Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Help for a Private candidate. Books, practicals et such....

Options
  • 16-06-2008 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could help me out here. I'm planning to sit the LC next june as a private candidate and i'll be studying it completely on my own (bar tuition in Maths and Physics), but don't really know about what books to get and what's on the syllabus for each. I was wondering if anyone could give me pointers on what syllabus requirements and what books would be best to get for each? I plan to sit exams in:

French (Higher)
    History (Higher)
    Art (Higher)
    Music (Higher)
    Business Studies (Higher)
    Maths (Ordinary)
    Physics (Higher)

I already have a few books from when I was at school a couple of years ago but i don't know if they'd be enough on their own. I'm also not entirely sure how to go about arranging practicals for Art, Music or Physics. (Can music practicals be arranged through a music school?) Or how to get the project in history verified.

Any help would be much appreciated. I live in Drogheda btw.

Thanks in advance !

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Contact the school you hope to sit it in and ask them what to do about your practicals and projects.

All the syllabi are on the Department of Education and Science site.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭A-Bit-Dodge

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could help me out here. I'm planning to sit the LC next june as a private candidate and i'll be studying it completely on my own (bar tuition in Maths and Physics), but don't really know about what books to get and what's on the syllabus for each. I was wondering if anyone could give me pointers on what syllabus requirements and what books would be best to get for each? I plan to sit exams in:

French (Higher)
    History (Higher)
    Art (Higher)
    Music (Higher)
    Business Studies (Higher)
    Maths (Ordinary)
    Physics (Higher)

I already have a few books from when I was at school a couple of years ago but i don't know if they'd be enough on their own. I'm also not entirely sure how to go about arranging practicals for Art, Music or Physics. (Can music practicals be arranged through a music school?) Or how to get the project in history verified.

Any help would be much appreciated. I live in Drogheda btw.

Thanks in advance !

Ah!! you do all my subjects bar art!!! :D

French, get the formule 1 book and a GOOD dictionary, and of course exam papers..if you could get your hands on a tpae book that would help aswell.

History, rapid revision is brilliant for key personalities and case studies. For the special topic, just make sure its topical, well researched and understandable, maybe send it to a local school and ask the history department to verify it.

Music, there is no book, get the rapid revision book, the score (berlioz, mozart seachanges and beatles) and a recording of each excerpt.

Advertisement