Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Just to confirm...

Options
  • 16-06-2008 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

I'm sorry if the answer to this is blindingly obvious so lock away once the question is answered :o

I'm on my second provisional at the moment, and as far as I am aware, I can drive unaccompanied till the 30th of June. However my mam has been ringing and texting me the last few days saying the law is in already, etc, and she's doing my head in. She says she heard it on Gerry Ryan :confused: I think she's mixing it up with the 5-day blitz by the guards on road safety that started last week.

Can someone set me straight, I'm still ok to drive on my own till 30th June? I'm up the creek after that anyway :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭valz_walsh

As far as Im aware, only people on there 1st and 3rd provisional MUST drinve with a fully licenced driver.

Only people on there 2nd can drive on their own.

Kinda doesnt make sence to me. Surely a person on their 3rd provisional has more driving experience and could for that reason be able to drive better then many 2nd provisional drivers. Or is it on the basis that 3rd provisional drivers have failed their test and are therefore considered bad drivers?

Im on my 3rd provisional (paniced doing the reversing around the corner bit in my test, didnt do it properally, and he failed me - which I guess is fair enough), but I drove around all weekend on my own, thought Id take my chances. My test is coming up soon, so I took lessons in Mallow on Saturday, figured Id see loads or guards stopping cars, but there was absolutally nothing.:eek:

Im curious..has anyone been stopped because of there L plates yet?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭pinkmonkey

Yes you are okay to drive un-accompanied until the 30th of June....Remember that you are breaking the law by doing so...

The law has always been in place it just hasn't been enforced and all the guards are doing is simply turning a blind eye to those on their 2nd provisional until the 30th of June.

After that you drive alone at your own risk...
    To anyone saying that this 'new' law is unfair is wrong...firstly it is not new and secondly you were warned ages ago....

Oh and yes I am a learner (with L plates up) and I am still driving alone and no I am not recommending that anyone does it....

valz_walsh wrote: »
    Im curious..has anyone been stopped because of there L plates yet?:confused:

There is already a thread on this subject....should be fairly near the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭valz_walsh

Sorry pinkmonkey, didnt see the thread.

Thanks

valz_walsh wrote: »
    Sorry pinkmonkey, didnt see the thread.

Thanks

No problemo fellow learner driver :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

pinkmonkey wrote: »
    Yes you are okay to drive un-accompanied until the 30th of June....Remember that you are breaking the law by doing so...

The law has always been in place it just hasn't been enforced and all the guards are doing is simply turning a blind eye to those on their 2nd provisional until the 30th of June.

I wasn't aware that that law was in place. I thought second provisional drivers could always legally drive on their own.

I did do a test recently, to be honest because of it being my first test and the pressure to pass with this thing coming in, I was so nervous that I failed. I'm now facing going back to commuting 4 hours a day on bus/train instead of 50 mins :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

missmatty wrote: »
    I wasn't aware that that law was in place. I thought second provisional drivers could always legally drive on their own.

I did do a test recently, to be honest because of it being my first test and the pressure to pass with this thing coming in, I was so nervous that I failed. I'm now facing going back to commuting 4 hours a day on bus/train instead of 50 mins :(

PinkMonkey is talking <SNIP>, it was LEGAL to drive on your 2nd Provisonal on your own, don't know what the rule is now, whether is stretches to 30th of June or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's legal to drive unaccompanied on a second provisional until June 30th. The current blitz is concentrating on people on 1st, 3rd and subsequent provsional licences who are driving unaccompanied.

Boggles wrote: »
    PinkMonkey is talking <SNIP>,

Apologies I just looked at the website and stand corrected. Please watch the language as you may get banned for it.

From the 30th June onwards everyone on their 2nd provisional / learner permit will be required to have a fully licensed driver (who hold their license for at least 2 years) with them at all times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Please watch the language. It was not legal to drive on your own on your 2nd provisional.

you could and still can drive unaccompanied on your second provisional. This rule comes to an end on 30th June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Nightwish I was editing my post while you were putting yours. I stand corrected....whoops I'm not perfect after all

• Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Apologies I just looked at the website and stand corrected. Please watch the language as you may get banned for it.

I appreciate you looking out for me, but I'm sure the mods on this forum are more than capable of making up their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

This information is contained in the sticky. Please read it before begining new threads!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

This information is contained in the sticky. Please read it before begining new threads!

The OP doesn't state the category so I'll assume it's Category B.

Category B

Persons on their 1st, 3rd and subsequent Provisional Licence/Learner Permit are required to be accompanied at all times.

Persons on their 2nd Provisional Licence/Learner Permit may continue to drive unaccompanied until the 30th June 2008.

Provisional Licence/Learner Permit holders in category B are prohibited from towing a trailer.

Thread Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement