars are cramped in the back with the mini being very poor in this respect.

Why these cars alone, why not buy a Golf GTi/TSi. These would be bigger inside, with good roadholding (esp. GTi) and excellent engines. They look great in the right colours with the right wheels.

The TSi is quite economical and there are a few demo models around now from dealers for ~27k.

In a nutshell, try other dealerships than BMW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 JohnW

Speaking as somebody who has driven both (currrent own 116) I think that it basically comes down to what you need the car for.
    If it is only you and a passenger, then the Mini would be more fun, it seems quicker than the BMW and will always bring a smile to your face :D
    Down side is that it has no room in the back, 2 doors and virtually no boot.
    The 116 has slightly more space in the back but has the advantage of the rear doors and a boot that you can use!
    The 116 still brings a smile to your face if you like driving, and the RWD is much nicer than FWD.
    As for travelling long distance, I have driven from Dublin to Killarney twice a week in the 116 and had no problems with comfort. The ride is a bit stiff but when you drive hard into a corner or on twisty roads, the handling makes the stiff ride worth it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 kjk1981

Hi Guys,

I was discussing the mini with a froiend who's thinking of getting one. Can anyone tell me what they are like on petrol? Are they fuel efficient? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭cbyrne

I agree with JohnW, I too have driven both for sometime and while I liked the Mini the BMW is defo a much more comfortable car and feels a lot more solid. My 116 can be sluggish at times particularly going up a slip road but 'feels' better to drive than the mini. Interior wise the Mini is defo a lot cooler and alternative looking but despite fact its made by BMW I don't think the quality is up there with the interior of the 1 series (mind you mine was a first genertion mini). Plus the 1 series looks and feels like its bigger brothers inside. Make sure you go for a SE on the 1 series though.

cbyrne wrote: »
    Make sure you go for a SE on the 1 series though.

You may be right, resale and all that, but it takes the difference out to €10K.

If the OP doesn't actually need a slightly bigger small car, €10K is a lot extra to borrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

If you are a driver and want a drivers car (excellent handling, great power for its size and weight... its prob half the weight of the one series).. then go for the mini.
    The biggest reason i can see to go for the bmw 1 series is the boot. RWD is not much benefit over a mini. In fact having driven both the mini has far superior handling and feels much more balanced. Its wheels are right in the arches of the four corners so it handles as if on rails. Both are 1.6 engins but the power to weight for the mini makes it a much quicker machine.
    Were i you, i would go for a the 1.6 cooper d. 70+ MPG, 100 a year road tax and a fantastic resale value. As for which feels more 'expensive ' inside ... thats up to your budget. You can get cheap and nasty looking interiors in bmw's just as easily as a mini. Both will cost you to get chrome kits etc.. inside which make both feel much more upmarket. Basically what your budget will allow.
    On a long distance the new mini is very comfortable.. particularly with the sport leather seats (a worthwhile upgrade IMHO).

Best of luck with your choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Long distance driving suggests a diesel engine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

The one series is such an awful looking car and not worth the money at all. Out of the two go for the mini hands down

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭MJ3

Just want to thank everyone for their advice!! I found it all extremely helpful. In the end I went with the Mini, although I love the "one" I couldn't justify the cost, not when the Mini got such great feedback. :)

Advertisement