Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male or female vocal - which do you prefer?

Options
  • 16-06-2008 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

A while back, while browsing my music collection, I noticed I've a huge number of female solo artists in my collection, and I'd rate them all very highly... moreso than the male solo artists I like.
    If I were to say who's my favourite artist, it'd be a she.

When it comes to a band situation, I realised I'm more into male vocal leads.

So, excluding band, is your music collection dominated by male or female vocalists?
    Which do you prefer?

Male or Female vocals - which do you prefer? 15 votes

I'm a bloke, and would listen / prefer mostly male vocal
    0% 0 votes
    I'm a girl, and would listen / prefer mostly male vocal
    53% 8 votes
    I'm a bloke, and would listen / prefer mostly female vocal
    26% 4 votes
    I'm a girl, and would listen / prefer mostly female vocal
    20% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Bands it's definitely gotta be a male voalcist. I could probably list the female fronted bands I like on one hand (Garbage, Catatonia, No Doubt, Skunk Anansie, Cranberries, ehhhhhh.......).

Solo artist wise I'd say again it's male dominated with a some females thrown in for good measure, though the ratio is more even.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

I picked the last option - as a female singer myself i listen to lots of female singing , for enjoyment and sometimes to study their voclas.

However, quite a few of my favourite singers are men... healthy balance me thinx..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

There should be a "I'm a bloke/Girl, I enjoy both....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

I went with female but realistaically, as always is the case with music, it all depends on mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I know some people are going to disagree here but I know a lot of people agree when I say I prefer male singers a lot more.

My favourite vocalists would be the likes of Thom Yorke, Tom Waits, Beck, Josh Homme, Elliott Smith, Anthony, Damon Albarn, Bob Dylan, Captain Beefheart and I don't know why but whatever these guys have.. female vocalists don't seem to have?

I can't think of a single female artist that would evoke as much in me as Thom singing on Nude or Black Swan or Climbing Up the Walls.

I still have a few female artists that I regard highly; Regina Spektor, PJ Harvey, yer wan from the Knife, Joanna Newsom but they don't seem to climb into that top tier of music I have.

It may just be deep misogyny though because I feel the same way about visual artists, for some reason their art doesn't generally do much for me and when we're talking about favourites it's predominately male.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

^^^ AHeM :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Hmm...in terms of my favourite bands it's fairly even:
    Billy Corgan, Thom Yorke, Black Francis, Lou Reed, Bobby Gillespie and Jack White for the male side.
    Shirley Manson, Kim Deal, Kim Gordon, Lovefoxxx, Bjork and Gwen Stefani for the female side.

However when it comes to solo work, I definitely prefer more female vocals.

Off the top of my head: Bjork, Alanis Morissette, Nelly Furtado, Gwen Stefani, PJ Harvey, M.I.A., Cathy Davey, Amy Winehouse......I'll cheat and add Alison Goldfrapp (even though she's not really a solo artist) and Bat for Lashes (not sure if it's a group or just Natasha Khan)

Oh and Shirley Manson will surely be on that list whenever she finally releases that solo album that's taken forever to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

^^^ AHeM :cool:

Sup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭rebeldiamond

I picked "male" in the poll as for whatever reason, I seem to always have a preference for male singers?? I dont even know why this is, I guess I just like their vocals better!
    Like; Billy Corgan, Thom Yorke, Michael Stipe, Damon Albarn, Brandon Flowers (The Killers) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

So mant great male female vocalists down the years .Karen Carpenter and kiki dee spring to mind , both great voices . My Fav female vocalist at the moement is Duffy .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhZ5-L9znt8

• Advertisement
Advertisement