Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo messing up!

Options
  • 16-06-2008 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭

hi,

don't suppose anyone here works for Volvo - and can therefore explain to me why you can't get a 2.0 litre S80/V70 in Automatic?!?

twas a bread n butter combo for many Volvo drivers over the years and since the current models came in, it isn't available. Now I grant you that a lot of the 'new-to-the-brand' customers prob couldnt give a damn - but for all those that went from 240 to 740 to 940 to S80 - its beyond belief.

now im aware that the flexifuel is a ford unit, not a Volvo 5, but surely not offering an auto for this is a glaring oversight?!!? I know a few of the sales guys were pulling their hair out over it too - an auto S80 for €40k apparently would have flown.. so who makes these decisions??

In addition, it sounds like the powershift box will be available eventually - but not for the next year or so there's not even a 2.0 litre Diesel in auto - only the D5 is available.

Seems a shame that with their current offer on flexifuel that an auto wasnt available. So - as it stands - with the July deadline approaching - Volvo's bigger cars - with automatic *petrol* engines - are ALL in band G. That's just nuts. They've absolutely lost a core audience here, myself included. I hear that sales overseas for Volvo are down - esp USA (credit crunch) - but it makes me wonder are they doing equally silly things over there too...

ps. anyone heard any official prices for Volvo or Saab?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

geoff29 wrote: »
    hi,

don't suppose anyone here works for Volvo - and can therefore explain to me why you can't get a 2.0 litre S80/V70 in Automatic?!?

twas a bread n butter combo for many Volvo drivers over the years and since the current models came in, it isn't available. Now I grant you that a lot of the 'new-to-the-brand' customers prob couldnt give a damn - but for all those that went from 240 to 740 to 940 to S80 - its beyond belief.

now im aware that the flexifuel is a ford unit, not a Volvo 5, but surely not offering an auto for this is a glaring oversight?!!? I know a few of the sales guys were pulling their hair out over it too - an auto S80 for €40k apparently would have flown.. so who makes these decisions??

In addition, it sounds like the powershift box will be available eventually - but not for the next year or so there's not even a 2.0 litre Diesel in auto - only the D5 is available.

Seems a shame that with their current offer on flexifuel that an auto wasnt available. So - as it stands - with the July deadline approaching - Volvo's bigger cars - with automatic *petrol* engines - are ALL in band G. That's just nuts. They've absolutely lost a core audience here, myself included. I hear that sales overseas for Volvo are down - esp USA (credit crunch) - but it makes me wonder are they doing equally silly things over there too...

ps. anyone heard any official prices for Volvo or Saab?

Pah if i wanted a big ford i'd get a mondeo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭geoff29

Volvoboy wrote: »
    Pah if i wanted a big ford i'd get a mondeo.

how nice for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

geoff29 wrote: »
    how nice for you

Sorry that wasnt ment to sound bad, just saying that Volvo are a mutt of a car now.

No Volvo has any intrest for me since the 900 Series

Volvoboy wrote: »
    Sorry that wasnt ment to sound bad, just saying that Volvo are a mutt of a car now.

No Volvo has any intrest for me since the 900 Series

yeh i know i agree - have a few floating about here :D unfortunately duty calls that i cant spend all my time in 15 year old cars.. a shame.. rwd i miss it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The 2.0 Flexifuel has no power at all, I've never driven one but 0-100 of 11 seconds in a big huge saloon or estate means it will be very slow indeed, lets not insult that engine by sticking an Autobox into it which would sap what little power there was in the first place.

The 2.0 in the old S80 has 180 bhp, while the new 2.0 F has only 145 bhp, which is a big, big drop.

The only S80 that would get close for performance is the D5, which is the best choice by far under the new VRT rules.

It even offers lower road tax than your outgoing S80 as well, now that from July road tax and VRT are at last no longer linked to engine size. Unfortunately even the D5 manages to make it into 32% VRT and €1k road tax. The manual D5 however manages 24% VRT and €430 road tax. While the (fortunate) lack of an Automatic gearbox in certain S80 derivatives might be a problem before July, I seriously don't see too many people paying extra road road tax(and a much higher premium for an Automatic gearbox than before because of VRT increases which apply to the whole car) after July just so they don't have to change gears themselves.

Unless the OP is completely and utterly diesel phobic there is nothing to complain about here. Best of all the D5 is a 100% Volvo engine too;)!

• Advertisement

i agree drove the manual 2.0 and its a p.o.s. but thats part of my point - why did they put that engine in? its a shame because, as you pointed out the 180 bhp 2.0 litre LPT 5 pot in the previous S80 was a sweet tool - quite refined and surprisingly fast - and when you did hear it - it made that pleasant noise - not a million miles off its T5 stablemate. not in the mood for a diesel - but granted the D5 isnt far off that ford petrol unit in terms of smoothness.

I suppose its for cost reasons that the 2.0 LPT was dumped if I really wanted it I could opt for an S60 - but thats a little long in the tooth.

oh well was worth the enquiry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I know nothing about Volvo's but I assume these are 2.0 turbo's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Getting rid of the old 5 pot 2.0 Volvo engine was a serious mistake - who thought 4 cylinders is refined enough for an executive saloon, especially a Volvo - where refinement, smoothness and comfort are important?

Though it would still be screwed for July regardless. One of the disadvantages of more cylinders is more fuel consumption and hence Co2 emissions.

You should give a D5 a go - you might be pleasantly surprised by how good modern diesels are - though they still have some distance to go to match petrol if you ask me, but hey a lot of people think they're the bee's knees and swear they won't go back to petrol!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Volvo are now offering a Powershift option on the C30/S40/V50 2.0d, but it hasn't made it in to the V70 or S80.

I'd say with the extra VRT involved it would bring it closer to the D5 in price.

After July the 2.5T engine in the S80/V70 will be FlexiFuel so have a €2,500 rebate. Still looking at about €58k for the cheapest S80 Petrol Auto which is about €300 more than the D5 version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

BostonB wrote: »
    I know nothing about Volvo's but I assume these are 2.0 turbo's?

Yep, the old 2.0T was a 5 cylinder with turbo and generated 180 bhp. With the 5 speed auto box the wife's V70 is actually quite a mover, as long as you don't mind averaging less than 15mpg...(she's a lot lighter on the noisey pedal and still averages 22mpg)

• Advertisement
Advertisement