Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turbo Trainer / Rollers

Options
  • 16-06-2008 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭

Right, I'm now considering picking up some form of indoor trainer (this cycling lark is getting out of hand!). The reason for it is to mostly to interval training in the evenings, as I can get a better workout indoors in an hour than I would heading out on the old bike (and I can tailor the resistance to apporximate climbs that would take the hour to reach). Now I know this might not be the best way to train, and that it's noisy, but do ye have any advice as to what is a good Turbo Trainer to get, or should I go for Rollers, or not bother at all (I also have an eye on the winter too, where it'll be even more handy).

In terms of budget, I reckon I'd go to about 250 or so (seems to be a fair number available around that price)

suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I have a Tacx turbo trainer which I picked up on sale for 130E. You can get in a decent workout on them, especially when the weather is crap or dark outside. (esp in winter). However they are extremely boring and very hard to motivate yourself to do anything more than 40 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Get out on the road if you can. I have the TacX Imagic (virtual trainer) and even that was hard work during the winter. I'd say I used it 5 times all year. I ended up being out in the belting rain and freezing cold for a couple of hours each night instead ! (Did me no good though, peaked in the winter as a result and been rubbish since).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

the tacx imagic does get a lot of good reports. Could you borrow a turbo for a while before investing? Some people can handle it (watch a movie or the like) but some people become psychotic on them. It will also do nothing for your bike handling skills (evidence one Hunnymonster who can't corner for sh!t)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Good idea about borrowing one if possible... I don't think the boredom factor will bother me, I can happily zone out with a film or some music on for a few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I believe rollers may help with the bike handling skills though no adjustable resistance etc ;-)

Bear in mind you will need to change your rear tyre for a trainer one every time you use it; some people keep a cheap rear wheel handy to make this quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

tiny, ill lend you my tacx turbo trainer if you'd like. i'd recommend using one over winter, but during the summer, best get outside.

i can barely manage an hour, but what i did was always structured. i've put mine away till winter now. but feel free to drop round to my house and pick it up. just pm myself for the address.

blorg wrote: »
    I believe rollers may help with the bike handling skills though no adjustable resistance etc ;-)

Bear in mind you will need to change your rear tyre for a trainer one every time you use it; some people keep a cheap rear wheel handy to make this quicker.

Yeah, I know about changing the rear wheel, and it's included in the budget, the downside you state with rollers is the main reason I veering more towards a turbo, as it's the resistance I want (and need!) -it'll allow me to kill myself on an 'uphill', and not get stuck in the middle of Wicklow :)

ba wrote: »
    tiny, ill lend you my tacx turbo trainer if you'd like. i'd recommend using one over winter, but during the summer, best get outside.

i can barely manage an hour, but what i did was always structured. i've put mine away till winter now. but feel free to drop round to my house and pick it up. just pm myself for the address.

you're a gentleman sir, and I'll certainly take you up on that offer -it's the easiest way to see if it's for me! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

Yeah, I know about changing the rear wheel, and it's included in the budget,

theres a turbo tyre you can get that is made espcially for turbo training, tacx do them and also Continental, will save u hassle & money changing your road tyre all the time

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?W=0&Manufacturer=&UberCatName=&Cat=cycle&CategoryName=&ProdID=5360017042&UberCat=0
    ba wrote: »
    i'd recommend using one over winter, but during the summer, best get outside.

same here, goin on the road is better, espcially since we have the long eveenings, go out and do those nasty hills, winter is long enough to be training indoors!!!!

Advertisement