Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hmmmm... Physics Paper, how was it for you?

Options
  • 16-06-2008 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

I found that the experiments were a bit different and I was restricted in the long questions due to the ineptitude of my teacher (we didn't cover circular motion or electromeagnetism at all).

But it was a pretty typical paper, the hardest one I've done for the leaving and it was my last one!!! :D:D

Just a few parts caught me out and I was probably bluffing (last part of question 9, the particle physics calculation).

Hard paper, but the experiments and q 11 and 12 couldn't have been nicer...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

For particle physics how many pions did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

I decided to drop to Ordinary Level this morning. So happy that I made the decision. Hopefully I'll get a high B or A. Such an easy paper all round.

I heard there was a few tricky bits in the higher paper alright. Only one exam left tomorrow and then I'm done. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Calorimeterman

I think I got, all in all 12 pions, it was like 3 + 9.2something so I rounded it down to 12...

I was incredibly careful with it, just in case I was to make any mistakes...

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Slashman X

Well failed :(

Expts were easy enough, long q's were just effort

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Damn I got 7 pions. Ah well only a few marks gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Loved that paper. The experiments plus Q11 and Q12 were just fantastic. Q8 and Q10 were okay. Used 3E8 for the speed of light in Q10... wonder if I'll be skinned for that?

Once again I managed to make a complete balls of Q6 despite having little difficulty with the harder stuff in Applied Maths? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Sugarplum_fairy

Oh i found the last part of question 9 tricky too! got some isane madly number of pions...
    also, is it just me or for 12.c., you were supposed to write an equation right? but uranium isn't included on the log table they give us... so how can you write the atomic number?? and the space station, why is it above a different point? i thought it wasn't because it was in geostationary orbit so i just said something about the radius of its journey being larger...
    other than that i thought it was grand, even managed to get a few extra questions done! so now just knuckling down to economics!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 acidstorm

alan4cult wrote: »
    Damn I got 7 pions. Ah well only a few marks gone.

WTH, I got 7 too but I said 6 cause every 3 made charge conserved. I dunno :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

Experiments shorts and q 12 were very nice
    That light question was a bit annoying though

I got away with doing no magnetism or electricity study! oh yes:D

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭A-Bit-Dodge

You had to get the charge of the reaction and then that was the charge equal to uranium plus the neutron, charge was something like in the n90's wasnt it??

****, I got 12. 9 pions or something....

Overall, lovely paper!! Delighted to see monchromatic in exp so the derivation wasnt gonna show its ugly head :D:D:D

Gravitation was well predicted on my teachers part! Practically DID that question last night... resistivity was waaaaay too easy, they're definitely gonna mark that hard... shorts were lovely, question 12 was a gift from god, I did all the parts for the howl!!:rolleyes:
    ones to avoid... REFRACTION!!! what was that about?? hadnt a clue what they were asking, electromagnetic induction was a bit dodge aswell...

oh ya, did anyone get a ridiculous answer for the pressure exerted on the tip of the pin in the shorts???

• Advertisement

The uranium thing.... I don't think they would be able to take into account the atomic number thing at all, it's only the mass numbers that are changing anyway...

I got two extra questions done, but I don't think i'll get too many more marks for the resistivity question i did, the final two questions on that were just torture!!! i mentioned everything remotely related to electrons and resistance; thermionic emission, Joule's law, E=hf.....

You had to get the charge of the reaction and then that was the charge equal to uranium plus the neutron, charge was something like in the n90's wasnt it??

****, I got 12. 9 pions or something....

Overall, lovely paper!! Delighted to see monchromatic in exp so the derivation wasnt gonna show its ugly head :D:D:D

Gravitation was well predicted on my teachers part! Practically DID that question last night... resistivity was waaaaay too easy, they're definitely gonna mark that hard... shorts were lovely, question 12 was a gift from god, I did all the parts for the howl!!:rolleyes:
    ones to avoid... REFRACTION!!! what was that about?? hadnt a clue what they were asking, electromagnetic induction was a bit dodge aswell...

oh ya, did anyone get a ridiculous answer for the pressure exerted on the tip of the pin in the shorts???
    For Pressure I got something like 7x10^-3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I loved that paper :D

Considering I was just praying for a pass, I think I got about 60% which of course I'm delighted with.

The experiments were...meh

The long questions were good though.
    The only study I did for physics was learn off all the formulas listed in the syllabus (about 43 or 44 or so). I did that, and prayed that there was loads of maths. And there was :)

Also my last one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 The Hitman

I got 20,000pa. Probably wrong as usual!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭A-Bit-Dodge

hmmmm... that sounds right....?? I think thats the kinda thing I got... how did you do it??
    P=F/A, get force and put it into the other equation with the different area value??

Ooooh... i said the light emitting diode thing, with the heat releasing electrons, flow of electric charge, current, light comes on?? anyone???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 nyangnyang

I am in shock. I learned 26 of the 28 experiments. The 2 i didnt learn came up.Anyone able to work out the probability of that(im serious i wanna know)

hmmmm... that sounds right....?? I think thats the kinda thing I got... how did you do it??
    P=F/A, get force and put it into the other equation with the different area value??

Ooooh... i said the light emitting diode thing, with the heat releasing electrons, flow of electric charge, current, light comes on?? anyone???
    Well, I waffled it tbh :D Had no clue what to do :p, I just got the pressure for 1mm^2 (12/500 or whatever) then got pressure for .3mm^2, which is completely wrong :D

Slashman X wrote: »
    For Pressure I got something like 7x10^-3

How did you get that?

I think I got something like 80,000
    :(

Mark200 wrote: »
    How did you get that?

I think I got something like 80,000
    I also said earlier in the thread, that I failed miserably :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭life_is_music

I thought it was a fairly ok paper.......considering I didnt bother covering electromagnetism, particle physics and modern physics!!

Experiments were fine (where the hell was sonometer??)
    q12 was beautiful!!

Light question was fairly hard!

How many sunrises did ye get for 6?? I said 16 but I knew that from a previous trip to nasa :) will i still get marks?? I couldn;t work out the periodic time or any of that......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

The Hitman wrote: »

Well I got that too, so maybe we're both wrong. :P

I thought it was ok, experiments were nice enough, although some of the long questions were pretty hard.

I got 14 pions. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Did anyone do question 9 well?

For the part i "how near an object can be placed in front of the eye and still be in focus", was that just say the focal length was 1/64 and then say that the object must be outside the focal length?

Overall it was ok , but I made a retarded slip in question 6 (said tsquared =4 pisquared r cubed/G sqiared m squared, instead of just regular G and M) and that really messed me up for the rest of it. It seemed it was orbitting the earth l ike a zillion times a second

nyangnyang wrote: »
    I am in shock. I learned 26 of the 28 experiments. The 2 i didnt learn came up.Anyone able to work out the probability of that(im serious i wanna know)

:P

Can someone confirm that the Latent Heat is 3.3x10^5 or something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

Yep i think so. Twas pretty big!:p

NO MORE PHYSICS:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:
    :D
    NO MORE PHYSICS
    NO MORE PHYSICS
    NO MORE PHYSICS

:D:pac::):p:pac::D:):cool:

The Hitman wrote: »

It was definitely 20,000 pascals, don't be so hard on yourself!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

Slashman X wrote: »
    Can someone confirm that the Latent Heat is 3.3x10^5 or something similar?

I got 3.18 x 10^5?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 acidstorm

tabouli wrote: »
    Well I got that too, so maybe we're both wrong. :P

I thought it was ok, experiments were nice enough, although some of the long questions were pretty hard.

I got 14 pions. :/

i got 20000pa as well Holy Crap!!!

P=F/A, get F, replace A with smaller A and thats what I got

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

How many sunrises did ye get for 6?? I said 16 but I knew that from a previous trip to nasa :) will i still get marks?? I couldn;t work out the periodic time or any of that......

I got 15 I think.

I spent like half an hour trying to figure out what I was doing wrong because for no apparent reason, I decided the answer should closer to 2 or 3. :/

• Advertisement

tabouli wrote: »
    I got 3.18 x 10^5?
    :)

What did you get for the wavelength of monochromatic light?

I f'd up, got 8.08x10^-5 or something :(

Advertisement