Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hmmmm... Physics Paper, how was it for you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Hm, I got 14 pions... to the people who got 7, are you certain you took into account that both protons had kinetic energy of one gigajoule (or whatever it was)?
    That or I did it totally wrong...

Also, when it said about the range of the fundamental forces.. did you need exact numbers? I'd never learned them.. I mean, I knew infinite for two of them, but for the other two I just said "tiny: within the nucleus" or whatever...

Anyway, finished in 1.5 hours so I did the rest of the questions. Whoever corrects my paper will probably hate me. Used up almost the entire answerbook, and three pages of graph paper. Learned after my mocks fiasco. Didn't use graph paper, got half marks on all my graphs.

I was really happy about the general lack of demonstration experiments, I hate those. The one that came up (12 part d) I hadn't done, so I made it up... but I think I have enough other questions to cover me.

Question 5 was unusually difficult, I felt. That is, normally it's laughably easy and this time it was a little tricky. For the fluorescent bulb thing I just said because filament bulbs waste a lot of energy through heat... I think fluorescent bulbs get hot too so I wasn't too sure... And that damn pressure one, I was confused by the Pascals and thought it might be necessary to convert back to metres squared, so I ran away crying. Metaphorically.

Average emf induced, off the top of my head, was 2 volts.

And yeah got 15 sunrises.

For deflecting a beam of electrons, whoever asked, I just said an electric or magnetic field... I guess a nucleus could technically too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Stin wrote: »
    i got 2V

I'm actually gonna join the 2V camp. Was getting confused with the flux.

The average emf is just BA/t right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 acidstorm

Hm, I got 14 pions... to the people who got 7, are you certain you took into account that both protons had kinetic energy of one gigajoule (or whatever it was)?

For deflecting a beam of electrons, whoever asked, I just said an electric or magnetic field... I guess a nucleus could technically too...

The 1GeV had to go into the production of the 3 pions and their combined K.E because you had 2 protons being released again at the product side. so the 2 proton masses cancel on both sides

Electrons?? Yup exactly what I said

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

That or I did it totally wrong...

I got 14 too, really hope it's right...
    Also, when it said about the range of the fundamental forces.. did you need exact numbers? I'd never learned them.. I mean, I knew infinite for two of them, but for the other two I just said "tiny: within the nucleus" or whatever...

Same, I just said very short and infinite. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Adventure

For 5(b) anyone else get 20,000(!!:eek:) pa?

and for Q8

(i)0.01 sec
    (ii)0.02 Wb
    (iii)2 v
    ??????????????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Ya 14 pions would be right so. I knew I'd make that mistake of only taking one proton!
    A nucleus technically creates an electric field so its the same really.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

Mark200 wrote: »
    Considering I was just praying for a pass, I think I got about 60% which of course I'm delighted with.

More or less same here.. Wasn't expecting better than a D2.. I think I may have scraped a C :o But either way it's not going to even come close to having to count for my point (I hope :cool: ) I've never ever put in any effort with physics.. Just hate it, so a C would be a miracle lol

And yeah got 15 sunrises.

Nah I'm convinced it's one :p .. I guessed.. And then quickly left that question and did no.12 instead.. What was the answer to the Doppler question anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pocket aces

tabouli wrote: »
    I got 14 pions. :/

same :D

i thought it was a good paper- the experiment q.s were different (q.1 was unexpected), but i thought the electricity q.s were easy!

muffinman wrote: »
    Nah I'm convinced it's one :p .. I guessed.. And then quickly left that question and did no.12 instead.. What was the answer to the Doppler question anyone?

I got 1308Hz I think. So 212Hz difference.

211.65 Hz lower is what I got, thought the wording on that question was a bit confusing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Slashman X

More or less same here.. Wasn't expecting better than a D2.. I think I may have scraped a C :o But either way it's not going to even come close to having to count for my point (I hope :cool: ) I've never ever put in any effort with physics.. Just hate it, so a C would be a miracle lol

I got something like 208.33333333333333333333333333333333 and so on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Was it easier/harder than last year? Haven't seen the paper myself...

For Q11, where it asks why the quantum yoke was revolutionary... can you just pull your answer from the text?

That's pretty much what I did, only I stuck in some stuff about photons...energy...blah

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

acidstorm wrote: »
    The 1GeV had to go into the production of the 3 pions and their combined K.E because you had 2 protons being released again at the product side. so the 2 proton masses cancel on both sides
    My point was that it wasn't 1GeV, it was 2GeV. Because you have 2 protons with 1GeV of kinetic energy each.
    211.65 Hz lower is what I got, thought the wording on that question was a bit confusing.
    Aye I got something like that too. It was worded a bit strangely, I just tried to make it abundantly clear what I was doing in case they wanted some other answer. (Like what the new frequency was...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 m-i-t-s-u-k-o

Oh Physics!
    I love you! I really do but why oh why did you have to do that to me?!

I mean come on!
    Explain in terms of electron movement why light is emitted when a metal is heated!!??

My point was that it wasn't 1GeV, it was 2GeV. Because you have 2 protons with 1GeV of kinetic energy each.

Yup I see it now. Thanks anyways, I think I did an extra one lol

Monochromatic light wavelength any1??

I got 1308Hz I think. So 212Hz difference.

Yay I got 211.65Hz as well.. Totally threw me at first.. Dunno why must have been the wording.. 28 marks there methinks

I got 8.08 x 10^-5 or something cosúil le sin

Yup I see it now. Thanks anyways, I think I did an extra one lol

583/584nm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Adventure

For acceleration due to gravity in the simple pendelum exp, anyone

get 10.24 m/s^2:confused:

Oh Yeah! Did Anyone do the toaster question?? What was the heat energy generated?

Adventure wrote: »
    For acceleration due to gravity in the simple pendelum exp, anyone

get 10.24 m/s^2:confused:

9.54m/s^2 :confused:

For wavelength I got 5.88 X 10^-7

9.53 m/s^2 :D

Oh Yeah! Did Anyone do the toaster question?? What was the heat energy generated?

Don't have the paper but I think it was as simple as (120)(Wattage)(.96) but I'm not sure..

Got about the same - 9.56.

Don't have the paper but I think it was as simple as (120)(Wattage)(.96) but I'm not sure..
    Awesome Thanks

g- 9.8696 m/s :D

• Advertisement

There were so many mistakes on the paper! My supervisor went around to each of us telling us what to cross out.

Advertisement