Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hmmmm... Physics Paper, how was it for you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 robck1

I got 3.18x10^5 for the latent heat of fusion of ice.

And i got 80,000 Pa for the thumb tack question!
    Uh oh

For the sunrise question according to NASA an astronaut will see a sunrise 16 times a day, but i couldnt figure it out so i just wrote it down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 acidstorm

I got 15 I think.

I spent like half an hour trying to figure out what I was doing wrong because for no apparent reason, I decided the answer should closer to 2 or 3. :/

Me too, i got 15.45 but WTH ever heard of a half sunrise!? so approximated it to 15

585nm for monochromatic light?
    Pions anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭A-Bit-Dodge

Lf of ice: got 3.18 x 10^5.

Oh oh!!! did anyone say that the nucleus of an atom could deflect a beam of electrons??? my teacher looked at me like i had 10 heads when I said that... its right though isnt it???:confused:

is it moderator for the slowing down in a reactor btw???

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SimpleLogic

Slashman X wrote: »
    Can someone confirm that the Latent Heat is 3.3x10^5 or something similar?
    yah about 3.4x10^5

Why does a window not diffract light?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 acidstorm

Lf of ice: got 3.18 x 10^5.

Oh oh!!! did anyone say that the nucleus of an atom could deflect a beam of electrons??? my teacher looked at me like i had 10 heads when I said that... its right though isnt it???:confused:

is it moderator for the slowing down in a reactor btw???

Moderator yup I said heavy water!! Hope thats correct

Fusion of ice = TRUE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Slashman X

Burner- wrote: »
    yah about 3.4x10^5

Why does a window not diffract light?
    I know I'm wrong, but I said that the distance between the lines or whatever was big enough to allow light through. Waffling answers is fun.

You know for the Doppler Question, was there answer supposed to be the change from observer -> leaving and from approaching -> leaving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

Ordinary Paper was simple:pac:

Loudness in measured in decibals yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭A-Bit-Dodge

I know I'm wrong, but I said that the distance between the lines or whatever was big enough to allow light through. Waffling answers is fun.

balls, I said cos it was a smooth surface and there were not slits to diffract the light rays....

balls, I said cos it was a smooth surface and there were not slits to diffract the light rays....
    You're probably right tbh :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Calorimeterman

mattfender wrote: »
    Ordinary Paper was simple:pac:

Loudness in measured in decibals yeah?

Sound intensity is measured in decibels, so I suppose the answer's yeah.

I saw the blue paper afterwards, you had to define velocity and acceleration ... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 benzwOw

well i got 13 pions, WTF? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

I saw the blue paper afterwards, you had to define velocity and acceleration ... :confused:

I've seen that on Higher papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

I said that the distance between the lines was too big, and light won't diffract unless the distance is close to it's wavelength? No clue if that's right though...
    acidstorm wrote: »
    Me too, i got 15.45 but WTH ever heard of a half sunrise!? so approximated it to 15

Yerp, me too.

tabouli wrote: »
    I said that the distance between the lines was too big, and light won't diffract unless the distance is close to it's wavelength? No clue if that's right though...

Yerp, me too.
    Praying that's right tbh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

Im sure thats right. I remember seeing that. And sound defracts, because its wavelength is a lot bigger than light

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Whoops, I realise now I kept getting diffration and refraction mixed up through the whole exam haha

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Stin

i got 15 sunrises, and 7 pions

anyone know why a fluorescent tube is an efficient source of light? i just guessed that not much energy is lost through heat....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 rachelmcg1989

i completely paniced this morning, and decided to drop to ordinary, i wasnt even tinkin about droppin, but this morning, with everyone around me saying off physics formulae and definition and experiments that i had no idea about, i thot screw this ill take the easy way out!
    kinda regretted it at the start tho, cas i thot what if all the stuff i studied came up on the higher level paper, but from the looks of it, i wud have failed higher so i guess its good i dropped, still found it quite a tricky paper tho, waffled for alot of it...

one question; just say i decide next year my course isnt for me and i want to do another course, but it requires higher level physics, could i go back and just reset the physics exam for LC 2009, or would i have to reset every single exam? sorry for my stupidness(yes i know i said stupidness!)
    thanks x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

What did ye get for the average emf induced for Q8?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

Would anyone (with nothing better to do) like to scan it up plz? :o

-thanks in advance!!

• Advertisement

Stin wrote: »
    i got 15 sunrises, and 7 pions

anyone know why a fluorescent tube is an efficient source of light? i just guessed that not much energy is lost through heat....
    Ya thats what I said! Yes got 15 and 7 too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

The questions are ridiculous on ordinary...the question was "what is measured in decibals?" I said loudness:rolleyes: Hopefully examiner can give me at least 3..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

alan4cult wrote: »

I got 8V I think but I'm not very good with these electromagnetic shenanigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

Ok, I don't think I got the pion thing, but what was the combined kinetic energy? 2.535x10^-10?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

The Hitman wrote: »
    I got 20,000pa. Probably wrong as usual!!:)

thats right! i got that. :D woo!

I'm so pissed off, i used 3E8 for speed of light in q10. should have been 2.9979E8. how many marks would i lose for that???

Okay, here are ANSWERS:
    Please can somebody go over them ticking what they got etc...... thanks!!!!!!

Section A:
    Q1
    More accurate
    Split cork
    l against T^2 (i got the axes mixed up but my graph is still technically correct innit???)
    i got 9.47 m/s^2

Q2
    -preheated water so that errors that exist when water cools to room temp will be cancelled out by the same errors when cooling to final temp.
    -so no water affected the results. and so that the ice melted evenly and not at a very slow rate.
    -(mass of cal + water + ice) - (mass of cal + water) = mass of ice
    - 20.35 degrees cent.
    -5450 J
    -318063 J/Kg

Q4
    -diagram etc...
    -R against θ. I put R on X axis and θ on Y axis. Is this wrong??????
    -3.6Ω
    -1.9Ω
    -didnt use graph to explain it. didn't know how. anyone see the correction here? NOT linear

Q5
    -wight of floating body=weight of fluid displaced
    -20000Pa
    -f α 1/l
    -8E-19N
    -holes and electrons, + and - ions
    -magnetic field, electric field
    -Geiger Muller Tube (sp?) detects ionization in gas
    -not reactive, very small mass

Q6
    - newtons law...
    -centripetal force (gravity), towards center of earth
    -g=8.564m/s^2
    -he's moving in a circle. Force towards center=body's desire to travel in straight line (bullsh1t)
    -Kepler's 3rd. T=5600s
    -its period is not =24hours
    -15 times

Q8
    -def.
    -induced current opposes magnets motion. amplitude decreases
    -electrical--->Kinetic (wrong i think)
    -0.01s
    -0.02Wb
    -2V

Q10a
    -definitions etc...
    -U,T,S (wrong, answer is C,U,T)
    -baryons (3 quarks) mesons (1q 1anti-q)
    -uud
    -2.53E-10 J
    -14 pions (wrong)

Q11
    -373.15 K
    -def...
    -change in momentum = 5.4 kg m/s
    -i said a,b,gamma. but it was gamma, xray, infared etc...
    -def...
    -proved existance of atoms, allowed for more discoveries and future discoveries to be made. (I should have mentioned light being particles and waves)
    -2E-19 Joules
    -1.111E-9 Kg

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Bryan4president

tabouli wrote: »
    Ok, I don't think I got the pion thing, but what was the combined kinetic energy? 2.535x10^-10?

Damn I got that but then i changed it and added the two energies. Stupid physics. And why the hell did that bloody pendulum exp. have to come up?

Oh and anyone get like 5500 seconds for period of orbit.

I thought that was too short but didn't know what to change.

I got 2 volts for the average emf but a guy in my year got 1.6 volts and I think he's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Stin

alan4cult wrote: »

i got 2V

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

raah! wrote: »
    Did anyone do question 9 well?

For the part i "how near an object can be placed in front of the eye and still be in focus", was that just say the focal length was 1/64 and then say that the object must be outside the focal length?

Overall it was ok , but I made a retarded slip in question 6 (said tsquared =4 pisquared r cubed/G sqiared m squared, instead of just regular G and M) and that really messed me up for the rest of it. It seemed it was orbitting the earth l ike a zillion times a second

ah crap, nevermind, I jsut looked at it there.... seems pretty obvious, just use 1/u+ 1/v= 1/f......oh well

• Advertisement

Stin wrote: »
    i got 2V
    Oh thanks. I hope this is right! Thanks

Advertisement