Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is Diesel now a waste of time?

Options
  • 16-06-2008 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

Well diesel drivers, presumably the majority bought it for its economic superpowers...but that ship has now sailed :(

Back to petrol anybody?

If this continues will the dealers drop the daysel prices?! They might have to as I cant see the Irish consumer going for them anymore........unless you live along the border ahem!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Diesel is still a winner for many who do maybe 30k plus per annum on the road.

if you only did 10 to 12k, there really a good argument to go back to petrol i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

depends on the car really

certain new cars on the new system will be cheaper in diesel and also much cheaper tax so those savings may cover cost of the higher pump price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Nooooooooo! No more diesel threads please!!!!!

I hope diesel dies. Everyone driving around in Diesel cars pushes the price of it up for the really imporant things. Heating fuel, haulage, electricity generation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055310080&highlight=diesel+dead

Given current fuel prices, your diesel car has to give aleast 15% greater fuel economy than an (equivelent) petrol to equalise the costs of fueling it. This of course doesnt take into account whatever extra the diesel car cost you to begin with, which isnt much of an issue on certain new cars, but is likely substantial for 99% of the cars on the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Perhaps we need a sticky called "NOTHING HAS CHANGED. DIESEL IS STILL CHEAPER IF YOU DRIVE BIG MILES. OF COURSE IT WAS GOING TO GET DEARER. DUH!".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I was just about to start a thread on this myself. According to the 9OClock news diesel refineries can't keep up with demand, hence the price rises. There will be pressure on government to reduce VAT on diesel (which AFAIK is higher than that on petrol?) but the medium-term trend seems to be towards increased diesel costs.

So the pendulum swings again. Petrol & diesels now similar cost to buy but the latter no longer an advantage at the pumps. Strange times we live in...

So what we need is a low CO2/high bhp petrol engine with good economy...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

OF COURSE IT WAS GOING TO GET DEARER. DUH!.

So presumably you posted this from your yacht in the mediterranean after you made your millions of $ by buying up barrells of oil when they were at $80 a pop :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Water is the fuel of the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Biro wrote: »

what happens when we run out of that;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Sizzler wrote: »
    So presumably you posted this from your yacht in the mediterranean after you made your millions of $ by buying up barrells of oil when they were at $80 a pop :rolleyes:
    Well given the continued rapid industrialisation of China and India, the strong move towards diesel cars across Europe and the emerging availability of quality low-sulphur diesel in the US, it's been inevitable that demand would rise sharply. The world oil production economy has always tilted towards petrol and oil companies have show a reluctance to invest in process changes to tilt it back the other way. Processed diesel actually contains over 15% more 'oil' (specifically more energy providing hydrocarbon bonds) per unit volume than petrol. So, yes, I think it was inevitable that diesel prices would out strip those for petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Biro wrote: »

Honda seem to think Hydrogen is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Mc-BigE wrote: »

We'll have found a way of turning oil to water ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

pburns wrote: »
    So what we need is a low CO2/high bhp petrol engine with good economy...
    Which BMW and VAG already offer with their direct injection petrols.

VAG's new 2.0 TFSI in the A4 is a case in point. On paper the best 4 pot engine out there IMO. 211 bhp, 258 lb ft of torque and all that torque at only 1500 rpm, lower than even the most powerful version of the all new 2.0 TDI from VAG which has only 170 bhp(and I thought diesel runs rings around petrol folks? Oh wait I forgot that that is just a figment of the diesel fanboy's imaginations, sorry about that) and also has 258 lb ft but it doesn't deliver the 258 lb ft until 1750 rpm, and only keeps producing that until 2500 rpm, meanwhile the 2.0 TFSI keeps twisting 258 lb ft of torque all the way from 1500 rpm up to 4500 rpm.

You might think that there is a price to pay for this superior performance from the petrol engine in terms of economy and emissions, but the 2.0 TFSI manages to pollute just 14 g/km more CO2 than the diesel, quite staggering really.

If we had more of these kind of petrol engines about it would take the sheen off diesel engines very, very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

Matt Simis wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055310080&highlight=diesel+dead

Given current fuel prices, your diesel car has to give aleast 15% greater fuel economy than an (equivelent) petrol to equalise the costs of fueling it. This of course doesnt take into account whatever extra the diesel car cost you to begin with, which isnt much of an issue on certain new cars, but is likely substantial for 99% of the cars on the roads.

I think it's supposed to be this way:
    Diesel is more economical in an average car once it does not cost 15% more than petrol does.

Or is that the same thing???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Mc-BigE wrote: »

/me puts on mad-max outfit:p

The new VRT laws make it very difficult even for me to justify choosing a petrol over a diesel for most cars. The residuals that diesels have always enjoyed over petrols will be further boosted because of the lower purchase price and lower road tax.

The cost of choosing petrol in terms of how sale proof a lot of petrol cars will be after July means it is very hard to choose one over diesel.

I mean why would you pay more for a Focus 1.4 with 80 bhp than a 1.8 TDCi with 115? Or why would you save €240 by going for a 1.6 Avensis instead of going for a diesel when you'll save €310 from the road tax man every year and get the proper hydraulic power steering as well as similar power to the 1.8?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

It'll be very hard to justify the 1.3 litre Diesel Fiat 500 or Panda over the new 900cc petrol which will arrive next year. It'll be in the same CO2 bracket; the lowest, cheaper to buy, near as powerful, as economical and over 100 KGs lighter.

Is that the twin cylinder model Mailman?

Anyone got any idea what a 2 cylinder car sounds like? I presume it is horrible to drive, 4 cylinders are coarse, 3 cylinders have all the smoothness of a country road in Wesht Cork, so 2 cylinders must be horrific altogether?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

E92 wrote: »
    Is that the twin cylinder model Mailman?

Anyone got any idea what a 2 cylinder car sounds like? I presume it is horrible to drive, 4 cylinders are coarse, 3 cylinders have all the smoothness of a country road in Wesht Cork, so 2 cylinders must be horrific altogether?

from what I've read their SGE engine is fully counter-balanced to minimise the coarseness but any engine under a triple is inherently coarse so I don't expect the twin-cylinder to be the most refined motor ever created. It'll probably be worse/less pleasant that the 1242cc Fire engine which is quite a pleasant engine but it might have more character to it to compensate.
    I've read discussions on this engine and they are fighting physics with a twin-cylinder to get it through a four stroke otto cycle but they will make it work.

• Advertisement

I wish them luck, because only 2 cylinders means there is no power stroke half the time from the engine. Or else there can be but then the firing is wrong(a la motorbikes). A 3 cylinder engine doesn't have a power stroke 1/3rd of the time. A 4 cylinder has a power stroke the whole time but it doesn't over lap. When one cylinder has finished its power stroke then at that exact second another cylinder take over and thus keeps the power strokes going. Straight 5, 6 and above have a continuous power stroke but they overlap, because there are more cylinders, so when one cylinder is finished its power stroke another cylinder will have started off beforehand. The more cylinders there are the earlier this process can occur. A cylinder has a power stroke every 180 deg(out of 720). So that's where I'm getting this thing about them overlapping. For a 5 pot 720/5 = 144, so 180 - 144 = 36, so 36 degrees before one cylinder has finished, the other has started, and so on and so forth. For a straight 6, 720 / 6 = 120, so for 60 degrees they can overlap. For a 4 pot, we have 720/4 =180, so that's why 4 pots don't have overlapping power strokes, for 3 pots 720/3 = 240, so every 180 degrees of a power stroke is followed by 60 degrees of nothing.

Does anyone know what type of engine those motorbikes that make half an effort to sound like a V8 are? Because if they are 2 pots then FIAT had better make one that sounds that good:D!

The new VRT laws make it very difficult even for me to justify choosing a petrol over a diesel for most cars. The residuals that diesels have always enjoyed over petrols will be further boosted because of the lower purchase price and lower road tax.

The cost of choosing petrol in terms of how sale proof a lot of petrol cars will be after July means it is very hard to choose one over diesel.

Though thankfully, not always the case. Regarding the new Audi A5 I have been recommending the new 2.0 petrol to friends and family:

A5 2.0 TFSI (211BHP Petrol) EUR51k RRP and EUR290 Tax a year
    A5 2.7 TDI (190BHP Diesel) at EUR54k RRP and EUR430 Tax.

The petrol is cheaper to buy, run, tax and has the same(ish) MPG and faster 0-60, its a no brainer. A straight no frills aftermark remap on the TFSI puts it in the 260BHP ballpark, where the old B5 S4 was, seriously cool. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Does anyone know what type of engine those motorbikes that make half an effort to sound like a V8 are? Because if they are 2 pots then FIAT had better make one that sounds that good:D!

The bikes are called Harley Davidson :rolleyes: and have a V twin between some 800 to 1300 cc, depending on model

Ever driven or heard a Citroen 2CV? Two cylinder boxer, asthmatic but very driveable and not too bad sounding either

and here's your "60 degrees of nothing", some Harley fans invest thousands into making them actually audible :D

That engine is on paper at least the best 4 cylinder engine out there Matt Simis by a country mile. I hope we see more petrols out there like that. We need more petrols like that. Then we'll see if diesel is still "better";)!

In the 2.7 TDI's favour though is the fact it has 6 cylinders. I think I might have mentioned it before that I much prefer 6 cylinder engine noise to 4:).

That engine is on paper at least the best 4 cylinder engine out there Matt Simis by a country mile. I hope we see more petrols out there like that. We need more petrols like that. Then we'll see if diesel is still "better";)!

In the 2.7 TDI's favour though is the fact it has 6 cylinders. I think I might have mentioned it before that I much prefer 6 cylinder engine noise to 4:).

Shh you and this better talk! Preferring a TDI 6cylinder vs 4pot Petrol sound... I think I detect some dry wit :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Anyone got any idea what a 2 cylinder car sounds like?

Horrible isnt the word :rolleyes:

Fiat had a twin cylinder car years ago. I remember the bloody things well :pac:

Have a read >> FIAT 126 << :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Buying a new diesel is one thing. Personally I think the 2nd hand prices of some diesels especially the VAG is over the top. People are still looking for top money for diesels with 100k+ . Unless you are doing mega miles there really isn't any point 2nd hand, as the smaller petrol will be cheaper to tax and insure, cheaper to buy and far less miles on the clock.

Keith186 wrote: »
    I think it's supposed to be this way:
    Diesel is more economical in an average car once it does not cost 15% more than petrol does.

Or is that the same thing???

I dunno what you mean by supposed to be, but what Im saying is that the fuel costs 15% more, so straight off the bat your Diesel whatever has to get 15% more mpg to equalise with petrol. That is fairly achievable (with any half way decent diesel), but it should be noted and not excluded when looking at raw mpg figures.

Obviously in the past the mpg was higher and the fuel cheaper/same, which was a double win. Its unlikely that will happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Matt Simis wrote: »
    I dunno what you mean by supposed to be, but what Im saying is that the fuel costs 15% more, so straight off the bat your Diesel whatever has to get 15% more mpg to equalise with petrol. That is fairly achievable (with any half way decent diesel), but it should be noted and not excluded when looking at raw mpg figures.

Obviously in the past the mpg was higher and the fuel cheaper/same, which was a double win. Its unlikely that will happen again.

I dont do many miles but here is an example of savings i am having after going diesel.

My last car : 02 Mondeo 1.8 Zetec Petrol
    €25 per week if I was lucky

New car : SEAT Cordoba 1.4 TDIs
    €10 per week MAX doing the same miles and toroughly enjoying the Turbo and Torque :D

Saving me €15 Per week in the pocket

along with that,
    I am saving almost €500 per year on tax and insurance.
    Call it €10 per week
    theres my diesel covered so now my savings are €25 per week :cool:
    Not bad and having a new car against a 6 year old one.
    No more NCT
    2 yr warranty etc.
    Nice ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,436 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

vectra wrote: »
    theres my diesel covered so now my savings are €25 per week :cool:
    Not bad and having a new car against a 6 year old one

€15 a week is a significant saving on its own in fuel and you are saving another €10 a week in tax and insurance, but you don't seem to be taking into account depreciation?

The depreciation on your old '02 Mondeo is maybe €20 a week and going down. The depreciation on your small new Seat is maybe €80 a week. So all in all it's costing you several thousand euro MORE a year to run a small new car compared to running a slightly older big car

Advertisement