Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AH: Traveler Bride Vs JigSawGirl

Options
  • 16-06-2008 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

So the JigSawGirl thread was deleted because of the pictures posted of the girl, insults were posted and details being given out? Now we have a thread which has pictures of a wedding, where the wedding was held, comments made about the smell of travelers, name of brides ... and its left open?

I have no problem with either thread (so no I havent reported posts) but I do think its weird that one gets deleted and the other doesnt. Maybe its because JigSawGirl looked innocent so someone presumed she needed protection and the Traveler Bride and her entourage .... well .... you know.

So, double standards? Would the thread only get deleted if we posted the Traveler Brides bebo page?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Maybe it was the fear that jigsaw girl would see it, they're probably not too worried about the travelers having broadband in their caravans!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Maybe it was the fear that jigsaw girl would see it, they're probably not too worried about the travelers having broadband in their caravans!

Thank you. Point made in the first post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

6th the bride with the copy of the Jordan dress went public and had an article and pictures already in the public domain. She have up, nay sold her right to anonaminty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Thaedydal wrote: »
    6th the bride with the copy of the Jordan dress went public and had an article and pictures already in the public domain. She have up, nay sold her right to anonaminty.

Well you could say the same about JigSawGirl, who presumably signed a release for the BBC so she could appear on their website... so there's no difference there, for a start.

Thaedydal wrote: »

Actually Thaed, the pictures on that thread are not of the bride who copied Jordon but of some other wedding.

• Advertisement

Dudess, as you're reading this thread (you thanked Thaed) can you tell me why you chose to "protect" JigSawGirl and not the people in this post who are/were being subjected to far worse comments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

The removal of the Jigsaw girl thread was one of the worst things to happen on Boards in a long time :(

My theory: Dudess wanted to remove it from public domain so she could keep the details for herself and go after Emer Kelly.

Dudess has no intention of stalking travellers so she left it open.

Rb wrote: »
    The removal of the Jigsaw girl thread was one of the worst things to happen on Boards in a long time :(

I agree, must be noted though that I have no issue with Dudess in general (she's a great mod) but I do think these 2 threads are compareable and show an inconsistancy in the moderating.
    Rb wrote: »
    My theory: Dudess wanted to remove it from public domain so she could keep the details for herself and go after Emer Kelly.

Dudess has no intention of stalking travellers so she left it open.

Lol, now I have her surname!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I have no idea wht the jig saw thread is or was, never saw it.

But the wedding thread in my opinion is an absolute train wreck, full of racist and derogatory remarks.

Some moderators seem to be blind when travellers are concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

It is a tricky subject alright.
    On one hand, people that allow their image being taken by a newspaper do give up rights to the way the image is used (much like facebook).
    On the other hand they probably don't want their friends to find them plastered all over over boards.ie and made fun of.

Imo, anyone (me included) who has posted in KYN has willingly given up posting rights to the image to boards. But images that come from non-celebrities should not be posted. Politicians, FasGirl, Seoige sisters etc are fair still game.

Ergo, both wedding and Jigsawgirl threads should be deleted. Imo.

Btw, I think it should be infractable offence to publicly post information (full name, school, estate, etcetera) that can aid tracking/stalking a private citizen (guess PM is ok).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

6th wrote: »
    Dudess, as you're reading this thread (you thanked Thaed) can you tell me why you chose to "protect" JigSawGirl and not the people in this post who are/were being subjected to far worse comments?
    I suppose because its easier to stand up for a forum user than a randomer.
    *knacker remark removed*

FuzzyLogic wrote: »
    I suppose because its easier to stand up for a forum user than a randomer.
    *knacker remark removed*

But wasJigSawGirl a forum user? No.

I see the thread has been closed but unlike the less offensive JigSawGirl thread this one is left there with photos, comments etc for all to see :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

I'd like like to know the answer to this too.
    peasant wrote: »
    I have no idea wht the jig saw thread is or was, never saw it.

But the wedding thread in my opinion is an absolute train wreck, full of racist and derogatory remarks.

Some moderators seem to be blind when travellers are concerned.

+1

I've never seen the jigsaw thread either. I agree, the wedding thread is absolutely shocking and disgraceful. Should this really be allowed on AH?

Would it have been allowed if it was a Nigerian wedding. I dont think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

But wasJigSawGirl a forum user? No.

How can you be sure she wouldn't be extremely displeased that there is a concerted campaign (even if light-hearted) to make her well known to the users of the biggest forum in the country?

Even in the statistically remote instance of me being hot enough, I'd still be browned off if it were me. :)

Giving permission for your image to be used for a specific instance, such as TV, is not the same as saying you want something like this.

Obviously she may find it hilarious, but there is no way of being sure.

I also thought the traveler thread was a train wreck and should have been closed.

stovelid wrote: »
    How can you be sure she wouldn't be extremely displeased that there is a concerted campaign (even if light-hearted) to make her well known to the users of the biggest forum in the country?

Even in the statistically remote instance of me being hot enough, I'd still be browned off if it were me. :)

Giving permission for your image to be used for a specific instance, such as TV, is not the same as saying you want something like this.

Obviously she may find it hilarious, but there is no way of being sure.

I also thought the traveler thread was a train wreck and should have been closed.

I'm not saying the JigSawGirl thread was right or wrong but apply what you just wrote to the travelers in the other thread. What I was pointing out was the very different treatment of the 2 threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

What I was pointing out was the very different treatment of the 2 threads.

I agree with you there 6th, but perhaps Jigsaw requested his thread to be deleted?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I was reading the original thread that the traveler bride thread was broken off from.

I was disappointed to see that it was moved to After Hours instead of just being split into another thread in the Weddings forum. I stayed out of it from that point as it was obvious what the bigots in AH would do to it.

sueme wrote: »
    I agree with you there 6th, but perhaps Jigsaw requested his thread to be deleted?

A thread starter doesnt own a thread. Can I go back and ask for all the threads I started to be deleted? No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

A thread starter doesnt own a thread. Can I go back and ask for all the threads I started to be deleted? No.
    I can't believe I'm finding myself agreeing with 6th!

Lately there's been a lot of "knacker bashing" across a few of the fora and it's even spilled into feedback.

Whatever your feelings about any group of people, you can't go marginalising them on a publicly viewable forum. It looks very bad and I'm sure some advertisers would think twice about being associated with this.

• Advertisement

I can't believe I'm finding myself agreeing with 6th!

If you stick around long enough anything is possible ;)

I imagine Dudess will ignore this thread until is fades away or gets locked.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

fight the power!

fight the power!

Lets not bring it down to that. This thread raises a good point and I'm hardly renouned for my Powah Fightin'.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Have to agree with you 6th, its seems like inconsistant modding.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Agreeing with 6th here - complete double standards. Only one excuse was given and that was thrown out so we are back to square one: Why?

I thought the Waterford forum led the way in ending the ****e with making retarted comments about travellers etc. Its just repeating itself in AH now. Do we need to give the folk who were banned from Waterford a reason to claim unfairness??

Regardless, I thought the dicussion we had (mods) about such threads was that there just not permitted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Does seem to be inconsistent but im sure it can be easily fixed. However I didnt see the original jigsaw thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

if dudess leavesd the thread open she gets a feedback thread complaining that she's anti traveller, if she closes it she gets a feedback thread complaining that she's a pc nazi.
    *shrug*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Why are ye having a go at Dudess?

There are 6 other AH mods who also chose not to close / delete it.

If someone who's not a celeb or a Boards gets their picture put up and they get slagged off the thread gets locked and deleted as soon as the mod sees it. JigSawGirl.

If someone who's not a celeb or a Boards gets their picture put up and they get slagged off (along with the community they belong too) the thread gets locked and left there long after the mod has seen it and posted in the thread. Traveler Bride.

• Advertisement

stevec wrote: »
    Why are ye having a go at Dudess?

There are 6 other AH mods who also chose not to close / delete it.

Because Dudess deleted the JigSawGirl thread and then posted in the thread were the travelers were being slagged off. She even defended the thread and the slagging of the traveler bride by thanking Thaeds post above.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement