Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lurcher a dangerous dog??

Options
  • 16-06-2008 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭

Well went to the park on Sunday and was refused entry As my lurcher has to be muzzled as it is on the Dublin corporations dangerous dogs list. :eek:.
    Now I cant see lurchers listed on this list but said offical was not for moving and called the Gardai when I questioned him. What the F**k is going on with Dublin Corpo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Its not on the list, but could be a danger to rabbits!! the person that stopped you is a moron..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

Well went to the park on Sunday and was refused entry As my lurcher has to be muzzled as it is on the Dublin corporations dangerous dogs list. :eek:.
    Now I cant see lurchers listed on this list but said offical was not for moving and called the Gardai when I questioned him. What the F**k is going on with Dublin Corpo.
    nonsense. was the lurcher a bull x? maybe it looked bullish, but still thats bollox. i'd say you just met one of them types that once they have a little bit of power it goes to their head. get his name and report him to the corpo. next time let him call the gaurds and make a complaint, be sure he's licensed though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

What cross is your dog? The list includes crosses including any of the ones on the list. Perhaps it looks like it has german shepherd in the mix?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

He is a collie cross, and the offical refused to give his name or staff number so he could be identified. Moron in a uniform about sums it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

He is a collie cross, and the offical refused to give his name or staff number so he could be identified. Moron in a uniform about sums it up.

Cross with what?

I'm amazed there was a City worker out on a Sunday! I think he has to prove his identity to enforce his authority. But I bet you could find out from Parks dept who he is.

• Advertisement

Sorry its a greyhound collie cross, I agree I thought he would be obliged to provide ID, he was uniformed and was getting replies from his radio. I have complained to the corpo but dont expect much joy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

If a lurcher is on the dangerous dogs list, then so should my granny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

a collie x then he hasnt a leg to stand on. report him anyway. this is what happens when you give some people a uniform and radio,think they're the law, a-hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Well, if this was the Phoenix Park then they have a rule that greyhounds must be muzzled. Its in their bye-laws somewhere. I presume it applies to lurcher too, as they are crosses. As a lurcher owner I find it absolutely infuriating. As this rule applies to the Phoenix Park I presume it applies to all DCC parks. I for one won't be going to any of their parks as I refuse to muzzle my lurcher as he doesn't need it and they aren't on the dangerous dog's list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

maybe a rally would be an option to this stupid park law.
    yes the lurcher or greyhound is not on the list for muzzles.
    Round up a club of greyhound or lurchers owners through the parks and see what the outcome be.
    Imo nothing can be done!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KhuntChops

I understand where you are coming from 100%

Perhaps it has also helped you see into the lifes of those whose beloved pets are on the so called "dangerous breeds list" and refuse to muzzle there beautiful social friendly dog.

KC, I have always believed that the dangerous dogs list was too sweeping and didn't consider the careful responsible owners.
    That can be seen by the Corpos back tracking in regards to them on their housing.
    The bye-laws for the phoenix park is done by the OPW and I know it is illegal to hunt with dogs in the phoenix park but it makes no mention of greyhounds - lurchers or whippets as pets having to be muzzled.
    There is a law somewhere that greyhounds used for racing or coursing should be muzzled.

Frankly I feel this was an little inferior man given a uniform and a little power of going to his head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

AFAIK, the only laws pertaining to greyhounds in the ROI are 1) No more than 4 can be walked together by one person, and 2) they must be on lead in public areas. There is no law stating that greyhounds, racing / pet / coursing or otherwise must be muzzled. How could you tell anyway? (No Mr. Dog Warden, I swear he's a pet?).
    In the North, though, they must be muzzled in public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Ruby Soho wrote: »
    AFAIK, the only laws pertaining to greyhounds in the ROI are 1) No more than 4 can be walked together by one person, and 2) they must be on lead in public areas. There is no law stating that greyhounds, racing / pet / coursing or otherwise must be muzzled. How could you tell anyway? (No Mr. Dog Warden, I swear he's a pet?).
    In the North, though, they must be muzzled in public.

I'm glad to have found this forum I have a grey hound I rescued form travelers five months ago(I know he's been coursed) is their any other laws on them you know of before I meet b******t in a uniform. He is so gentle and been through enough with out being muzzled I keep him on harness and lead and color and lead as he is so strong and has broken two leads already. Just to go play ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

A small point, but one an offical should be familiar with.

We DON'T HAVE A DANGEROUS DOGS LIST. We do unfortunetly have a RESTRICTED BREEDS LIST.

And even had your dog been on that list, once you comply with all the rules the offical had no business restricting you access to the park.

Advertisement