Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet training in creche

Options
  • 16-06-2008 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

While speaking to my son (3.5Yrs) he announced that he would not be doing his "poos" in the creche anymore. He has been toilet trained since January and has never had an accident.

When I questioned him about his decision, he told me that one of the staff members said that he was old enough to wipe his own bum and she would not be helping him anymore. We have had issues in the past where he has come home with a dirty and sore bum after trying to wipe himself but we assumed that he had just gone to the toilet without anybody in the creche noticing.

Now, I don't know many 3.5Year olds but my own son, while he would make a good attempt at wiping, he would not yet be able to do it properly. He does need assistance and he asks for and gets assistance at home.

When I rang the creche today to ask about the issue I was told that there was Health Board directives about attending to children in the toilet and that staff were not allowed to enter the toilet with a child unless the child asked for assistance.

My lad must have asked for and was refused assistance (to get the story he told me) but besides that, can anyone confirm that the above is true? Are crech staff not allowed into a toilet with the child? Surely there is a stage between toilet training and becomeing independant that the child will need assistance?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Get him some wipes and work on teaching him the skills he needs at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Get him some wipes and work on teaching him the skills he needs at home.

And in the meantime......?

Sorry, I might not have made it clear but at home we are teaching him, he gets assistance but he does it himself. He just does not do a very good job of it yet. He still need supervision and help which he was refused in the creche leading him to announce that he would prefer to hold his "poo" for 9 hours rather than go in the creche. But that is not the point, we can solve the problem of him being refused assistance.

In my opinion, if a child requires assistance while learning toilet skills, he should be given that assistance irrespective or weather he requests it or not.

You need then to talk to the creche manager.

I know my two prefered to have someone wipe thier bum for them and there came a time when I had to push them to do it themselve esp my son, we had several arguements through the closed bathroom door and while they were learning it did mean giving them a bath nearly every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Thaedydal wrote: »
    You need then to talk to the creche manager.

I know my two prefered to have someone wipe thier bum for them and there came a time when I had to push them to do it themselve esp my son, we had several arguements through the closed bathroom door and while they were learning it did mean giving them a bath nearly every night.

That is an issue that we are dealing with. I was more concerned with the créches assertion that they are prohibited by the HSE from giving toilet assistance unless the child specifically requests it. It just seems like a lame excuse to me. They can change a childs nappy but the day he starts to use the toilet, he is on his own? Does not make a lot of sense to me.

Ask for a copy of those guidelines if they are claiming they exisit and they are bound by them if they don't furnish them then get on to the HSE looking for a copy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭darling.x

oh my goodness, thats shocking. What vegetable in the HSE made up that rule. It sounds very silly to me.

I work as a childminder and have worked with several families in the past minding kids of all ages. Several times in the past i've had kids aged 3 or there abouts being toilet trained. They liked to be independent and insist on wiping their owns bums but they couldn't do it properly. They do need help at this task.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 sylwunia

squire1 wrote: »
    That is an issue that we are dealing with. I was more concerned with the créches assertion that they are prohibited by the HSE from giving toilet assistance unless the child specifically requests it. It just seems like a lame excuse to me. They can change a childs nappy but the day he starts to use the toilet, he is on his own? Does not make a lot of sense to me.

Hi,
    I know that's a long time after you started that thread but did you find out whether HSE guidelines doesn't allow staff to help children in the toilet?
    Many thanks,

Sylwia

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭SaceyFlynn13

squire1 wrote: »
    While speaking to my son (3.5Yrs) he announced that he would not be doing his "poos" in the creche anymore. He has been toilet trained since January and has never had an accident.

When I questioned him about his decision, he told me that one of the staff members said that he was old enough to wipe his own bum and she would not be helping him anymore. We have had issues in the past where he has come home with a dirty and sore bum after trying to wipe himself but we assumed that he had just gone to the toilet without anybody in the creche noticing.

Now, I don't know many 3.5Year olds but my own son, while he would make a good attempt at wiping, he would not yet be able to do it properly. He does need assistance and he asks for and gets assistance at home.

When I rang the creche today to ask about the issue I was told that there was Health Board directives about attending to children in the toilet and that staff were not allowed to enter the toilet with a child unless the child asked for assistance.

My lad must have asked for and was refused assistance (to get the story he told me) but besides that, can anyone confirm that the above is true? Are crech staff not allowed into a toilet with the child? Surely there is a stage between toilet training and becomeing independant that the child will need assistance?

This is true the staff are not allowed to enter the toilet while child is doing their business.. I used to work in a crèche and the kids were roughly around the same age or older and we just assistant them to the toilet but we were never allowed to go in there with them.. Even if they so ask for assistant were still not obliged to go in

This is true the staff are not allowed to enter the toilet while child is doing their business.. I used to work in a crèche and the kids were roughly around the same age or older and we just assistant them to the toilet but we were never allowed to go in there with them.. Even if they so ask for assistant were still not obliged to go in

Thank you for reply Sacey it's great to hear the view of someone who worked in crèche.
    I would be very grateful if you answer the following questions:1)Were you allowed to help children to sit on the toilet if it was too high or did children have to use steps provided? 2)Is there any requirement for crèches to provide smaller toilets or toilet seats? 3)What legal document supports that staff is not allowed to go with the child to the toilet ? Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭SaceyFlynn13

sylwunia wrote: »
    Thank you for reply Sacey it's great to hear the view of someone who worked in crèche.
    I would be very grateful if you answer the following questions:1)Were you allowed to help children to sit on the toilet if it was too high or did children have to use steps provided? 2)Is there any requirement for crèches to provide smaller toilets or toilet seats? 3)What legal document supports that staff is not allowed to go with the child to the toilet ? Many thanks

There was steps provided in the toilets for the children also the boys lifted the toilet seat up themselfs and the girls had an extra toilet seat to put on the bowl as that was to big.. There was no legal documents to say we couldn't go in with the child but we would never go in sorry can't be more helpful to you I was only working there for a couple of months as I had to leave due to be pregnant..

• Advertisement

There was steps provided in the toilets for the children also the boys lifted the toilet seat up themselfs and the girls had an extra toilet seat to put on the bowl as that was to big.. There was no legal documents to say we couldn't go in with the child but we would never go in sorry can't be more helpful to you I was only working there for a couple of months as I had to leave due to be pregnant..

Thank you very much for this information Sacey Regards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

There's a big difference between allowed and obliged.

Advertisement