Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bicycles are great, basically

Options
  • 16-06-2008 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Nice piece that appeared in a special supplement on how to save money on personal transport.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I like Matt Seaton's articles.

I saw loads of people on the bike today along the Clontarf cycle track, more than I usually would. I still think there could be much more.
    For me, just the 15-minute ride to work is a twice-daily spirit-lifting treat that helps me stay fit and healthy and, more importantly, keeps me sane.

Completely true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

I want to see a complete return to Victorian ideals: Bicycles, steam power, being condescending to the natives, opium on sale in department stores, soldiers in lovely uniforms gloriously marching into cannon balls, syphilis, dropping your monicle when you're shocked, all that stuff. It’ll be good, can’t wait. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I want to see a complete return to Victorian ideals: Bicycles, steam power, being condescending to the natives, opium on sale in department stores, soldiers in lovely uniforms gloriously marching into cannon balls, syphilis, dropping your monicle when you're shocked, all that stuff. It’ll be good, can’t wait. :)

And workhouses, we need more workhouses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Raam wrote: »

Would get the scumbags off the streets... also capital punishment for stealing, or transporting to the colonies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

And more street food - though it is worth bearing in mind that 60% of the meat sold in Victoria's Britian was contaminated.

So maybe we should just hark back to the pre-eminence of the bicycle, seeing as how China seems to heading in the opposite direction?

Was back on the bike myself this morning after a brief sojourn imposed by the need to take phonecalls while commuting. Handsfree technology is the enemy of sanity. I prefer having the excuse of being 'on the bike' when I don't answer the phone.

I felt averything Matt described, but also felt a bit of 'the fear' when you haven't been saddlebound for a while. Manhole covers, car doors, impatient motorists overtaking close enough to give you a shave...I'll be fine after two more days of cycling!!

Wore my Boards.ie gear for the first time too. Top kit.

Yes, bicycles are bloody great.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

Seriously though, bicycles are great.

There was a bit about cycling in the Times yesterday also. Boris and Cameron peddling around London and all, if I didn’t know better I’d think there was a zeitgeist going around.

It’s just….I dunno. This might get me in trouble....

I think a lot of people will read articles like this and roll their eyes. It reads like someone sitting at a dinner party talking about cycling is as if they were the first person to ever hop on a bike.
    Now, there’s nothing wrong with that per se. More people on bikes=great. It’s just, y’know, these articles are less about saying “bikes are great” than they are about the journalist saying “I’m great, I ride a bike”.

I’m not sure what’s needed, less smugness maybe. Cycling doesn't need to be sold as a fashion or a trend or a lifestyle choice or a total zen thing. It is all those things but moreso, cycling is just common bloody sense.

Maybe I should write for the papers.
    bah. [/rant]

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Itsfixed wrote: »
    Nice piece that appeared in a special supplement on how to save money on personal transport.
    Closer to home, arch capitalist Karl Deeter has been making the same point: http://www.mortgagebrokers.ie/blog/index.php/2008/05/02/how-to-beat-a-recession-simple-ways-to-avoid-the-pinch/

It’s just, y’know, these articles are less about saying “bikes are great” than they are about the journalist saying “I’m great, I ride a bike”.

True, but unavoidable really. Very hard to convey enthusiasm for your subject without the risk of this coming across. I've been accused of being smug about cycling myself.

I can't help it.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I’m not sure what’s needed, less smugness maybe.
    Obligatory (YouTube, needs sound)

blorg wrote: »
    Obligatory (YouTube, needs sound)

brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Raam wrote: »
    Would get the scumbags off the streets... also capital punishment for stealing, or transporting to the colonies :)

I thought I was reading After Hours there for a moment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I found the stopatred.org site via one of the links of the Guardian article.
    Why not run red lights? is a good initiative.
    Besides, what's the hurry? You already ride the fastest vehicle in town!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

Seriously though, bicycles are great.

There was a bit about cycling in the Times yesterday also. Boris and Cameron peddling around London and all, if I didn’t know better I’d think there was a zeitgeist going around.

It’s just….I dunno. This might get me in trouble....

I think a lot of people will read articles like this and roll their eyes. It reads like someone sitting at a dinner party talking about cycling is as if they were the first person to ever hop on a bike.
    Now, there’s nothing wrong with that per se. More people on bikes=great. It’s just, y’know, these articles are less about saying “bikes are great” than they are about the journalist saying “I’m great, I ride a bike”.

I’m not sure what’s needed, less smugness maybe. Cycling doesn't need to be sold as a fashion or a trend or a lifestyle choice or a total zen thing. It is all those things but moreso, cycling is just common bloody sense.

Maybe I should write for the papers.
    bah. [/rant]

I don't knowabout that. I'm proud to say i ride a bike far more than i use my car. I don't want to be regarded as an eccentric just because i do, so the more people that say they actually like riding bikes and do so by choice, the less it is perceived by the unwash masses as second class transport.

A film critic was reviewing a recent film in which the main character rode a bike to get around, and he said that when a protaganist in any film these days rides a bike instead of use a car, it suggests that the character is someone who is at ease with himself/herself. ie. doesn't need a car as a penis extension or as an extension of their personalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

A film critic was reviewing a recent film in which the main character rode a bike to get around, and he said that when a protaganist in any film these days rides a bike instead of use a car, it suggests that the character is someone who is at ease with himself/herself. ie. doesn't need a car as a penis extension or as an extension of their personalities

I think thats just peddaling the same crap in a different way. I freely admit to being a total snob about my bike and what I wear, much more so than my car. As far as I can see most other cyclists are the same.

I think cycling has suddenly become cool and so attracts a whole lot of people to the image; enviornment friendly, laid back, middle class, into fitness. True?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

How about a cycle club where we cycle about 2-5 miles to the beach/park, have a picnic and wander home. kit will be black pinstripe suits and brown shoes. Bicycles will have a maximum of 3 gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

How about a cycle club where we cycle about 2-5 miles to the beach/park, have a picnic and wander home. kit will be black pinstripe suits and brown shoes. Bicycles will have a maximum of 3 gears.

Now that's my kind of club... though handlebar mustaches should be a requirement too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Writing as objectively as I possibly can, I think it is one of the greatest inventions of all time, mechanical or otherwise.

Have a look at Copenhagen or Amsterdam to see the unfulfilled potential in Irish cities. 5 to 6 miles is easily commutable for any half-fit adult.

We are talking

Dun Laoghaire - Dublin
    Ballincollig - Cork
    Castleconnell - Limerick
    Oranmore - Galway
    etc.

Think how much higher quality of life would be in our cities. Workplaces should be given govt grants to construct shower facilities.

Advertisement